Burnley Billiard Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnley Billiard Works

Does anyone know anything about this company, which was set up by Willie Holt about a hundred years ago?

There are some threads way back on here and including one from 100uper(?) stating that all cues with Burnley Billiard Works badges would have been made in the 20s or 30s. It would be great if there are any copies of old catalogues available or on the internet but I am struggling to find much more out at the moment.

Reason I ask is I have an 'exhibition' cue which looks like it would fit with those dates, it is an inch longer than usual, has alternate hand splices of ebony and rosewood and judging by it's condition - straight but dirty from storage - is hardly used at all and still has the original wafer and tip on it. I'm thinking of giving it a light clean and re-oil/wax but am in no rush.

Thanks

The Burnley Works was an off shot from the Holt, as the family split and went to different locations, off the top of my head I cant recall the names but one son went one way and father and son went another.
    I have found many articles in publications and newspapers and did post in one of the previous threads - I hit 11 threads with a advanced search
    The cue you have may be a sales aid, demonstrating their skills and range of woods, etc.
    Can you add a photo or five of the cue?

You can use image-sharing sites like ImgBB or Tinypic, to upload your photos and copy the "for forums..." code, paste this into your TSF post to share
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

OK, I found those 11, it seems it may be alternate ebony and mahogany now I take a closer look at it. I'll try and sort some pics out.

Comment

Not great pics but it's dark in Cornwall and I was using a mobile. it is 58" long and straight and I've just given it a quick wipe down and rub with a cloth that I used previously to oil cues and it's perfectly playable as it is and matched the patina of the metal case which I have also given a quick rub down. It might look nice if I strip and refinish it so it is clean and the grain is clear but for something 90 years old I might leave it as is.

Still can't find any old catalogues, I've got rid of my old billiard books, thinking there may have been ads in those if printed in the 20s or 30s?

Comment

As I remember this cue, the round badge is fixed with a single screw in the middle, and has "Burnley Billiard Works" around the outside with "Exhibition Cue" in the middle. I've also seen a similar round badge cue with just "Maker" and "Cue" in the middle.

As was previously mentioned, in 1916 Willie Holt was forced out of the company he founded, and he relocated to Blackpool where he set up another business which started trading in 1920 as "Willie Holt and Sons". To counter the threat of another company trading under the same name, the Burnley company, which by now was a publicly listed, started to emphasise the "Burnley Billiard Works" part of their name in adverts and on products (billiard table plates, etc.) while still retaining "Willie Holt Ltd" usually in smaller text. Not many of their products make no reference at all to the full company name, and I wonder if these cues are connected with their venture into billiard halls which was running at the same time. This was operating under a separate company "The Burnley Billiard Halls and Works Ltd." and they had billiard rooms all over the country. Possibly these cues were intended for use (or sale) in these rooms. It is a more logical abbreviation, but just speculation on my part. I think your date of 1930s is about right. Could be post-war if it is a billiard-hall cue, but 30s is probably more likely.

Comment

Thanks for that, the cue was a bonus as it was the metal tube case I was after which has a brass oval badge with Burnley Billiard Works and Willie Holt on it so I'm guessing someone bought them both, used them and they've been in a dusty corner for decades. Seems a miracle to find one that old with what looks like the original tip on it that is still playable, though I'll reserve judgement on how it feels till I get it on a table. Much as I'd like to see what the wood looks like properly cleaned and oiled, original patina is in these days so I'll probably leave it as is.

My hunt for catalogues showing the cue from the 20s or 30s continues..

Comment

Working...
            X