Free Ball Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Ball Question

I know that a free ball is called when both sides of the object ball cannot be struck. However what is the rule regarding free ball when the cue ball is potted? Someone told me that both sides of the object ball have to be able to be struck from every position in the D, otherwise it is a free ball. Is this true?

No that is NOT true, as long as you can hit a ball on on both sides from ANYWHERE in the D then it's not a free ball

Comment

That's correct because if the cueball is potted then it can only be placed within the D and the ref will then decide if the ball(s) on can be hit on both sides from anywhere within the D and if they cannot he will award a free ball. It's a rule that is open to interpretation and needs a ref so when you have no ref and a dispute over a free ball....
      www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

OK, so i got two contradictory answers...

Comment

We both give the same answer but in slightly different ways.

Someone told me that both sides of the object ball have to be able to be struck from every position in the D, otherwise it is a free ball. Is this true?

That's affirmed.

Edit: ok sorry jrc750 I see what you mean now. It doesn't have to be hit on both sides from 'everywhere' in the D. I should shut up right now
          Last edited by MrRottweiler; 24 February 2018, 10:57 PM.
          www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Good Day, I think this rule says "hit the ball on both sides" it is very hard to understand that it is only used in the context that it is a visual line on both sides of a red that can be seen from a single spot in the "D", hence if there is a red on corner of pack, you cannot hit both sides because reds are in the way, but know if other reds were not there you could, so its not a free ball.
            I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

The rule states "both extreme edges" and that reds are considered individually. A red can not be a snookering ball to another red.

Extreme edges because as the cue ball gets closer to the object ball the angle and the extreme edges that can be contacted changes

"Both sides" was confused by some as meaning the diameter of the object ball perpendicular to the line with the cue ball.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

If there is ANY position in the D where the cue ball can be placed such that both extreme edges can be struck then there is no free ball. Just because there might be one position where you can't strike both edges does not give a free ball if there are other positions where you can.
                Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Good Points Londonlad and DeanH, these rules can be very confusing at first, this site as helped me understand the rules with pictures and rules explained in ways that are easier to understand. Cheers
                  I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Wouldn't it be more fun to put the CB tight behind the Brown and then put the opponent in )

Comment

The wording in the rules is that you cannot be snookered by a cushion or another ball "on" !!!!

So if the striker is on a red then this applies to any of the other reds

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                        Wouldn't it be more fun to put the CB tight behind the Brown and then put the opponent in )
                        We run a quick after dinner 6 reds comp at the annual draw

Any foul means ball in hand - and that is exactly what the 'show-offs' did !!!! - Picked up the cue ball placed behind the brown and then asked the opponent to play again !!!!! - We soon changed the rule

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                          Except you couldn't even do that lol, once the ball is placed behind the brown you cannot then say play again

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            Except you couldn't even do that lol, once the ball is placed behind the brown you cannot then say play again
                            I know, but it would be an excellent twist\idea )

Comment

Originally Posted by tmax View Post
                              The wording in the rules is that you cannot be snookered by a cushion or another ball "on" !!!!

So if the striker is on a red then this applies to any of the other reds
                              What a Thread that was about the middle pocket, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X