Best way to store cues long term.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to store cues long term.

Whats the best way to store cues you are not playing with to keep them straight? I know to try to avoid changes in temperature and humidity but is it best to keep them vertical in a cue rack or horizontal in a cue case? A rack where all the weight forces are going straight down towards the butt seems to make sense but on the other hand cue is supported over it's whole length in a case. Is there a "best practice" for storing cues?

I just keep mine in cue case in cupboard in bed room.sranding upright against corner and got them secure so they don't move
    Current playing cue Trevor White
    3/4 ash cue

Comment

Mine are upright in their cases, away (as you say) from extreme changes of temperature, etc.
      They are all under the stairs so away from any chance of being knocked over or bashed.
      Last edited by DeanH; 31 December 2018, 01:46 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

My snooker cue is in its case under my bed. I have kids, and that is the safest way to keep it safe. I keep my 9 ball cues upright in their case near the front door (I use these more frequently, so this is more convenient). They've been knocked over a few times, so not ideal for curious or rampant children. I'll relocate these if they get knocked over again, but they're centre split cues in a very sturdy case with a lot of internal cushioning. The risk of damage isn't as great as with a one piece or 3/4 snooker cue and the cases available for these. The Americans are a step ahead with their cases in terms of their interiors.

Comment

The vertical or horizontal position of a cue will have no impact. Humidity and temperature are what will affect the wood.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
            My snooker cue is in its case under my bed. I have kids, and that is the safest way to keep it safe. I keep my 9 ball cues upright in their case near the front door (I use these more frequently, so this is more convenient). They've been knocked over a few times, so not ideal for curious or rampant children. I'll relocate these if they get knocked over again, but they're centre split cues in a very sturdy case with a lot of internal cushioning. The risk of damage isn't as great as with a one piece or 3/4 snooker cue and the cases available for these. The Americans are a step ahead with their cases in terms of their interiors.
            Being near the front door, there is more chance of temperature change, which is the thing that is more likely to cause problems.
            For that one you've always wanted...
            https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
              Being near the front door, there is more chance of temperature change, which is the thing that is more likely to cause problems.
              Agreed...!

Comment

I don't worry about it too much to be honest. My doors not draughty, so other than a brief drop in temperature through the winter when someone comes through the door, its going to be the same temperature as anywhere else in the house. Probably has more heat variation when I travel to the club and back, and I'm not about to start worrying about that.

If you use your cue a few times a week, you'd have to do something crazy for your cue to warp. If you don't, long term storage in a case either horizontal or vertical should be fine, as long as its not being stored somewhere moist or at extreme hot or cold. Shouldn't be a problem in the UK unless you have damp.

Comment

Working...
                X