Disrespectful or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disrespectful or not?

Playing shots with your eyes closed and eating sweets between shots...given from a member of the audience.

I think Williams is playing games with Higgins and it's rattling him.

With all of the etiquette in the game, is this not a touch disrespectful?

not at all, whats the difference between thinking and doing

Comment

Originally Posted by mcsilks View Post
      Playing shots with your eyes closed and eating sweets between shots...given from a member of the audience.

Could have been alot worse,imagine if a member of the audience gave him a large Black Pudding in Batter lol

Comment

I missed this afternoons session because I had to work so didn't see this but if Mark is doing it while John is at the table or coming to the table then it's disrespectful. I like Mark and he's one of few players that likes to have a bit of fun during matches but if it's designed to bother the opponent then it's not on and Mark is too classy for that.
        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
          I missed this afternoons session because I had to work so didn't see this but if Mark is doing it while John is at the table or coming to the table then it's disrespectful. I like Mark and he's one of few players that likes to have a bit of fun during matches but if it's designed to bother the opponent then it's not on and Mark is too classy for that.
          I think that was the case

Comment

Disrespectful? Absolutely 100% NO!!!!!!!!!!!!. Not even close.

Comment

When I play I eat sweets, crisps even chocolate sometimes, as well as drinking lager, coke, coffee and occasionally a cup of tea. No one's ever got upset about it. I've played shots at the end of a frame with my eyes closed, with the cue behind my back and one handed. Again, no one has got upset. I've never done any of these things out of disrespect, I think maybe you're reading too much into it. Your name's not Darren is it?

Comment

Very. I think he should be banned from next year's tournament for consuming too many calories while playing.

It's a joke. I mean, he comes out, shakes hands, has massive respect for his opponent, seems like a great guy, doesn't take life too seriously, but then has the temerity to eat a Minstrel!!! Absolutely joke.

Guy should be banned like Stephen Lee.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Tend to agree. The fact he was getting a reaction from the audience could be seen as disruptive to Joh Higgins, so indeed a tad
                  disrespectful.

Comment

He does the eyes closed thing to test the reliability of his delivery. I very much doubt his opponent is even aware, and if so probably cares less.
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                      Very. I think he should be banned from next year's tournament for consuming too many calories while playing.

It's a joke. I mean, he comes out, shakes hands, has massive respect for his opponent, seems like a great guy, doesn't take life too seriously, but then has the temerity to eat a Minstrel!!! Absolutely joke.

Guy should be banned like Stephen Lee.

Between frames is fine. I have no problem with that at all.

Where I do have an issue is that Williams was both asking for a bag of sweets from an audience member and eating them while Higgins was approaching the table and then taking his shot. When Williams came to the table to take his shot, he was still finishing off his sweets, which incidentally might be considered as eating at the table which is against the rules of snooker.

I think Williams did this as it was a deliberate attempt at unsettling his opponent and it clearly worked as he took all of the frames in that mini session.

Hendry clearly thought it unprofessional judging by the look on his face.

The closing of his eyes during shots is fine as he is doing that when the frames are won and testing his own action.

Comment

I doubt there was any malice involved at all. I was there and to be honest, if it wasn't for the commentators drawing attention to it, I would not have known - so the notion that he's trying to use the audience to create a reaction and pout John off is simply far fetched. The commentators distract the players far more with their jokes and comments.

Also, you need to be consistent here. Watch the BBC summary of the tournament - in it, you'll see the same guy giving sweets to another player. This guy was also featured by the BBC as a 'super fan' - he's been coming to the crucible for over 20years for the whole 17 days with his family. I think the players know him informally - he sits in the front row for most matches.

I think Mark did so well to play the evening session with Barry and then lift himself to play the final the next afternoon - most impressive. And when I'm tired - during night shifts for example - you get the munchies - everyone does - you need sweets, crisps and fatty food to give you a boost - I genuinely think that's all he was up to. I've never noted him as a bad sportsman. If your criticism was he doesn't take the life seriously enough, then I'd agree - but that's also one of his attributes.

Comment

I think Williams did this as it was a deliberate attempt at unsettling his opponent and it clearly worked as he took all of the frames in that mini session.
                          So going for everything, potting most and getting the run when he missed had nothing to do with it then ? Higgins was clearly fuming about Williams chewing something and that made him balls up all the half chances he had

Some people need to learn about what respect actually means, number one it means that when you're going to a live snooker event you leave your bloody phone at home because none of you can be trusted to leave it alone and check facebook/instagram/bet365/or whatever between shots, let alone between frames.

Now if Williams had been smashing up a Toblerone with a hammer it might have been unsettling, but quietly chewing a Minstrel ! come on.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Phones - bloody phones - unbelievable! I watched 5 sessions last week and someone's phone went off in every single game - crazy! I expect Mark arranged this in addition to his munching ploy, and his threat to go naked would put most opponents of just at the thought of it

Comment

Whether Marks antics actually unsettled John or not is not really the point, it could have done. The very first time he heard a reaction from the crowd should have been enough for him to realise it could be seen as disruptive therefore not to be repeated.
                              Must admit it was a brilliant final and great television. Congratulations Mark Williams.

Comment

Working...
                              X