Minimum Maximum break teaser!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Maximum break teaser!

This one was asked in a local pub quiz, glad to say I got it correct but there was much complaining and moaning from the other teams after the answer was given!

Question:
    What is the lowest possible break achievable for a total clearance

Is it 44? All 15 reds potted first shot followed by yellow then all colours in sequence?
    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

It is indeed, but try explaining that to 40 drunk people ><

Comment

37....same break as above...but in off on black....
        H.b.142

Comment

Originally Posted by Keltyx View Post
          It was hard enough explaining that a 147 wasn't infact the maximum break at a pub quiz I once attended, so I feel your pain!
          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
            37....same break as above...but in off on black....
            Yeah 37 . I remember Alan Trig posting this question somewhere

Comment

It can't be 37, because if there's a foul on the black it is NOT a total clearance. A total clearance is where you legally pot ALL of the object balls. I agree with 44.
              Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
                It can't be 37, because if there's a foul on the black it is NOT a total clearance. A total clearance is where you legally pot ALL of the object balls. I agree with 44.

Well if you make a total clearance AND pot the white then to me it's a total clearance + an extra ball

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                  Well if you make a total clearance AND pot the white then to me it's a total clearance + an extra ball
                  Well you get two extra points for in-off so if anything the break is 46 with an in-off. lol

Comment

I am not sure of the 'math' used by others in their response but 15 x 3 (red yellow combos) = 45 + 27 (colour clearance) = 72 where I learned to calculate (Canadian pro John Bear ran a perfect yellow ball game v me in a exhibition match - red ball covered the yellow spot and black was the only open spot, After running about 6 or 7 yellows, John looks at me and says 'never had a perfect yellow ball game' and proceeded to run one).

But if the player pots the black and scratches the score is 65 and all balls remain down.

Of course if one is using base 17 (assuming no pot black and scratch) to calculate the clearance, the answer is 44. (68 / 17 = 4; 72 - 68 = a remainder of 4 so 44 in base 17

Then again if the referee fails to re-spot the last yellow and no one clues in until after the game is over then 15 x 3 = 45 + 25 (no yellow as part of the colour clearance) =70 as the legally scored total clearance; and 63 it the player pots the black and scratches

Comment

Originally Posted by HemiRR View Post
                      I am not sure of the 'math' used by others in their response but 15 x 3 (red yellow combos) = 45 + 27 (colour clearance) = 72 where I learned to calculate (Canadian pro John Bear ran a perfect yellow ball game v me in a exhibition match - red ball covered the yellow spot and black was the only open spot, After running about 6 or 7 yellows, John looks at me and says 'never had a perfect yellow ball game' and proceeded to run one).

But if the player pots the black and scratches the score is 65 and all balls remain down.

Of course if one is using base 17 (assuming no pot black and scratch) to calculate the clearance, the answer is 44. (68 / 17 = 4; 72 - 68 = a remainder of 4 so 44 in base 17

Then again if the referee fails to re-spot the last yellow and no one clues in until after the game is over then 15 x 3 = 45 + 25 (no yellow as part of the colour clearance) =70 as the legally scored total clearance; and 63 it the player pots the black and scratches
                      To get 44, you have to pot all 15 reds in one stroke, take yellow as a colour, then the six colours in sequence.

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post

To be pedantic, you can NEVER 'pot' the cue ball. A pot is a legal potting of an OBJECT ball. Even an object ball cannot be potted in a stroke where a foul is committed.

Comment

Originally Posted by Keltyx View Post
                          All the reds potted in the first shot?

So the answer doesn't have to observe the laws of physics then?
                          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
                            To get 44, you have to pot all 15 reds in one stroke, take yellow as a colour, then the six colours in sequence.
                            Actually to be pedantic the minimum maximum would be 49 not 44, because after potting all 15 reds in one shot you would need to take the highest value color on table (black) to qualify for the tag of "Maximum", taking the yellow after the great 15 red pot stroke would get you the minimum total clearance Not the minimum Maximum

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                              All the reds potted in the first shot?

So the answer doesn't have to observe the laws of physics then?
                              Actually, that very much does observe the laws of physics. Take an infinite amount of tries, and an infinite amount off table layouts, add in infinite cue power, and sooner or later all 15 reds will fall in one shot.

Unimaginable does not make impossible!

Comment

Working...
                              X