Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solo practice / match practice

folks,

as a rough guide what should the percentage of solo practice to match practice..

apart from a club night - the rest of my time is spent doing solo (6-8hrs)

the solo practice is going well, lineups, t lineup, long potting exercises, rest play, its all going well.
    i am scoring and potting for fun i am pretty happy with that.

however in a match it's a different matter.. (of course this could be pressure/bottle - your opponent, the table etc)

but i find it hard to bring that fluency and accuracy into a game..

so would playing more frames against a mix of players help?

can too much solo practice be bad?

what does everyone else do?

IMO Playing regular matches will help cope with nerves/pressure.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
      IMO Playing regular matches will help cope with nerves/pressure.
      It all boils down to self confidence during play. If we go in a match with low confidence, we know we lost the game before it finishes. Of course, solo practice helps too.

Comment

70% solo practice and 30% match practice is what is ideal for me. It keeps me improving while staying match sharp. However I've heard 60/40 suggested as well, I think that is fine too. The key for me is to actively attempt to implement the things into match practice that you have been working on in solo practice. At the moment I am work on implementing the same positive shot selection that I would in solo practice, while trying not to be overly aggressive. In otherwords, I'm working to find the ideal balance for my skill set.

Comment

thanks guys..

somtimes you just need to ask the question, when deep down you sorta know what the answer is.

i was on terry griffiths website and one of common faults is too much solo not enough match (with a variety of practice partners/skill levels)

he advocates a 30-70 split..

30% solo 70% match...

unless you are working on a technical change to your game..

i'll try that see how it goes - thanks for the responses..

Comment

I hardly practiced on my own. But I am quite lucky as in my club we have some good players a few 100 breakers when I started going in that club around 1998/99 my highest break was in the 40s I was a good potter but couldn’t play snooker really. I I started playing with these guys and after around 3years of getting my ass handed to me I started to compete with them and was knocking regular 70/80 breaks in

Comment

More solo time if your regular breaks are less than 50 your making too many unforced errors or have poor technique or shot selection.

Don't just practice line ups and routines, they are useful for learning break building patterns and fluency but pay attention what shot's your not comfy on or often break down on in a match that means a missed pot or positional shot.

Set that shot up and play it for an hour in isolation, do that every day.
              By week 2 you'll love that shot and never miss one.

Turn weaknesses into strengths no point practising the little mark allen stun shots if your already very good at them, but if your garbage at taking the blue in and out of baulk then that's the one to devote the time on.

Comment

Solo practice = technique/ shot making / safety / strategy
                Match practice = performance / result

As for percentage?
                what suits you and your lifestyle
                "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                National Snooker Expo
                25-27 October 2019
                http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Working...
                X