The greatest match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest match

Right now people are debating the greatest shots and greates players, so why not the greatest match??

Which match stands in your memory as the best? A match where one player was playing exceptionally good, but still lost by huge amounts because of his opponents unearthy skills in that particular match, or a match where luck changed everything or just a match where every shot from both players was at the highest quality? A great comeback or pure thrill?

The 2006 Masters final between O'Sullivan and Higgins. Amazingly, the last ever major final between these two players, even though they have gone on to win six of the following seven World titles and have pretty much traded the title of the best player in the world between them for these last eight years.

That match really had everything... O'Sullivan took a 3-0 lead with two total clearances in a row. Higgins then won the next five frames, coming out on top in some of the best safety exchanges I've ever seen. The evening session was close throughout, Higgins leading 7-5 at one point and O'Sullivan coming back to lead 9-8. It had decider written all over it right from the start, and what a decider it was... I can still remember almost every shot Higgins played in that clearance, from the opening red to the middle which only just dropped, then the excellent cannon to develop red and pink, and of course the double on the last red with perfect position on the black. I think it was past 1am here, and I remember just walking around the house in the dark for about an hour after the match, reflecting on what I'd just seen. I've had a similar feeling after some of the other close finals over the years, but never quite like that... :smile:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      The 2006 Masters final between O'Sullivan and Higgins. Amazingly, the last ever major final between these two players, even though they have gone on to win six of the following seven World titles and have pretty much traded the title of the best player in the world between them for these last eight years.

That match really had everything... O'Sullivan took a 3-0 lead with two total clearances in a row. Higgins then won the next five frames, coming out on top in some of the best safety exchanges I've ever seen. The evening session was close throughout, Higgins leading 7-5 at one point and O'Sullivan coming back to lead 9-8. It had decider written all over it right from the start, and what a decider it was... I can still remember almost every shot Higgins played in that clearance, from the opening red to the middle which only just dropped, then the excellent cannon to develop red and pink, and of course the double on the last red with perfect position on the black. I think it was past 1am here, and I remember just walking around the house in the dark for about an hour after the match, reflecting on what I'd just seen. I've had a similar feeling after some of the other close finals over the years, but never quite like that... :smile:
      That was a great match and unbalievable brilliant clearance by Higgins.
      Box the chimp.

Comment

The 1997 Liverpool victoria charity challenge final between Ronnie and Hendry should definitely get a mention. Very high standard snooker and amazing final frame 147 by Hendry.

The 2004 Masters final between Ronnie and Paul Hunter was also a very entertaining match.
        Box the chimp.

Comment

I liked the match where O'Sullivan hammered Ricky Walden 6-0 in less then a hour at the Masters. A bit one sided I know but what an amazing display of snooker brilliance

Comment

As a Ronnie fan, one of my favorite matches is the match between Ronnie and Ali Carter in the 2007 Northern Ireland trophy.
            It was a best of 9 match and Ronnie made 5 centuries including a 147! Not a good day for Carter
            Box the chimp.

Comment

Higgins comeback against Davis in the UK final was an amazing match to watch. Ronnie's performance against Hendry in the world semi where he won easy was an incredible display as was Hendrys ten in a row against white. For a session, Parrots first session against white in the world final was incredible.

Comment

Hendry Vs Williams - 1998 Masters final ?
                "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                  Hendry Vs Williams - 1998 Masters final ?
                  Was that the respot?

Comment

I fell in love with the game watching the China Open final 2011, Trump vs Selby, great stuff!

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                      Was that the respot?
                      Yes. Final black safety for about 5 mins. Hendry gets a chance to middle, slow roll and catched the knuckle. Willimama sinks it to green pocket.

If you can find a clip, you can see Williams in the background offering Hendry his hand when he plays the black.
                      Last edited by Billy; 5 March 2014, 08:34 PM.
                      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

There's too many to mention. Two matches that spring to my mind though, is the 1982 semi-final Higgins v White, and Hendry's remarkable comeback against Hallett to win the 1991 Masters, where at one point Hallett took an 8-2 lead..
                        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

When Hendry shut Ronnie up at the 2002 world finals.
                          "Am too good not to win this tournament" - Stephen Hendry

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                            Yes. Final black safety for about 5 mins. Hendry gets a chance to middle, slow roll and catched the knuckle. Willimama sinks it to green pocket.

If you can find a clip, you can see Williams in the background offering Hendry his hand when he plays the black.
                            Yes, was a great final. Was a pivotal time for Hendry too.

Comment

I think the match in the Masters 2006 I think it was - Higgins V Ronnie - Just don't think it gets better than that one - still wondering how that red dropped in the middle -
                              It was sublime snooker -by both players what a match.

Comment

Working...
                              X