Cleaning snooker balls, dish washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning snooker balls, dish washer?

Hi, got a set of 1G balls and they are needing a good clean, tried cleaning them in warm water with some washing up liquid but never got them near as clean as I hoped. While playing today my mate asked me " do you think putting them in a dish washer would be ok?"
    So, not too sure about this, expensive set of balls. If it's ok then I'm sure it would remove the greasy surface of the balls.
    Any of you guys done this before? Anyone think it would be ok?

Cheers Ricky

don't put them in a dishwasher

just get some Aramith Ball Restorer and Polish (not just the Cleaner) [renzie had some]
    it works well and with a bit of elbow grease you can get your balls back to good
    I put a favourite film on, get rid of the family for the afternoon and settle down with a couple of cloths (one "wipe on" and one "wipe off") :biggrin:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Cheers for replying, I have this cleaner and used it to removes some marks on the balls, it will take plenty elbow grease to do the full set with this stuff, will give it a go though.
      Just curious to why you say don't put them in the dishwasher ?

Cheers Ricky

Comment

Originally Posted by Ricky2112 View Post
        Cheers for replying, I have this cleaner and used it to removes some marks on the balls, it will take plenty elbow grease to do the full set with this stuff, will give it a go though.
        Just curious to why you say don't put them in the dishwasher ?

Cheers Ricky
        Why not just stick your snooker balls in the dishwasher and see how it's goes, if they come out ruined at least you know next time.

Comment

I recall a post where the balls went misty after a time in a dishwasher
          could only be tempbut the tablet stuff could be too caustic for the surface of the balls
          personally I would not trust it

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
            Why not just stick your snooker balls in the dishwasher and see how it's goes, if they come out ruined at least you know next time.
            Ye will do that bud, only £190 quid if it doesn't work, thanks for you expert advice
            Cheers Ricky

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              I recall a post where the balls went misty after a time in a dishwasher
              could only be tempbut the tablet stuff could be too caustic for the surface of the balls
              personally I would not trust it
              Cheers Dean

Comment

just don't use furniture polish on them
                they look good but slide on the table like buggery

Comment

Don't put balls in a dish washer with dish washer detergent. The detergent destroys stainless steel pans so god knows what it will do to the balls. Try silicone spray, it's a cleaner and obviously also a lubricant. After a quick spray and rub my 1Gs are uber shiny and faster over the cloth. Soudal make a silicone spray available on ebay for £5 shipped.

Comment

I can definitely vouch for the Aramtih Restorer being a good product. For a while I was trying the cleaner/polish, but couldn't seem to get that shine back. I got me some restorer and it works great! Ideally you need to apply restorer first (doesn't need much) and give them a really good going over. Then finish with the polish. Use a good microfibre cloth as well. Its quite hard work if you do it right! But you'll be really pleased with the results I am sure!

Comment

solution 30 optical lens cleaner.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BALL-STAR-...item3374de5711

Only £323 + postage but first rate balls afterwards.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BALL-STAR-...item3374de5711

Only £323 + postage but first rate balls afterwards.
                          Looks great but way too expensive, I found a few good videos on YouTube on how pool balls are cleaned and they have come up with some great contraptions. Going to try and copy the one that is a couple of buckets lined around the side and you use an electric buffer to do the work. One bucket with buffing pads for cleaning and the other using polishing buffs. In one bucket you do the cleaning of the balls and in the other you polish them. The guy actually sells his idea on eBay, but I'm sure it is easily made.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

I have always not liked the idea of using these machiens where the balls are rubbed against themselves or something else, especially at fast speed; yes they may come out shiny but the abrasion must not be good for the surface longevity and in the end you wear the balls down quicker than normal use and hand cleaning.
                            IMO

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              I have always not liked the idea of using these machiens where the balls are rubbed against themselves or something else, especially at fast speed; yes they may come out shiny but the abrasion must not be good for the surface longevity and in the end you wear the balls down quicker than normal use and hand cleaning.
                              IMO
                              Thanks for that input Dean, got me thinking now! Don't suppose it will be hard to come up with something to do one ball at a time with a buffer. I have arthritis in the hand and just cleaning the white with the aramith cleaner does my hand in.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

Working...
                              X