Snookered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snookered

Can anyone give me explanation of this rule ?

"The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a
    cushion obstructs the cue-ball and is closer to the cue-ball than any obstructing ball not on, the cue-ball is not
    snookered"

I play on Reds.There are two Reds remaining.
    First Red is obstructed by Color(eg. Blue)
    and the second Red is obstructed by cushion.
    if the curved face of a cushion is closer to the cue-ball than the Blue , the cue-ball is not
    snookered ?
    But if Blue is closer to the cue-ball than the the curved face of a cushion , the cue-ball is
    snookered ?

This is called being angled. The cue ball comes to rest in the jaws of a pocket and as the jaws are considered part of the playing surface even though you can't see a ball, you're still not 'snookered'.
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

The OP scenario doesn't really work because you've got different obstructions on different balls on.

The bit about a curved part of the cushion means that if you're in the jaw and there's a ball not on really close to it, obstructing a path to say the last red, but the curved part of the cushion would have prevented a direct hit anyway, then this IS snookered, becasue the ball not on would be struck before the curve of the cushion.

It's an extension of the general rule that it is the *nearest* obstructing ball which is the *effective* snookering ball.
      Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

I've got different obstructions on different balls on.First Red is obstructed by cushion and second Red is obstructed by Blue.Is this a snooker ?

Comment

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17K...9n9Zc7u5E55uBE

Comment

Originally Posted by catania View Post
            I've got different obstructions on different balls on.First Red is obstructed by cushion and second Red is obstructed by Blue.Is this a snooker ?
            No, because a ball not on is not obstructing you on the ball that is obstructed by the curved face of the cushion, and as you quote, the cushion cannot give you a snooker.

Comment

It is difficult to tell from that image whether you could hit the right hand edge (as you play the shot) of the ball on the cushion. If you can hit that edge then you are not snookered.

If you cannot hit the extreme right edge of the red on the cushion because you'd hit the blue first then you are snookered because the blue is closer to the cue ball than the curve of the cushion.

The second red the other side of the blue is a red herring. It is immaterial. Yes, you're snookered on that ball, but whether there is a freee ball all depends on whether you're snookered on the other one. If you are then the blue is the effective snookering ball (obstruction) for all balls on.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation.

Comment

And what about this situation (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zL...8_0ndzEKubu4ig) ?
                  I am on the Reds.
                  The blue ball is obstructing a path to hit central part and the right edge of the red ball (from the view of the striker).
                  The cushion is obstructing a path to hit the left edge oft the red ball(from the view of the striker).
                  The cushion is closer to the cue ball than the blue ball.
                  Does it mean that this is not a snooker ?

Comment

correct - not a snooker

Sec 2.17(e) The cue ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a cushion obstructs the cue ball and is closer to the cue ball than any obstructing ball not on, the cue ball is not snookered.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

if Im in the jaw of the pocket and can not hit the red on. Im not snookered. I play the shot and miss the red.

Fault 4 and miss will be called?
                      What after 3 misses. Do I loose the frame?

Comment

In my opinion : If you can't see the red , in affect i would say that you are snookered . Therefore you can't lose the frame after 3 attempts .
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

The point is, Im NOT snookered because the jaw of the pocket is the first (and only) obstruction to hit the ball-on directly.

confusing......

Comment

Originally Posted by bartito View Post
                            The point is, Im NOT snookered because the jaw of the pocket is the first (and only) obstruction to hit the ball-on directly.
                            confusing......
                            Not sure of the three miss rule but maybe its a case of you need to be able to hit full ball before any loss of frame applies.

Comment

Originally Posted by bartito View Post

confusing......
                              Correct you are not snookered BUT there is no straight path to full ball contact so a warning will not be given; only further Fouls and a Miss calls, if the referee deems you have to the best of your ability to hit the ball on, etc.

The rule for the three attempts says that if there is a straight path to contact the ball on then the warning will be given after the 2nd attempt; as the curved part of the cushion is the obstruction and no such straight path exists, no warning will be given just further Foul and a Miss calls, as appropriate. The rule does not state "being snookered" only a straight path
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X