2020 pricing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 pricing.

First five or six rows reclassified as premium and 100 smackaronees a head next year.

All standard tickets for first round 39-45 smackaronees a head up from 35 this year.

Didn't dare look at later in detail at later stages, but it seems a ticket to the semi-final in the cheap seats is the same as a first round premium ticket.

Keeping the poor people at the back. Booked a B&B for two nights for what it would have cost me to upgrade one of the two sessions to front row, ludicrous. Doesn't seem to much consideration for the fact that as well as tickets many fans need to fork out for hotels, train tickets etc.

The pricing is reasonable when compared to other sporting events.
    The average premier league football match now cost £45+ for 90mins of entertainment...
    The only question for me is; who out there is worth watching live for that kind of money. For me there's only one answer and that is ROS
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
      The pricing is reasonable when compared to other sporting events.
      The average premier league football match now cost £45+ for 90mins of entertainment...
      The only question for me is; who out there is worth watching live for that kind of money. For me there's only one answer and that is ROS
      I don't agree with this comparison to be honest. Premier League football is overpriced even in the general sporting arena.

For the 100, I don't think there's any player I think is worth it and would seriously rethink/give up my plans to go. Although it has to be said even compared to other big sporting events for individual sports is reasonably in line with others; perhaps cheaper if you account for the far fewer number of spectators the arena can hold.

Wimbledon Day One Centre Court = 60 / General Addmission = 25
      Golf Open Championship = 30 for Thursday/Friday

The 39 quid a session seems reasonably for any of the Top 16 (and your guaranteed to see one of them in the first round).

Comment

I think the difference is that a session is only a quarter of the match. The time is irrelevant, it's proportional. Imagine paying £100 for a football match and you had to leave after 25 minutes. The reality is, that lowest price to watch the whole of the WC final is £500. For me, I don't want to watch a quarter or half of a match, it makes the rest underwhelming.

West end theatre ticket is about £50. I saw David Bowie in one of his last gigs for £60 (less than £100 equivalent taking into account inflation since), and with the 2 support acts got over 3 hours. Wimbledon centre court is £60 day one for three matches and about £200 for mens final day- and you get the mixed doubles final as well.

Football can be stupidly expensive, it shouldn't be the benchmark. But you at least get a full match for your £30-50 (premiership).

£500 for the final, plus all the additional expenses, makes it unobtainable for the majority of snooker fans.

Comment

I think we basically agree but have crossed a few wires.
          Popularity of any sport has to be taken into consideration when allocating ticket prices. The most popular of sports are plagued with ticket touts and the general public end up paying £1,000's for scalped tickets due to public demand.

Snooker does not enjoy that type of popularity therefor sets a price not based on its popularity but on its demographic.
          How many 14-21 year olds are in the crucible theatre right now? Not many would be my guess. So the tickets sell for what the targeted audience are willing to pay. Only 900 or so tickets are available so WS seek to maximise and exploit the size and scale of their 'Blue Ribbon' event.

Pre internet days I saw Metallica (including 10+ bands) for £35 at Milton Keynes Bowl. Now they are charging £120+ for an older slower version of the band. I saw Bruce Springsteen for £31 and in 2007 I saw Prince for the price of his album entitle 31.21...

My point being that if snooker is to remain competitive then it's ticket pricing needs to be correct. Which I think it is.
          If the pricing was wrong the public simply wouldn't pay it.
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019

Comment

Regardless of the price the final would be unobtainable for the mmajority of snooker fans. The question is then whether it should be unobtainable due to lack of money or lack of possibility to plan a year ahead and be able to book tickets in the second they become available.

Comment

I think we basically agree but have crossed a few wires.
              Popularity of any sport has to be taken into consideration when allocating ticket prices. The most popular of sports are plagued with ticket touts and the general public end up paying £1,000's for scalped tickets due to public demand.

Snooker does not enjoy that type of popularity therefor sets a price not based on its popularity but on its demographic.
              How many 14-21 year olds are in the crucible theatre right now? Not many would be my guess. So the tickets sell for what the targeted audience are willing to pay. Only 900 or so tickets are available so WS seek to maximise and exploit the size and scale of their 'Blue Ribbon' event.

Pre internet days I saw Metallica (including 10+ bands) for £35 at Milton Keynes Bowl. Now they are charging £120+ for an older slower version of the band. I saw Bruce Springsteen for £31 and in 2007 I saw Prince for the price of his album entitle 31.21...

My point being that if snooker is to remain competitive then it's ticket pricing needs to be correct. Which I think it is.
              If the pricing was wrong the public simply wouldn't pay it.
              I think we do agree. Just expanding on your point.

As someone how had turn down going to see Metallica because I couldn't justify the price of the ticket; that hurt to read. But I kind of get the music industry, actual music sales have dramatically fell so they're recouping that income through tickets.

Judging by current prize money for the Worlds there's more sponsorship money flowing in than there ever has been, the TV deals still exist and haven't been sidelined, so there's no need to up the ticket prices to the current degree.

I'll admit to paying over what I assumed would be the price to go - but it could be the only time I go for all I know, so I'm willing to having watched the game since I was a kid and knowing I enjoy watching live snooker. But as long as there's suckers like me (and those buying up the premium seats) then Hearn will be able to put the price up until we all stop buying them.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerball View Post
                I think we do agree. Just expanding on your point.

As someone how had turn down going to see Metallica because I couldn't justify the price of the ticket; that hurt to read. But I kind of get the music industry, actual music sales have dramatically fell so they're recouping that income through tickets.

Judging by current prize money for the Worlds there's more sponsorship money flowing in than there ever has been, the TV deals still exist and haven't been sidelined, so there's no need to up the ticket prices to the current degree.

I'll admit to paying over what I assumed would be the price to go - but it could be the only time I go for all I know, so I'm willing to having watched the game since I was a kid and knowing I enjoy watching live snooker. But as long as there's suckers like me (and those buying up the premium seats) then Hearn will be able to put the price up until we all stop buying them.
                Your last paragraph pretty much some up the business / consumer relationship...
                National Snooker Expo
                25-27 October 2019

Comment

Originally Posted by Googol View Post
                  Regardless of the price the final would be unobtainable for the mmajority of snooker fans. The question is then whether it should be unobtainable due to lack of money or lack of possibility to plan a year ahead and be able to book tickets in the second they become available.
                  Yep! Lack of planning.
                  If I wanted to go and watch WC snooker then the money would be sorted way before tickets go on general sale. Pretty much the same as planning a holiday.
                  National Snooker Expo
                  25-27 October 2019

Comment

I got my tickets this morning for 4 sessions Tuesday - Thursday of the first week. Total £167.20. Travelodge this year was £83 for a double room (2 nights). All in all it's not bad for 2½ days of top world class sporting entertainment.

It just seems a lot due to the rate at which it's increased. When I first went about 20 years ago you could get 1st round sessions for £9 !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                      I got my tickets this morning for 4 sessions Tuesday - Thursday of the first week. Total £167.20. Travelodge this year was £83 for a double room (2 nights). All in all it's not bad for 2½ days of top world class sporting entertainment.

It just seems a lot due to the rate at which it's increased. When I first went about 20 years ago you could get 1st round sessions for £9 !!!
                      I live in fear of a Chinese world champion - my annual jaunt to the returns queue would be completely destroyed!

Comment

Originally Posted by Googol View Post
                        only 1/3 of tickets went on sale yesterday, the rest today. And there'll always be returns - on Sat. night there were a dozen or more tickets available for Sunday.

Comment

Well they say only 1/3rd were on sale yesterday but I got in the online queue at 9:02 this morning and "got served" at 9:38. By that time the first Friday evening session had completely sold out, except for the £104.00 premium seats towards the front!

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post

And I'm assuming that you don't feel aggrieved or ripped off by paying this amount simply because you KNOW the entertainment you seek will be a fulfilled experience...
                            National Snooker Expo
                            25-27 October 2019

Comment

And I'm assuming that you don't feel aggrieved or ripped off by paying this amount simply because you KNOW the entertainment you seek will be a fulfilled experience...
                              You can't think that way can you. Life is all about experiences and making memories and unfortunately some things cost money. I've been going to the Crucible for 20 years and am never disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                              X