Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd attempt

This is my second attempt at a cue . It's not perfect but plays well

I'm still not great at getting the cue back to a perfect cue after gluing on the splices . Il get better though .

This was the Purple Heart I mentioned in a thread I stared the other day . Happy to say that the colour is coming back into it nice

Anyways , here's the picture

Rosewood , Purple Heart with maple veneer.

I'd be proud of that, I take it your using a lathe rather than hand planing?
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
      I'd be proud of that, I take it your using a lathe rather than hand planing?

No , I have a number 4 smoothing plane and sandpaper . I don't own a lathe or have room for one big enough . Also it would cost too much for what is just a hobby . I don't have plans to sell any cues or stuff like that so cost must be kept to a minimum .

I think I should invest in a smaller block plane though for sure

Comment

If you are askng because of the wee hole at the butt , this is because the ash was given to me as 30mm dowels . Those were turned down before I got them .

Comment

Ah, just saw the hole in the butt and assumed it was from being attached to a lathe.
          I keep threatening to try my hand at resplicing, but don't seem to get past the buying cues to do up stage!
          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
            Ah, just saw the hole in the butt and assumed it was from being attached to a lathe.
            I keep threatening to try my hand at resplicing, but don't seem to get past the buying cues to do up stage!
            I got hold of some broken rack cue to practice on

Comment

Well it looks great for only a second attempt, very impressive, it would be great to be able to make your own playing cue.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

That looks pretty smart to me!

Comment

Thanks everyone

I played with it when it was just plain rosewood and it was really good . I've messed up a bit putting the PH on it because I didn't get it completely right and the cue has a little wobble on it when rolled on the table . I know that doesn't matter and the shaft is very straight . But it's enought to annoy me

If I want to fix it I will either need to do 4 splices of PH and reshape the butt (which is a bit beyond me ATM ) or thin the butt down more (currently at 29mm) . I'm still going to put a butt joint in it so I can use my extensions from my mastercue

the cue has excellent power on screw and follow through . Hitting the ball a lot softer than most of my other cues to get the same reaction . It however does have more throw (MR big shot ...quiet ) than my other cues . But not crazy amounts . Since my skill set is not great on the baize I don't use side much anyway .

Comment

Looks very good. Well done, do you hope to sell cues in the future?

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                      Looks very good. Well done, do you hope to sell cues in the future?

Doubt it TBH . If a friend or someone played with one and really wanted it then yeah they could buy it . The quality isn't there yet anyway . maybe in a while I make one to a decent standard .

Just a hobby. Although it would be nice if I could pass them on for what it costs to make them if they were good enough

Comment

I have to say that is a stunning effort for your 2nd attempt . You must be very proud of yourself . Well done .
                        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Yes mate very good and you must feel good when you play with it
                          Ton Praram cue series 1 ash shaft Burwood and ebony splices with maple vaneres 58.9.5.29.4.18oz 18 BP

Comment

Lol......do you want to read your post back Stevie!!!

For some reason that made me laugh
                            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Looks good to me and great work.
                              If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

Working...
                              X