Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue shortening advice

Hi,

I’m looking to get my Cue Craft snooker cue shortened (by 2") as I’ve always found it too long for me.

I was wondering what the process is for this and how much I should be paying?

Is it a case that the cue is cut to the desired length, retapered so it has the same tip diameter as before, then re-oil and fit ferrule/tip? I’m checking to make sure that it’s correct so that I don’t give it to someone who will just cut it and re-ferrule without retapering.

Yes you got it about right but there would be no way to go thru head up and not retaper it as it would be sticking out round the ferrule.

Where are you as I'm in London but could point you somewhere closer.
    For that one you've always wanted...
    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Jeepers, Ninja meets Kung Fu man

Idiot questions:
      Why take it all off the shaft, as opposed to the butt?
      Why do you think it is 2" too long?

Comment

I did wonder the same, and would also be very concerned about completely changing the feel of the cue? It's not as though it's only 5mm or so.

As it's a fairly modest cue craft, gotta assume you love it and want to keep it, but you risk totally changing how it plays?

Have you thought of trying others? Maybe you've tried thousands....

Just thoughts.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I’m in north east Scotland so chances are I will need to send to a cue repairer.

I like holding the right at the butt of the cue and I have fairly short arms so my bridge hand and cue ball distance is quite far apart.

I had talked to one repairer and he said to cut it at the top and retaper. I’m not sure why it isn’t removed from the butt side

Comment

ADR is up that way, depending how N&E you are.

re your hand at the end of the Butt, I have wondered why mini-butt's all seem to be the same length rather than 8 or 9".....

Comment

Or Ritchie at mac cues in glasgow
              Current playing cue Trevor White
              3/4 ash cue

Comment

Raymond Cohen of Exquisite Cues is another cue maker to consider up in Scotland.
                If your posting cue anyways then why not give Andy Travis of Sheffield a go as reasonable prices and quick turnaround from sending cue to receiving it back.
                VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Isn't the bod at GBL good (and sensibly priced) too?

I'd like to know why the 2" should all come off the shaft though.

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                    Isn't the bod at GBL good (and sensibly priced) too?

I'd like to know why the 2" should all come off the shaft though.
                    Me too....
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

It almost sounds like: off the tip end, so will need re tapering etc so will cost ...

Apologies for my ignorance\crudeness, but(t ho ho) a saw to the Butt end and replacing the thingy for any mini extension would be cheaper and wouldn't effect the balance\feel as much?

Comment

Originally Posted by kungfuman View Post
                        I’m in north east Scotland so chances are I will need to send to a cue repairer.

I like holding the right at the butt of the cue and I have fairly short arms so my bridge hand and cue ball distance is quite far apart.

I had talked to one repairer and he said to cut it at the top and retaper. I’m not sure why it isn’t removed from the butt side
                        Cutting the cue will change how it plays. If I were you I wouldn’t do that. If you’ve decided to shorten it, go with TP snooker and pool supplies and repairs. They are based in Glasgow.

Comment

You can cut it at the but end but will change the butt size and can change the balance, more than taking it off the front.
                          So taking it off the front can be more straight forward..
                          So it can be a little of 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other.
                          For that one you've always wanted...
                          https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

So a bit\half off each end makes sense?

I guess it depends if the player thinks it is about the shaft?

Comment

Taking length off by shortening the butt surely is a very expensive way of doing it?
                              ie taking butt joint out, trying to save badge, then shortening and reshaping the butt before reinstating the badge and butt joint, bet that is very labour intensive compared to lopping some off the shaft, fitting a new ferrule then a quick re taper before some oiling up???

Comment

Working...
                              X