Advice on buying a new cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying a new cue

I had my cue stolen last week. Now I'm looking for a new cue. I'm not a very good player so I don't know whether it's worth bothering trying cues if I'm not too sure about cue specs. I wasn't playing great with my old cue so maybe just get something fairly similar.

I've seen a Maximus cue on the Greenbaize website, the only thing is it's 17.4oz and my old cue was 18oz. It's also an inch longer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lots to think about here, and we may all have slightly different opinions.

I would say it depends on your budget and how much you think you're going to play.

Buying a cue new means you're paying a premium, but if you can head to Greenbaize and try before you buy then it's worth it.

If you think you know your spec then I think you'd get better value buying second hand, but you need to be a little careful.

Try some cues first, before you decided you know your preferred specs - just saves you from making a mistake.

In truth, I think you can get used to most cues if they're within a ballpark of your specs so it's more important to buy a decent cue and just practice like mad, rather then get fixated on different specs. A half inch here or there or an ounce here or there may not actually make a massive difference if you're starting off.

Also, whilst I'd find it hard to recommend to cheap cue or an unknown maker, it's good to remember that the cue itself doesn't pot the balls - it's you - so you don't have spend hundreds on a cue to be good.

I think second hand cues from reputable makers - especially the Thai cues (better value) - are a good place to look, but as I said before, all depends on your budget
    Last edited by anish147; 18 June 2018, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I'm just going to order a cheapish cue, like a Mastercue Tournament. If my game improves then I'll look at more expensive cues.

Comment

Hi James,

Hold fire i have 30 New Master Cues arriving Friday!!.....Which i can do you good deal on ok especially if you want machine spliced Tournament Cue as i have a couple of them also i get in for players who dont wanna spend lots of money on cues or youngsters ok.

Please email me: topgazza@aol.com and i can forward you some pictures then ok.

Kind Regards Gareth.

Comment

Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
          I had my cue stolen last week. Now I'm looking for a new cue. I'm not a very good player so I don't know whether it's worth bothering trying cues if I'm not too sure about cue specs. I wasn't playing great with my old cue so maybe just get something fairly similar.

I've seen a Maximus cue on the Greenbaize website, the only thing is it's 17.4oz and my old cue was 18oz. It's also an inch longer. Any advice would be appreciated.
          For sure ?

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
            For sure ?
            Ah yh, cheers, I realised that didn't sound right. I'm just going to go for fairly standard specs. I'm not a good enough player to know exactly what might suit me.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
              Hi James,

Hold fire i have 30 New Master Cues arriving Friday!!.....Which i can do you good deal on ok especially if you want machine spliced Tournament Cue as i have a couple of them also i get in for players who dont wanna spend lots of money on cues or youngsters ok.

Please email me: topgazza@aol.com and i can forward you some pictures then ok.

Kind Regards Gareth.
              Thanks Gareth, I've sent you an email.

Comment

Working...
              X