Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm confused.....

Hi guys,

New to the forum and have been reading a few threads looking for information on which cue for a newish player. I currently use a Pot Black cue, 57” 9.5mm weight unknown, that was given to me just to start playing but I want to buy my own cue. I have looked at machine and hand spliced and from what I gather, the difference in cost is down to the better quality, finish and time spent making it. I don't think they feel any different but I could be wrong on that.

I have played on and off throughout the years but I would like to buy a decent cue, not something out a sports shop as my aim is to become better. The cues I was looking at were ones from Peradon, Phoenix and even 2nd hand ones but I have no idea what to get. Ideally I am looking for a cue, case and probably an extension, although I can get this at a later stage. The only things I know I want is that it has to be a ¾ cue, ash and dark brown or black. I’m not a fan of the lighter coloured cues. Budget wise I am thinking about £200 but I’m willing to increase if there is something better.

TIA for any help

Mikey

Hi Mikey ,

Try Stuart at Greenbaize snooker .

Have a look at his website .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Thanks Neil. The ones in my price range are the Mastercues which I don't know much about and cannot seem to find much information about them online

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyjm26 View Post
        Thanks Neil. The ones in my price range are the Mastercues which I don't know much about and cannot seem to find much information about them online
        Give him a ring and speak to Stu. His advice is great and he goes out of his way to get the right cue for you. He'll give you more information about the mastercues.

Comment

Mastercues are up there as one of the best cues you can get for the money if you're on a budget. I have one which cost well under £200 and plays great.

+1 for greenbaize also

Comment

Mikey, if you're on a budget of £200, then you're already restricting yourself quite a bit. Having said that, there are still many options.

If you can get to Stu then you'll be able to try out the cues. This would be the best option.

Failing that, by all means call him, but you could also email ADR as he sells a variety of cues for all budgets.

The Thai cues are made of very high quality wood and since labour is cheap, they are reasonably priced. Master cue is great, but remember all cue makers have cues that can vary a little in playability, so always best to try before you buy if possible, regardless of maker

Comment

Hi guys,

New to the forum and have been reading a few threads looking for information on which cue for a newish player. I currently use a Pot Black cue, 57” 9.5mm weight unknown, that was given to me just to start playing but I want to buy my own cue. I have looked at machine and hand spliced and from what I gather, the difference in cost is down to the better quality, finish and time spent making it. I don't think they feel any different but I could be wrong on that.

I have played on and off throughout the years but I would like to buy a decent cue, not something out a sports shop as my aim is to become better. The cues I was looking at were ones from Peradon, Phoenix and even 2nd hand ones but I have no idea what to get. Ideally I am looking for a cue, case and probably an extension, although I can get this at a later stage. The only things I know I want is that it has to be a ¾ cue, ash and dark brown or black. I’m not a fan of the lighter coloured cues. Budget wise I am thinking about £200 but I’m willing to increase if there is something better.

TIA for any help

Mikey
              As Neil said, Green Baize must be the biggest place to go to look at cues and have a try; always best to pick a cue up at the least prior to paying for it if you can but depends where you live.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I take it then that Peradon are not really classed as decent cues? Unfortunately Green Baize would be a 7 hour round trip for me, wish there was a place in Scotland to try cues.

Comment

mikejm - see gazza's post as he has some MasterCues coming, maybe of use to you
                  http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...088#post964088
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

as you are in scotland. speaking to adr is your best bet. ive visited him personally in the past and i am from london! he will be able to arrange something with you where you can look at cues in person

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I take it then that Peradon are not really classed as decent cues? Unfortunately Green Baize would be a 7 hour round trip for me, wish there was a place in Scotland to try cues.
                      A 7 hour round trip to get what you want is no time at all.
                      Just think of it as a day at work...
                      You will be happier and the cue will bring you greater joy :snooker:
                      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                      National Snooker Expo
                      25-27 October 2019
                      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Definitely visit somewhere to try out cues for your first time and take note of what feels the best (irrespective of price!). This should give you a good idea of what suites you should you come to buy a cure untested online in future.

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                          Haha yea and I would come out a lot poorer!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                            A day out testing cues is far better than a day at work IMO.

Comment

Haha yea and I would come out a lot poorer!!!
                              Could save you money in the long run. ( Speaking as someone who's bought quite a few cues on-line which didn't suit).

Comment

Working...
                              X