Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue advice for relative beginner

Hi everyone,

A newbie to the forum here and probably about to ask a question that gets asked a lot!

Snooker has been a part of my life more or less forever as my dad was a good player. However, I’ve only ever played casually, for fun with friends, and have never been any good.

After a bit of a break from playing, I’m getting back into it. At the moment I have a very cheap (£20) cue. I’m the kind of player that if you leave me a pot i’lll sink it, but my cue ball control and break building doesn’t really exist. I describe it to my dad as being good at potting and rubbish at snooker!

I want to get better and as part of this want to get a cue that, although won’t do anything for me, won’t hinder me either. I don’t want to break the bank as I will still only be playing mostly casually with friends, with a solo practice session when I can get away from the family!

My dad suggested something like the cue in the link below would be a good first proper cue for someone in my position.

https://www.johnparrottcuesports.com...sions-292.html

I live in west Kent. Any idea if there is somewhere round here that I could try before I buy? (Not this particular cue, this was a more general question). I realise I’m shopping at the budget end of the market so wouldn’t want to go somewhere that only sold far more expensive cues.

Thanks in advance.

Stu at greenbaize.com sells thai cues which are great value for money. For the price of that powerglide you could buy a handspliced Mastercue from him. I think the Mastercue Probutt is around £160 or the Millennium series is £175. He has a shop with table you can visit if you don't mind a fairly long drive from Kent. Otherwise, he is very good at picking a cue out and trying it himself and providing information.

Comment

We could do with a sticky including the locations of Shops where cues can be tried, and makers inc whether they can be tried etc?

If you haven't booked you holidays yet, then go to Thailand, lol

Comment

Thanks both.

Being somewhat ignorant on these matters...

What makes the mastercue better than the powerglide?

The power glide comes with a couple of extensions as well as the cue, so all in is probably £50 - £75 cheaper than the mastercue factoring that in.

Comment

If you don't mind a drive from West Kent to Worthing W. Sussex BN147JL. You can come and try out cues in complete privacy. Check out www.franksandellcuesport.co.uk for more info. You can call me on 01903 238571 and discuss without any obligation. Thanks. F. My prices are from £20.-£300. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
            Hi everyone,

A newbie to the forum here and probably about to ask a question that gets asked a lot!

Snooker has been a part of my life more or less forever as my dad was a good player. However, I’ve only ever played casually, for fun with friends, and have never been any good.

After a bit of a break from playing, I’m getting back into it. At the moment I have a very cheap (£20) cue. I’m the kind of player that if you leave me a pot i’lll sink it, but my cue ball control and break building doesn’t really exist. I describe it to my dad as being good at potting and rubbish at snooker!

I want to get better and as part of this want to get a cue that, although won’t do anything for me, won’t hinder me either. I don’t want to break the bank as I will still only be playing mostly casually with friends, with a solo practice session when I can get away from the family!

My dad suggested something like the cue in the link below would be a good first proper cue for someone in my position.

https://www.johnparrottcuesports.com...sions-292.html

I live in west Kent. Any idea if there is somewhere round here that I could try before I buy? (Not this particular cue, this was a more general question). I realise I’m shopping at the budget end of the market so wouldn’t want to go somewhere that only sold far more expensive cues.

Thanks in advance.
            Well for a start don't buy that because I will do something better for less. but if you want to get better maybe consider seeing a coach for a few sessions?
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
              Thanks both.

Being somewhat ignorant on these matters...

What makes the mastercue better than the powerglide?

The power glide comes with a couple of extensions as well as the cue, so all in is probably £50 - £75 cheaper than the mastercue factoring that in.
              The master cues are a completely different world to the power glides - it is the difference between a Bentley and a VW - it might in theory be the same thing but the way they are put together and the materials used are completely different. have a read around the cues section on the forum and feel free to email me adr147@hotmail.com - or visit Frank as suggested above I am sure he would have what you need and some tips on playing
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Thanks Andrew Really appreciate that. F.

Comment

Canary Yellow - my vote would be to call and arrange to pop over to Frank's mecca-of-snooker.
                  Give yourself plenty of time though as there is so much to see and talk about, and enjoy
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

There are companies that mass produce cues, and there are cue makers who understand wood and how to make a quality cue. Stick to a cue maker if possible, and not a mass produced company.

I live in SE London, probably not too far from you. I have more cues then I need and can sell you one if you find one that you can play with from my collection. Not nearly as extensive as ADR but I have a few that I would sell for under £200 - all great quality and handmade by renowned cue makers.

Send me a personal message once you have 10 posts if you're interested.

Comment

Just bought a Taylor Made cue from Del Smith at snooker stuff.com check them out good value for money. Anyone got any experience of the Taylor Made brand?

Comment

Gary Taylor used to make cues but now sells imported cues under that name I believe.

Comment

Originally Posted by qc2 View Post
                          Gary Taylor used to make cues but now sells imported cues under that name I believe.
                          that is correct

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                            Thanks Andrew Really appreciate that. F.
                            Even if you didn't buy a cue, it's worth the trip to see Frank's snooker room, see his cue collection and meet s genuinely nice fella who will tell you about his snooker journey and people he has met.

it's worth the trip.
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond to me.

I’ve tried to do as much reading on here as I can to improve my knowledge of snooker cues and what makes for a good one.

Unfortunately, it seems like that is a far from straightforward answer.

Seems like hand spliced increases the premium look / feel, but doesn’t necessarily make a difference to how the cue feels and plays vs machine spliced cues (I’m guessing that’s possibly even more the case at my rather budget end of the market?).

However, Thai cues have made hand spliced cues far more affordable than they might once have been, therefore even at my budget, there is what seems like an almost infinite level of choice.

With all the different options out there, I do feel like I need some proper advice and to actually feel the cue in my hand before buying.

Frank - thank you very much for the invite to Worthing. I will be taking you up on that, I just need to work out when I will be able to get down to you. How much notice would you need do you think? Would you be able to tell me a little more about the cues you have?

Comment

Working...
                              X