Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Tip Problem

Hey all
    So i fitted a new tip to my cue last week. A medium Elkmaster tip. I don't think I've ever used one before. After shaping it up and bedding it in, I noticed some strange cueball control and shots missing to the left despite the fact I'm adamant I'm aiming correctly. Then I see that one side of the tip is mis-shaped and 'dented' in. So I re-shape it and get it bang on. 20 or so shots later, its back to be dented inwards again on one side. So on and so forth. This is a pic of it after around 20 shots and prior to this, its was symmetrical all round. You can clearly see its bad on the right hand side. Is this a common problem with Elkmaster tips? I've never ever had this problem in all the years I've had a cue!
    Snooker Tip Problem.jpg
    Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

that's a dud, you get a few in a box. usually pressing before installing the tip will help in improving consistency.

Comment

Originally Posted by albertm View Post
      that's a dud, you get a few in a box. usually pressing before installing the tip will help in improving consistency.
      Its coming off tomorrow then! Its been awful and I thought it was me at first going downhill! This game is hard enough as it is.....Lol!
      Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
        Hey all
        So i fitted a new tip to my cue last week. A medium Elkmaster tip. I don't think I've ever used one before. After shaping it up and bedding it in, I noticed some strange cueball control and shots missing to the left despite the fact I'm adamant I'm aiming correctly. Then I see that one side of the tip is mis-shaped and 'dented' in. So I re-shape it and get it bang on. 20 or so shots later, its back to be dented inwards again on one side. So on and so forth. This is a pic of it after around 20 shots and prior to this, its was symmetrical all round. You can clearly see its bad on the right hand side. Is this a common problem with Elkmaster tips? I've never ever had this problem in all the years I've had a cue!
        [ATTACH]19107[/ATTACH]
        They are very inconsistent nowadays. Lots of other tips are available that are very consistent piece to piece and not too expensive either.

Comment

Elkmasters are so inconsistent that many people have turn their back definitely on these products. Try Grand Cue medium tips, you'll see the difference immediately.
          Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

I was thinking of giving ADR147' medium laminated tip a try. I hear nothing but good things about them.

Comment

i would go for a grand m or ts long ba over an elk now.
              http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I was thinking of giving ADR147' medium laminated tip a try. I hear nothing but good things about them.
                If you’ve not tried them then give them a go as best tip out there mate.
                VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Hey all
                  [ATTACH]19107[/ATTACH]
                  This is natural for me but not on the side of the tip, mine is like this on the top of a new tip when bedding it in using lots of stun and screw.
                  If you're playing mainly vertical centre line striking of the cue ball and this is only happening right side of the tip then check your cueing. If you deliberately play with left hand side a lot then it's normal with a softer tip to have it bed in on the right side more than the left. If the tip does this left side, top and bottom as well as on the right side then it's a dud.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Could be a dud and looking at how rough the edges are you could also have ripped the fibres up when trimming the tip.
                    Always use a new sharp blade and burnish the edges, then bed the tip in properly with lots of soft stuns.

Comment

Its in the bin that one. I've gone for a Phoenix laminated medium tip which is exactly right for me. Feels so much better and there is no denting with this one although it did fall off after I glued it which has never happened to me before! In answer to vmax above, I'm more of a centre ball striker and only use side as and when. Don't get me going on Roy and his techniques.....I had to unteach that nonsense after his ridiculous lessons!

Comment

Working...
                      X