• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADR147 vs Maximus Ultimate

Images of cues
    https://imgur.com/a/fwVVd

Introduction
    I've owned both sets of cues, 1 Maximus Ultimate and 2 ADR147 (see imgur album). My second ADR147 (the one with decorative splices) was too short for me at 57" so I sold it on. The cues are very similar, so i'm going to do a comparison point by point.

Splicing
    Both manufacturers have excellent splicing, every splice on ever cue was very accurately done. In this category I would say both manufacturers are equal.

Shafts
    Once again I would say that both manufactures are equal here, of the 3 cues I've owned they have all have extremely straight grained shafts with excellent arrows. All 3 shafts have played well in their own way, my plain ADR147 is very good in among the balls but balls but is a little weak on longer shots. Where as my Maximus is great at long shots but requires a much more solid cue action to develop the spin needed to keep position at times. Back to the spliced ADR147 Which was a mix of both worlds really, it was decent in the balls and decent at range but it felt as if it was lacking when compared to the other too (this might just have been that the cue was too short and I was struggling to get a decent follow through on the stroke with it).

Taper
    I personally prefer the Maximus' taper as it seems to be a little thicker of a taper. I think this just comes down to personal preference So I cant really say one is better than the other here and the difference is so small you really have to look to see it.

Finish
    The finish on my first ADR147 was smooth but when you compare it to my second ADR147 and Maximus it feels rough. When I look at the grain filler on my first ADR147 it seems to be fading away where the cue comes into contact with my bridge hand and chin. But the second AD147R had an excellent finish, and was by far the best of the three. considering I got the second ADR147 about 6 months after the first one, it might have Give ADR147 time to perfect the finish on his cues.

Pricing
    The price for the ADR147s is second to none, you really can not argue with the prices he charges (approximate £125-£175 per cue through eBay, less if you go direct), where as the Maximus Ultimates I've seen going for £350-£550 on Greenbaizes website.

Conclusion
    From my small sample size of only 3 cues, I would say that the Maximus Ultimates are the better cue but only by slightly. Although I think the Maximus' are better cues I would still recommend ADR147s' cues over them as you honestly can't beat their value for money and there performance rivals the Maximus which is approximately 3 times its price for a similar design.

Specs of cues in question
    ADR147 Plain ebony butt: 9mm tip, 30mm butt, 18oz weight, 17"bp, 58" length.
    Maximus Ultimate: 9.2mm tip, 30mm butt, 18oz weight, 17"bp, 58" length.
    ADR147 Decorative splices: 9.5mm tip, 30mm butt, 17oz weight, 17"bp, 57" length

What a great review . Thanks for posting .

[ Andrew says the cheque is in the post ]
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      What a great review . Thanks for posting .

[ Andrew says the cheque is in the post ]
      He produces a quality product at a reasonable price, I doubt anyone can fault him for that. He's obviously trying to make a name for himself. I suppose his plan is to start of selling cheap then move his prices up with time, like how Maximus have done.

Comment

Originally Posted by dom979 View Post
        He produces a quality product at a reasonable price, I doubt anyone can fault him for that. He's obviously trying to make a name for himself. I suppose his plan is to start of selling cheap then move his prices up with time, like how Maximus have done.
        I think Andrew does not make cues as such but has a supplier from Thailand (?). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
          I think Andrew does not make cues as such but has a supplier from Thailand (?). Correct me if I'm wrong.
          Yes you're right they're manufactured for him in Thailand but are badged up with his brand

Comment

I bought one of Andy's cues after joining the forum and reading some posts then looking at his ebay shop. I absolutely love it, its one of the ones with a 3/4 steel joint and ferrule £175, beautiful looking cue that plays superbly feel wise. Just to hear it compared here to a Maximus, is truly a great thing to see. I considered a Maximus while doing some research, but the frugal side of my nature likes quality with good value.

Thanks for this post, it absolutely takes away any small twinge of regret I may have felt.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by ken147 View Post
              That's correct, and unlike some others its clearly stated up front on his shop on ebay.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

i can back this up!

I'm not a great player, but have played with Wooldridge, craftsman, cuecraft, woods, mastercraft, mastercue, and an old parris, and i can honestly say that ADR cues really do stand up to them all.

For the price you really cannot fault them.
                http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
                  i can back this up!

I'm not a great player, but have played with Wooldridge, craftsman, cuecraft, woods, mastercraft, mastercue, and an old parris, and i can honestly say that ADR cues really do stand up to them all.

For the price you really cannot fault them.
                  I started out with a cheap Chinese cue off eBay, the cue wasn't bad. The shaft was nice and the splicing was accurate, but the grain fill on the shaft left my hands black after playing with the cue.

I decided I wanted a custom cue next and went with Woods thinking getting a cue to my specs for a very reasonable price was great... How I wish I had read the reviews. The cue took twice as long as expected to come, and when it did arrive it weighed a mighty 22oz when I asked for 19oz. Me being fickle decided to keep the cue and give it ago. After about 4 weeks of play a giant crack form below the joint, I tried contacting Woods about it but to no avail. I decided to cut my losses and search for a quality made cue instead of some cheaply built Chinese cue.

During this time I tried out many a cue from all the "top" names. But after reading reviews on here I decided to order a maximum ultimate and get an ADR147 while I waited.

Comment

Originally Posted by dom979 View Post
                    I started out with a cheap Chinese cue off eBay, the cue wasn't bad. The shaft was nice and the splicing was accurate, but the grain fill on the shaft left my hands black after playing with the cue.

I decided I wanted a custom cue next and went with Woods thinking getting a cue to my specs for a very reasonable price was great... How I wish I had read the reviews. The cue took twice as long as expected to come, and when it did arrive it weighed a mighty 22oz when I asked for 19oz. Me being fickle decided to keep the cue and give it ago. After about 4 weeks of play a giant crack form below the joint, I tried contacting Woods about it but to no avail. I decided to cut my losses and search for a quality made cue instead of some cheaply built Chinese cue.

During this time I tried out many a cue from all the "top" names. But after reading reviews on here I decided to order a maximum ultimate and get an ADR147 while I waited.
                    Dom - apologies for the post last night. Didn't realise until too late you are newer than me. What Chinese cue did you start with, an LP or Jian Ying job?
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I have 3 Chinese made clonkers, chonkers. I have one that I really like, a Grand cue, but the weight is far too far back, 16 inch balance point. It just feels too heavy in the hand and too easy to hit the ball too hard with it. I'm considering some DIY alterations, but I don't want to destroy it, the shaft is nice and I like the splice work on it. I also have a Robin Scott one, which is too long, but nice enough. And I have another Grand cue which is all ash with a little front splice, this one is a 3/4 split and all the grain on the ash lines up perfectly at the joint, which I like, but it's too heavy in the hand, seems to be a theme with Grand cues, if they sorted that out they'd be brilliant value.

Comment

Robin Scott, not Robin Cook. Obviously trying to piggy back his rep.

Comment

I think David Wu ( ?) makes the grand cues, I'm sure they started off with his name on the badge, he has made cues for some of the pros but haven't they all. I have a couple of Grand cues, one from the bottom end of the range another supposedly made for a pro on the seniors tour but how true that is I don't know, from the top end,that is a very well made cue, nice ballance etc, but it's stiff and I have moved away from stiff cues, both one piece. That cue is kept in my case along with my J6 playing cue just Incase something happens, although I haven't hit a single ball with it since I got my cue from Jason.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                            I have 3 Chinese made clonkers, chonkers. I have one that I really like, a Grand cue, but the weight is far too far back, 16 inch balance point. It just feels too heavy in the hand and too easy to hit the ball too hard with it. I'm considering some DIY alterations, but I don't want to destroy it, the shaft is nice and I like the splice work on it. I also have a Robin Scott one, which is too long, but nice enough. And I have another Grand cue which is all ash with a little front splice, this one is a 3/4 split and all the grain on the ash lines up perfectly at the joint, which I like, but it's too heavy in the hand, seems to be a theme with Grand cues, if they sorted that out they'd be brilliant value.
                            That can be sorted by a local cue doctor for not major beans. He would need to drill the cue, remove the weight, drill the cue some more and rebearth it. It might also be a good idea to contact Grand and let them know, so that they endeavour to move the weight forward in future. Tell em a 17-18'' BP would be nice! To be fair, JP chucks cues out with a low BP as well but at ten times the price.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                              That can be sorted by a local cue doctor for not major beans. He would need to drill the cue, remove the weight, drill the cue some more and rebearth it. It might also be a good idea to contact Grand and let them know, so that they endeavour to move the weight forward in future. Tell em a 17-18'' BP would be nice! To be fair, JP chucks cues out with a low BP as well but at ten times the price.
                              I don't know any cue doctors in Aberdeen, any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X