Help narrowing it down please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help narrowing it down please

I am searching for a good cue to get me going again after 20 years off, and in a previous thread, you guys were very helpful.
    I have narrowed it down two 2 cues.
    My original brief was an English cue, 3/4 split 9.5 - 10mm tip. As a craftsman, I appreciate good workmanship and don't suffer poor quality work lightly. The brief changed when I messaged Andrew ( ADR )

So, the first cue is an ADR147 58" 9.5mm 29.5mm 19.oz 3/4 split in a nice plain-ish timber mix. Not ebony, but not sure what it is, but it ticks the "wood" box. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADR147-3-...53.m1438.l2649

The second is a J6 handmade 57/10/17oz Wenge.1 piece. https://youtu.be/3BokQpGMcxM ( He also has an ebony one 57/9.2/17.5oz: https://youtu.be/mSyElX2Xr4k )
    All are Ash. ADR splits, which is what I wanted initially. J6 doesn't make split cues and also doesn't fit the thread to the base to add threaded extensions, does that matter?

Now, please be gentle. I can't travel far, for personal reasons, and J6 doesn't have a showroom anyway, that would need to be bought blind in any case. ADR is very far away, so again, would be bought unseen.
    Both have outstanding feedback and I wish I could buy all of them.

Please can you give opinions, and I know they are your opinions, but they are all very useful to me. I guess I am asking you to lend me your knowledge and minimilise the chances of a bad cue. I know it's in the feel, but I can't feel them. Above all, I appreciate quality...

Once I have this out of the way, I intend to join in and enjoy the game and TSF!!!
    Last edited by JABB; 6 January 2018, 08:08 PM.

Well firstly those cues have quite a difference in specs:
    58" 9.5mm 29.5mm 19.oz 3/4 split
    57/10/17oz Wenge.1 piece
    57/9.2/17.5oz

Do you actually know what length and approx weight you actually want ?? what is your budget ??
    If the specs of the wenge cue suit you i think that will be much better quality than the adr cue (sorry Andrew), but then i have no idea how much J6 charges so that may well explain why. After all adr has them made in Thailand i believe, they make their bit, then postage over to here, then adr making his bit, so for a £149 cue i cant see it being top top quality, will be nice yes but ..... (in my opinion)

Comment

I agree with JRC on the specs and you should choose based around this but if you havent played for 20 yeara you will likely just get used to whatever you pick and sticking to standard around 57-58, 9.5-10mm etc is wise IMO.

Never seen a j6 cue but i wouldnt rule out any ADR cue because of quality, as good as any thai cue i have come across.

If you went down the j6 cue route, a number of cue makers could joint it for you.

If i was you and i had my cue purchasing time all over again, id just crack on buy which i wanted and get playing.

Good luck
      Last edited by jaffa.johnson; 7 January 2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

if you are a good player then j6 is a no brainer, if it dont hit well its going in the bin lol,

Comment

Thanks for the advice chaps.
          As you say Jaffa, let's just crack on and play!

Comment

Working...
          X