How much time do you give a cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time do you give a cue

How much time would you give a cue? When is it time to give up on it and try something different?
    I am not getting on with my cue, I feel that it is too short for me 57" and too light (no idea how much it weighs).
    The length is something I felt was lacking as I have my little finger just about on the edge of the cue. If I move my hand forward a bit its feels cramped. The weight is not something I thought much about. I just put the poor judgement of the pace of shots down to my lack of ability.
    I tried a few shots with the mini butt on and the extra weight really made me feel like I could judge the pace of shots better and it just felt more comfortable to me. My hand felt like it was positioned better with my little finger on the mini butt.
    I have only recently got back to playing and never owned my own cue when I played as a kid. When/what makes for that point when the cue has to go or do I give it more time and check my technique more?
    Last edited by bobmikeking; 11 January 2018, 09:46 PM.

No easy answer, I'm sure you will get a few decent replies. My advice would be, if you have access try several rack cues. Feel means a lot, if a cue feels good to you, you will likely play better with it. Your standard will be lacking if just returning but if you can spare a day to go to green baize where Stu will be happy to let you try several cues out on the table and give you some sound advice you could save countless days, weeks, years looking for one.

https://www.greenbaize.com

Bottom line, I had similar feelings playing with a 57" feeling it felt too short, but stuck with for 5 months before trying something else. My gut feeling was right , I got a 58" loved it from the first few shots....
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 11 January 2018, 10:29 PM.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

In addition to the weight, I've recently come to appreciate the big difference the balance has to a cue - 16-18inches from the butt appears average. I definitely prefer approx 17 inches and with this balance I can actually play with a variety of different weights. So you could possibly have that looked into as well as the length

Comment

I give a cue one frame, I know then if i'll get on with it or not.
        Best advice is to try lots of cues out till you get a feel for what weight etc suits you, every cue plays different but it helps if you know the starting point of what you are looking for

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
          In addition to the weight, I've recently come to appreciate the big difference the balance has to a cue - 16-18inches from the butt appears average. I definitely prefer approx 17 inches and with this balance I can actually play with a variety of different weights. So you could possibly have that looked into as well as the length
          That's a very relevant point too. My old cue wasn't right for me for a few reasons. first I never knew .9.5 compared to 9.8 tip/ferrule could be much different, they are, specially when coupled with a butt weighted cue compared to a well distributed weight cue the same weight but spread through the butt and into the fat of he shaft.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

That is a problem for me, I don't have a starting point to work from so everything feels like a guess. I just checked and the BP of my cue is between 16 1/2 and 16 3/4.
            The club I play at have a few terrible rackers. Is it worth giving them a go just to see if I gravitate to a certain type of cue?
            Last edited by bobmikeking; 11 January 2018, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Most rack cues are far too light and have terrible tips etc. It would be worth your while going on a trip to a snooker shop such as Greenbaize, Craftsman's cues, Chesworth's etc to try out lots of cues

Comment

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
                That is a problem for me, I don't have a starting point to work from so everything feels like a guess. I just checked and the BP of my cue is between 16 1/2 and 16 3/4.
                The club I play at have a few terrible rackers. Is worth giving them a go just to see if I gravitate to a certain type of cue?
                I'd say yes, but plain ball shots only. No deep screws etc. Corner to corner blues, pinks middle and corner just to get a feel. If you have a electronic scales (cheap enough) and a tape measure take them and weigh ones you like the weight/feel of. A butt weighted cue with less than 9.5mm tip will throw a cue ball more, suits some not others.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I have tried looking for a decent shop close to home and Chesworths is the closest I could find at about 4 hours each way in the car.
                  With so little experience could I find something I liked and would be happy with for a long time? Is it literally a case of
                  when you pick up the right cue you know within a couple of shots in the shop?

Comment

Within 10 shots

Comment

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
                      I have tried looking for a decent shop close to home and Chesworths is the closest I could find at about 4 hours each way in the car.
                      With so little experience could I find something I liked and would be happy with for a long time? Is it literally a case of
                      when you pick up the right cue you know within a couple of shots in the shop?
                      If your not in a rush and can wait till April you could combine your trip to Chesworths with a visit to The Crucible. Would make the journey well worth while even if you didn't manage to find a cue. Use the time from now till then trying to firm up on your specs.

Comment

I have a basic process;
                        1. Check weight, balance and feel - if happy go to step 2.
                        2. Hit some balls - get a feel to how she plays - if happy go to step 3
                        3. Attempt snooker drills from basic to more complex to see if all the shots come natural

If the answer is yes to step 3 - then I buy cue. If not go back to stage 1 or 2 with other cues...
                        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019
                        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

If you are in Cardiff , pop over the bridge to Bristol there are retailers there , including Home Leisure Direct ( if I remember correctly ) , thats only about an hour from you.

Comment

I saw that home leisure direct and the world snooker shop in Bristol do cues. They seem to pretty much be doing peradon cues though which I get the impression are not thought to be decent cues?

Comment

Peradon cues are okay. They're just not the best value for money compared to some alternatives.

Comment

Working...
                              X