Cloth color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloth color

Ok, before I get lambasted with negative comments let me say that I know traditional English green is the color for a snooker table.

I also understand that no one in UK would cover a snooker table in blue.

With that said, I am extremely new to snooker, I live in the US and I have just acquired a 1919ish Brunswick Arcade 5'x10' mahogany snooker table. My décor, my light and my family (wife and kids are all against me on this one, LOL) all want to see a tournament blue cloth on the newly restored table. The antique/period hanging light in particular has beautiful glass with blue and purple swirls that will really stand out and will definitely accent the table.

Please believe me when I say that I am a purist at heart, I want to keep the antique table as original as possible and I want to try to satisfy the wife's opinion as well. In the end it will be my decision and I will have to live with it. LOL

What I'm looking for are honest opinions and comments. All are welcome, just please don't be rude.

Also, I'd like to give accolades to adr147 for all of his guidance, suggestions and answering some of my more stupid questions. This being one of them!

Thank you all!

Toughie there being over there and the rest insisting on Blue.

Do they make the right sort of nap in anything but Green?

Comment

Are blue cloths actually available ?
      I wouldn't personally in a million years, but if it keeps the wife happy that could be worthwhile ehh

Comment

as far as I know Hainsworth and Strachan only make their snooker cloth in traditional green.
        Their pool cloths come in many colours.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That's the thing, I am not a snooker player and I am just getting into it. I'm definitely a newbie. There are literally no snooker tables that I can find within 60 miles of me. I haven't found any private tables yet either. Simonis offers the snooker cloth with directional nap in English green only. Simonis makes their 760 model cloth which is fast but not directional. Being a 10' table my kids will be able to play American pool on it as well (I think I can purchase 2 1/8th balls and I will have 2 1/16th snooker balls). Obviously I would have to give up some of the trueness of a snooker table to have a different color and have it playable for the kids. Still, opening this discussion to have just that an open discussion on the matter.

Comment

I raised it in the Champ of Champs thread too re that table, carpet and surround would look better with a silver\grey cloth.

Comment

Get what suits the family - you can play a form of snooker on any nap/cloth for fun which still instilles some fundamentals of the game. at home I have a 7x4 ft slate bed pool table with napless camel cloth that I still have fun playing snooker on. The speed of run through and slowness on screw shots are the main difference but having grown up playing on anything I personally think this provides strength to a "learner" of both games.

Bottom line, any new snooker/pool talent will need talent - that will wonderfully always be evident in their first endeavours regardless of materials.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                Get what suits the family - you can play a form of snooker on any nap/cloth for fun which still instilles some fundamentals of the game. at home I have a 7x4 ft slate bed pool table with napless camel cloth that I still have fun playing snooker on. The speed of run through and slowness on screw shots are the main difference but having grown up playing on anything I personally think this provides strength to a "learner" of both games.

Bottom line, any new snooker/pool talent will need talent - that will wonderfully always be evident in their first endeavours regardless of materials.
                An excellent thread opener, imho.

Comment

Great way to put it.
                  Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Please keep the comments coming. I am still completely unsure of what to do and always willing to listen. You never know, yours may be the comment to sway me. So far, Cuecrafty is winning! LOL

Comment

If you wouldn't, why? Is it a purist thing or a color thing, or something else? I'm really curious about all of this and trying to learn as much as possible.
                    Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    Are blue cloths actually available ?
                    I wouldn't personally in a million years, but if it keeps the wife happy that could be worthwhile ehh

Comment

Originally Posted by chad0131 View Post
                      If you wouldn't, why? Is it a purist thing or a color thing, or something else? I'm really curious about all of this and trying to learn as much as possible.
                      Been playing snooker on and off for 40 years, i don't think my brain could handle a different colour, it would just be wrong

Comment

I just read the Simonis snooker cloth thread and I am not impressed with the reviews. I think I will, for the sake of everyone involved, no matter what color, go with their fast 760 cloth, not the snooker cloth. And jrc750, I totally understand

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          as far as I know Hainsworth and Strachan only make their snooker cloth in traditional green.
                          Their pool cloths come in many colours.
                          In theory it wouldn't be difficult to dye, if it could be delivered in enough time before fitting.

@OP: But it may have to be something darker than the original. Go try Mumsnet and\or a sewing clothes making Forum?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            Been playing snooker on and off for 40 years, i don't think my brain could handle a different colour, it would just be wrong
                            Me too with that colour. Green, it has to be green

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                              Toughie there being over there and the rest insisting on Blue.

Do they make the right sort of nap in anything but Green?
                              Find a GREEN light.
                              Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Working...
                              X