Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma

I started playing in January this year (admittedly I had a 6x3 in the late 70's for a few years before we moved) and had a 100 point Frame on Monday in beating the Club's usual Comp winner 2-1 in a "Friendly", having beaten him a few weeks back in the Comp Final for my first win.

I think I finally have a Cue Action that I can work with, but: I seem to get too much action on the CB with short\usual paced shots now, so will have to start hitting a bit higher up the CB? This will take a bit of getting used to but far more worrying is my fine Safety Shots which are now Fouls ie I am missing the OB, and a bit of a drop my in general safety play.

I'm pondering going BlackSpin (is that the Ferrule?) to lose\reduce the throw\deflection, but it would mean a new Cue if I don't get on with it as it involves a bit of work at the tip end?

I have two options: risk getting it done on the Cue that I have, or get another Grand Cue and then get it done on that first - well unless I can find someoene with such a cue, who will let me have a few long shots with it?

I doubt you will notice any difference with the BS ferrule

I would stick with your current cue and practise at the table what you find going wrong and get the muscle-memory with your cue for the strength of shot and placement on the cue ball for what you are trying to achieve.
    Practise to get the cue ball to a certain small area on the table and adjust as required to achieve that position - the object has to pot though practise, practise, practice not substitute... if you did get another cue with a fancy ferrule or not, you will only have to practise with that cue to get the results you want, so stick with what you have and just get better
    Get the muscle-memory and "the touch" first
    and enjoy your game
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Trying to hit the cueball a little higher is really a no-brainer, all you should do is raise or lower your bridge hand to select the height you want to hit. DO NOT do as most players do and raise or lower the butt end of the cue. With the bridge hand it's a static adjustment and not dynamic so once you adjust you no longer have to think about it.

I use the Blackspin ferrule and I'm used to it now however I prefer a medium flex shaft so I didn't really notice any difference.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

You don't need Blackspin ferrule. You have improved so much with the cue you have.
        Just practice the shots you are missing and it will improve.
        P.S don't improve to much, can't have you beating me can we?

Comment

Originally Posted by englishboy1971 View Post
          You don't need Blackspin ferrule. You have improved so much with the cue you have.
          Just practice the shots you are missing and it will improve.
          P.S don't improve to much, can't have you beating me can we?
          Ssshhhh: I'm playing Dave next Friday.

I got a few hours in today, and know why\where it went wrong from being 2-0 up

Comment

Was it because I'm world class ?

Comment

Was it because I'm world class ?
              Erm, erm, nope

The Blackspin point, above, is about missing fine(ish) clipping of reds - remember the 10 points in 2 shots? And general dodgy safety shots back to baulk....

I'm not sure that I can be bothered to work out and allow for throw etc when I have so much other knowledge to catch up on.

Comment

Think how many thin ones you did hit . You only missed a couple. Just practice that shot .
                Check out Anthony Mcgill video on youtube re thin safety's to baulk , it's a great practice routine.

Comment

Think how many thin ones you did hit . You only missed a couple. Just practice that shot .
                  Check out Anthony Mcgill video on youtube re thin safety's to baulk , it's a great practice routine.
                  Is it anything like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIzrr7SzkCc

Comment

But you mean this boring one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnH8uMwxbgw (Why isn't there a wink smiley thang here?)

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                      But you mean this boring one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnH8uMwxbgw (Why isn't there a wink smiley thang here?)
                      Yep the boring one . Good practice though .

Comment

I like McGills vids :wink:

; )
                        : wink :
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I'd have at least the Blue on it's spot and a Red or two to avoid.

Comment

I'd have at least the Blue on it's spot and a Red or two to avoid.
                            Tweak it as much as you can. Put baulk colours on their spots , it gets tougher though

Comment

Working...
                            X