How to take care my maple cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take care my maple cue?

Hi just bought a maple cue. Have no idear how to keep it in good condition. Oil as well?

Day to day care for a maple cue is no different than an ash cue.
    If the cue is new or in very good condition, then only a very slight damp cloth every now and then with immediate dry buffing.
    That is all.
    If the cue is old and dirty, give it a very gentle clean with slightly damp cloth until it dies not display any dirty/grim.
    The you can very lightly oil it with raw linseed oil as discribed below.
    see below links
    http://handmadecues.com/info/20-cuecare.htm
    https://www.parriscues.com/cue_care/

What cue did you get? Any pictures
    Last edited by DeanH; 27 January 2013, 05:12 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      Day to day care for a maple cue is no different than an ash cue.
      If the cue is new or in very good condition, then only a very slight damp cloth every now and then with immediate dry buffing.
      That is all.
      If the cue is old and dirty, give it a very gentle clean with slightly damp cloth until it dies not display any dirty/grim.
      The you can very lightly oil it with raw linseed oil as discribed below.
      see below links
      http://handmadecues.com/info/20-cuecare.htm
      https://www.parriscues.com/cue_care/
      Many thanks!

Comment

I play with a maple cue. One thing that winds me up is that after I use the rest, I have to wipe the cue down because it leaves marks on my cue

Comment

Clean the rest head then
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
            I play with a maple cue. One thing that winds me up is that after I use the rest, I have to wipe the cue down because it leaves marks on my cue
            Ok. Ill pay attention to that. Thank you!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              Clean the rest head then
              Could be a good idear!

Comment

Magic eraser – cleaning the cue thoroughly
                Water based sanding sealer – sealing porous wood surface
                Carnauba wax – finishing the cue

I’m very satisfied with the results

Comment

I have cleaned my rest heads with everything you could possibly imagine.

It's everywhere I play unless the rests are plastic which means you have to put up with ****e rests

I did compose a thread on it a while back called 'rest head problems'. I didn't get a decent answer to be honest.

Comment

The brass rest heads are cheap enough these days , rather spend a little bit of dough than marking the cue .

Comment

The rest "marks" are not solely a problem with maple, but do appear on ash cues as well, as I am sure they will appear on a pear or hornbeam as well

Comment

Is there a solution?

For what it's worth I have bought cheap and costlier brass heads and chrome heads to try and rid myself of it.

Comment

On Nic Barrow's DVD when illustrating playing with the Rest he does mention and show these marks and rubs them off his cue with a cotton cloth.
                          He says this will often happen if you use the rest a lot, as in training/practising like he was, but he does not expalin how/why they appear.
                          Personally, I have only come across them with new or recently cleaned rest heads, nevr got them with an old/used club rest, ?
                          Maybe it is a residue from the brass/metal coating from new or the cleaner (Brasso), ?

Comment

Tried that mate, tried allsorts.

Problem is, I can't exactly carry a can of brasso in my cue case for every place I visit.

Comment

I can just see it, walking into a club with a fancy 1pc leather case, a ali case of 1g TCs, and a can of Brasso

I dont think you will have to anyway, as my thinking is the marks are related to a "clean" rest head, and not with a used/uncleaned rest head. ?
                              Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X