Grain in ash cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain in ash cue

Can any of you cue doctors tell me how to redarken the grain on a ash cue prior to reoiling.Im trying to refurb a cue for my 8 year old grandson.

You need to strip the cue of its current finish, apply a black-stained grain filler, sanded back and linseed applied.

Recommend you use oil based filler and stain as it won't raise the grain.

Rustins is easily accessible online. Rustins Grain Filler + Rustins Wood Dye (ebony)

Comment

I use a black earth pigment mixed with grain filler...apply all over the ash shaft and leave to dry completely overnight..once sanded back the grain is a lovely black colour

Comment

Originally Posted by grey View Post
        You need to strip the cue of its current finish, apply a black-stained grain filler, sanded back and linseed applied.

Recommend you use oil based filler and stain as it won't raise the grain.

Rustins is easily accessible online. Rustins Grain Filler + Rustins Wood Dye (ebony)

I'm also looking to re grain a cue and haven't a clue where to start. do u mix the two together then apply ?? Any help will be much appreciated.

Comment

Dave

Some easy to follow instructions here:

http://www.auroracues.com/reseal.php

You can buy the Aurora sealer (really a filler) from this site for ease (I haven't used it, but I'm sure it'll do the job well) or you can buy some Rustins grain filler and Rustins Ebony wood dye for about £10 of e-bay - you do have to mix them first and may need to experiment with the proportions to get the colour and consistency right.
          Last edited by grey; 12 May 2014, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Link doesn't work
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Link doesn't work
              Works for me ??

Comment

works for me too

Comment

It's working now, sorry about that probably a problem at my end.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Yeh, noticed it's a bit of a slow site itsnotsoeasy, probably wasn't loading.

Comment

I have noticed that the Aurora site has very high resolution images and probably video as well, so does take a while to load and refresh sometimes.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I have just bought a tin of Liberon Black Special Effects Wax (patinating wax).

Rub the shaft down with very fine sandpaper and clean with a cloth damped with white spirit, leave for 30 minutes to dry.
                        Rub the wax on the shaft with a dry cloth, clean off any excess immediately as the wax dries in seconds, then take the colour out of the wood with very fine sandpaper which leaves the grain black. Leave for a day, then clean shaft again with a cloth dampened in white spirit, leave for a hour to dry and then give the shaft an oil finish of your preference.

The finish is excellent with Jacobean Oak danish oil, rich brown colour to the main body of the wood with a dark black grain.
                        Wear gloves though as the wax is not kind to your skin.

Comment

The aurora grain filler works wonder. Easy to use also.

Comment

An alternative is to ;

Burn a few pieces of A4 paper in a tin
                            Then let it cool down. And break it into small ashes

Get a paper towel and pour some ash onto it, with a little bit of water on the towel( just enough to damp it) rub the shift with the towel quickly, then get a good absorbent towel and clean it hard so you can feel heat friction. Repeat 2-3 times and youll see darker grains.

After the wet towel period make sure you do it with a dry towel immediately.

Comment

wire brush the shaft to open the grain. I just spray paint the shafts with black spray paint. 0000 wire to finish the shaft removing the excess paint. pennies to do a shaft and you don't need to be a cue doctor to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X