Using selfmade items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using selfmade items

What are the rules about using a selfmade item? Like a higher rest, some tool to play from the cushion,... that is not part of the table's equipment. Can you just use them? Does the ref (or WPSBA) needs to approve them first? Will they have to be available to both players during the match to keep it honest?

The rules state:
    Sec 1.4 Various cue rests, long cues (called butts and half-butts according to length), extensions and adaptors may be used by players faced with difficult positions for cueing. These may form part of the equipment normally found at the table but also include equipment introduced by either player or the referee (see also Section 3 Rule 18). All extensions, adaptors and other devices to aid cueing must be of a design approved by the WPBSA Ltd.
    As far as I know there is no publish list of approved equipment and adaptors, etc. that can be checked.
    But adaptors like the Cue-Rite have been used at pro-events so are probably "approved".
    Same as rest-heads that help when close to the cushions, even the modern versions are only a modification on heads that were available many years ago.
    There was something recently where Pearl Strickland has "extension" for his fingers, bit like big thimbles; which I believe are not approved by WPBSA.
    If you bring along something "new and unusual" and not following generally accepted shape and form; you may be questioned by a referee and if it is approved, if it is yours and not general equipment for the table, then I don't think you will be asked to share.
    If your item does follow accepted shape and form then you should be ok.

Can I ask what you have in mind?

For example; 1938 Alec Brown used a little "stick" made of Ebony about 5in long and fitted with a fountain pen clip and had a leather tip which he used once to get the cue ball out from being buried in the pack of reds. Tom Newman protested and the referee had a look and handed it to Newman, who studied it and promptly put it in his pocket. The referee added 7 penalty points to Newman's score; obviously adjudging it as not a cue of accepted form.
    Eight days later the BACC convened and promptly produce the rule that a cue must be at least 3ft long.
    Your new thing may be accepted or it may change the rules
    Last edited by DeanH; 10 September 2018, 12:11 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It's nothing that special
      A friend made some stuff, mostly for wheelchair players. I was just wondering what the rules were about using custom made equipment.
      There is a higher rest and a piece to play from the cushion among them.
      It would be logical players can only use equipment that comes with the table + pieces approved by the ref, but then they woul become part of the table-equipment and thus available for both players.
      I don't mind people using selfmade stuff, but I think some stuff could cause an unfair advantage in the eyes of some. Like a tool for playing from the cushion, should there even be a tool? Isn't this just technique and knowing how to use the rest?

Just for fun and being a bit silly: can I use some shoe-lengtheners to put on put on when I can't reach a shot? So I can get on the table, but still touch the floor? I know, this is completely idiotic, but where do you draw the line?

Comment

Originally Posted by wade View Post
        Just for fun and being a bit silly: can I use some shoe-lengtheners to put on put on when I can't reach a shot? So I can get on the table, but still touch the floor? I know, this is completely idiotic, but where do you draw the line?
        I think you have crossed the line there

I recall going to Frank Sandell's mecca of snooker heritage stuff and he showed me an old rest that you could twiddle a screw and the rest-head rotates, which was made for WW1 amputees so they can get a workable angle, i.e. over the cushion
        If you have seen any footage of WDBS events you see many unique pieces of equipment the players bring along themselves to enable their game.
        If you need advice, you can contact World Disability Billiards and Snooker (WDBS)
        https://www.wdbs.info/contact-us/
        I would think that some equipment for WDBS players would not be allowed for able-bodied players
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
        X