Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little cue shaft survey...

Hi all,

Not sure how to do this but I will be looking to make a few different cue shafts in the next few months.

It's nothing that hasn't been done before and do think it will make done interesting cues.

Who would think about buy or by trend to buy a cue made from something other than the two main timbers used?
    Mainly ash or maple?

Few I have in mind...

Cherry, oak (have seen it done on here by someone and sold an old one to a friend year's so), pear and may look at a few others.
    Some of the timbers used before, I'm not sure I will try as hawthorn can be hard work to keep straight..

Just trying to get an idea, more than likely I will do one of each anyway.

Thanks
    For that one you've always wanted...
    https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

a friend has made himself a couple of cues over the years with hickory, very smooth and responsive I found the latest he made
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

If the cue felt nice when picking it up I wouldn't care what wood it was to be honest Ninja.
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
        If the cue felt nice when picking it up I wouldn't care what wood it was to be honest Ninja.
        Pretty much this, but I've never had the chance to try out other woods....

Comment

Thanks for answering and hickory is another one I was going to add to the list.

Beech one I've made has surprised me in a good way with how well it plays.

Will be making another one as I bought enough for two cues..

Comment

Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post

A summary of the characteristics of different woods would be interesting.

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
              A summary of the characteristics of different woods would be interesting.
              Would be happy to give it a go, make stuff with my hands is normally much better than my writing lol

Comment

Well if you can make me one out of gold for a budget of 50 quid ....

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                  Well if you can make me one out of gold for a budget of 50 quid ....
                  As long as you but the gold to make it out of and host to let you know, there will be a lot of waste.....

Comment

Hi all,

Not sure how to do this but I will be looking to make a few different cue shafts in the next few months.

It's nothing that hasn't been done before and do think it will make done interesting cues.

Who would think about buy or by trend to buy a cue made from something other than the two main timbers used?
                    Mainly ash or maple?

Few I have in mind...

Cherry, oak (have seen it done on here by someone and sold an old one to a friend year's so), pear and may look at a few others.
                    Some of the timbers used before, I'm not sure I will try as hawthorn can be hard work to keep straight..

Just trying to get an idea, more than likely I will do one of each anyway.

Thanks
                    Personally, probably no interest.
                    However, there are many cue collectors out there who should really appreciate such craftsmanship and also willing to pay good shillings to make it happen.
                    I like the idea of Cherry, but probably out of my price range to just sit around as part of a collection if I can't play with it...
                    Still intrigued to how these shaft would play. Am up for testing one if you're willing?
                    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                    National Snooker Expo
                    25-27 October 2019
                    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                      Personally, probably no interest.
                      However, there are many cue collectors out there who should really appreciate such craftsmanship and also willing to pay good shillings to make it happen.
                      I like the idea of Cherry, but probably out of my price range to just sit around as part of a collection if I can't play with it...
                      Still intrigued to how these shaft would play. Am up for testing one if you're willing?
                      Lol.... I did wonder where there was leading..
                      Lucky I can play a little myself out testers would have been a good idea..

Comment

Lol.... I did wonder where there was leading..
                        Lucky I can play a little myself out testers would have been a good idea..
                        Don't ask don't get in this world...
                        Be sure to post pics of these shafts. Will be interesting to see how they turn (pun intended) out!
                        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019
                        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I've made a hickory cue shafted cue before and liked it, one of the members on here has it. It was fairly stiff so allowed you to have quite a slim taper. Played with hornbeam and have made one before too, not my sort of thing though. Also made one from alder before and quite liked it

Comment

if you can get hold of some sapient pearwood, they play like a dream.

Comment

any chance for pictures ??

if you have time of cours .

Comment

Working...
                              X