Barbican theatre - good venue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbican theatre - good venue?

I'm considering going to the UK Championship this year in the Barbican in York. Interested to hear what others who've been think of it as a venue? Good view, atmosphere, snooker merchandise available etc.?

For a comparison, I've been to the Crucible many times and think it's a great venue, how does the Barbican compare ? :-)

Cheers,

John

hi john , just book it . you will see some of the best snooker from the best players, also i would stay overnight if possible as york is a fantastic place to visit with lots of history and places to visit . I would say the venue is perfect , i went with my young son when ronnie did the famous walk out but still had great time .

Comment

Nowhere compares to the Crucible but i really like The Barbican. Great city too - lots to see and with lots of places to stay and pubs nearby, you can't go wrong!
      I Love Snook!

Comment

I never went to York. I'm told it's an amazing venue though.

I went to Telford every year, because was easier/cheaper for me to get to, and there were so many hotels you had the choice of getting a good deal, or paying a bit extra and being right on top of the venue. Sadly in York, most hotels seem costly, so have never been.

It kind of depends what you're looking for. Telford was fine if you want cheaper travel getting there, and didn't mind that there wasn't much to do in the town. I didn't, because I got a pint or two in the hotel bar afterwards and got to see some decent snooker. But if you want to do stuff other than that, and price is no issue, York sounds like a better place to go.

Comment

Thanks for the advice all! Booked tickets for the 1/4's and semi's, really looking forward to it now :-)

Comment

When I'm in York I always stay at Hotel Mama, it's dead cheap and the food is great! But since they've down sized I have to sleep on a blow up matress in the living room! LOL

Never seen the Snooker though but that may change!
            Quote : It took me eight hours a day for 16 years to become an overnight sensation! Cliff Thorburn

Comment

Looks like it might be a wet venue with all the flooding.

Comment

York floods all the time, it's no great shakes, and the Barbican isn't really at risk as it's a fair distance from the river. Besides, it'll do the players good to see something other than the sensible weather they've had to put up with the rest of the season

Comment

Somebody was just saying the same thing to me on another site. Having never been to York, I wondered how the flooding would affect the tournament. Were the chances of the venue flooding out, or of players not being able to make it to the city.

Apparently the barbican is quite high up, and York is so used to flooding that it gets back on it's feet quite quickly.

Comment

nice venue, great city to visit if your staying over and just down the road for me which is a bonus. going down tues aft which will hopefully be trump v carter.

hopefully the flooding will not be an issue.
                    http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I have been to The UK Championsips every year since it came to York great venue and atmosphere, found it better when they had six tables going at once, went to watch q/f's last year good games but seamed a long wait between the afternoon and evening session, which meant a late finish as well but still enjoyed it, and also seating is great you can chose were you want to sit in the venue hope u have a good time.
                      Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

Hi.... My first post....Does anyone know what unallocated seating means at York. Ive got tickets but not sure where I have to sit... Many thanks in advance...

Comment

sit where ever you want, watch whichever match you want

I assume these are early round tickets, as later founds tend to have allocated seats
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dean...Its the first Sunday...So I take it its just first in get the best seats...

Comment

Nice venue great historic beautiful city - great shopping - fantastic bars - great food - much better than Sheffield in my opinion.

Gets you in the mood for Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X