Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Parris Ultimate or Traditional

Any for sale going on the forum?

And can someone tell me the main differences which seperate the ultimate from a standard cue?
    Are his standard range available with decent wait times and the ultimates are like years?

Thanks

Derek

An ultimate 1 piece can be around a 5 year wait, the main differences between ultimate and one of the parris range is the ultimate will have a better looking shaft, and better quality of ebony on the butt (ultimate's generally have very black stuff whereas the standard cue range can be very patchy with large brown\red streaks in it). Doesn't mean its going to play any better just aesthetically it might look nicer.

Comment

One of the main selling points of the Ultimate cue before the days of the internet, when we had the literature detailing the cues and ranges was that the Ultimate cue was completely planed down by hand from start to finish. Whereas the other range of cues are turned on a lathe to an oversized taper and then planed down by hand to their finished size.

As Narl says though, the quality of materials will be a lot higher as well. My mate went to his shop just over a week ago and bought a Classic and the Ebony is very patchy, to be honest I wouldn't even be sure it is ebony, the shaft grain is also not the straightest or prettiest. I think the ash is usually more premium too for the Ultimate range, its not just aesthetics, it will more likely remain straight and be tapered with more care and attention, there is a reason the shafts are graded as Ultimates compared to the other range of cues.

Comment

You can also sell it much faster ( well , in a short time ) comperd to other ranges , imo . ( just in case the cue does'nt suits your game ) .

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Parr...cAAOSwVA5aAgjP

You can also try to sell it for crazy prices

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Parr...cAAOSwVA5aAgjP

You can also try to sell it for crazy prices
            unbelievable. This is probably that guy (fabi or fabia or fadi or something ....). I remember Dean mentioned his name.
            He always asking such a crazy prices for JPU's.
            Looks like he has lost his mind .

Comment

John Parris Ultimate or Traditional

Fedia was one of his TSF and email names
              Also Ultimate147 and others on eBay.
              often you see the same garden furniture in the photos
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                Fedia was one of his TSF and email names
                Also Ultimate147 and others on eBay.
                often you see the same garden furniture in the photos
                Fedia ,

Yeah, that's the guy i was talking about .
                Thx for info .

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                  One of the main selling points of the Ultimate cue before the days of the internet, when we had the literature detailing the cues and ranges was that the Ultimate cue was completely planed down by hand from start to finish. Whereas the other range of cues are turned on a lathe to an oversized taper and then planed down by hand to their finished size.

As Narl says though, the quality of materials will be a lot higher as well. My mate went to his shop just over a week ago and bought a Classic and the Ebony is very patchy, to be honest I wouldn't even be sure it is ebony, the shaft grain is also not the straightest or prettiest. I think the ash is usually more premium too for the Ultimate range, its not just aesthetics, it will more likely remain straight and be tapered with more care and attention, there is a reason the shafts are graded as Ultimates compared to the other range of cues.
                  The classics definitely have ebony on them, just a much lower quality grade, I sold one on a while ago that had a patch that almost looked like another splice in the butt, but it was just the pattern of the wood.

Just surprises me they don't use macassar ebony for the classics seeing as the "black" stuff they currently use is very hit or miss. Then again ebony isn't really ever totally jet black, if you hold the black looking ebony under a light you can usually see obvious colour changes that aren't visible in regular light conditions. So really it's only black from a certain set of lighting conditions.

That rocklite "ebano" stuff coutts used on a cue was jet black and was classed as an ebony substitute, surprised its not caught on more with cue makers as an option.

https://youtu.be/Cy4p-irAApc
                  Last edited by narl; 16 November 2017, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                    The classics definitely have ebony on them, just a much lower quality grade, I sold one on a while ago that had a patch that almost looked like another splice in the butt, but it was just the pattern of the wood.

Just surprises me they don't use macassar ebony for the classics seeing as the "black" stuff they currently use is very hit or miss. Then again ebony isn't really ever totally jet black, if you hold the black looking ebony under a light you can usually see obvious colour changes that aren't visible in regular light conditions. So really it's only black from a certain set of lighting conditions.

That rocklite "ebano" stuff coutts used on a cue was jet black and was classed as an ebony substitute, surprised its not caught on more with cue makers as an option.

https://youtu.be/Cy4p-irAApc
                    I used to use a classic for a few years where as my mate has an ultimate.

He would often pick it up and play with it not being able to tell the difference. The ebony was fine and the grain was tight and straight and it was very good value compared to his.

His extension doesn't screw in straight and you can feel a lot of the grain in the shaft where the filler has come out but it still plays fine and is straight.

Unless I was just lucky, the classic I used was very good value and the ebony visualy was very good.

Yes, it certainly is real ebony!
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Way too much is made of the perceived quality of a cue that costs so much more than another. The owner of my local club has an ultimate, and it hits the ball like a pig. There are many players cues half its 'value' that hit a ball far better. I've known players win county titles, national and even World titles with rack cues. It's how a cue feels that's important, not how pretty it is.
                      I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Anyone got an ultimate they would consider selling for decent money then?

Or should i just get a 3/4 ultimate apparently that only takes a year to make.

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post

What would you call decent money. You have to be realistic, 1pc Ultimates direct from JP himself start at £1k. For someone to want to sell and you avoid a 5 year wait you are going to have to pay a premium I'm afraid. You are not going to get a cue for less than £1500 in all honesty.

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post

Option 2 i'd say.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                              Option 2 i'd say.
                              Bit the bullet and submitted the order for a 3/4 ultimate through the cue builder so I've got a years wait ahead of me certainly better than 5, here's hoping Parris cue's are indeed worth the wait.

It's my reward to myself for hitting the ton so I've got a deadline of 12 months to hit the first big magical number, wish me luck guys I'm determined putting lot of time on the practice table in the last couple months since I came back my games racing back up to my previous best standards.
                              Last edited by Derek P; 16 November 2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X