Replica Of World Snooker Trophy Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replica Of World Snooker Trophy Made

I did not see the article which was apparently shown on the BBC Look North local news programme on Monday but I have been informed from someone who did that a replica of the 80 year old snooker trophy was made in Sheffield just 6 weeks ago.It also pointed out that it was actually this replica that appeared in the cuezone "tent" on display opposite the Crucible Theatre along with the other trophies from the major tournaments.It also stated that original will not leave snooker headquarters.I know last year (2006) I had a picture with the trophy and thay clearly stated it was the original.I also had one in 2001 with my son and the trophy when it appeared in the Crucible itself in 2001 the only other occasion they allowed you to be pictured with it.Can anyone shed any light on this ? I presume John Higgins picked up the real thing on Monday ?
    2009 Shanghai Masters Predict the Qualifiers Champion

2008 Grand Prix Final Prediction Champion

http://ryan147.com

I think Joe Davis was presented with a replica many years ago, it always used to be in the heritage room.

I'm sure it was the real trophy in the Cuezone, and Higgins definately held the real trophy aloft on Monday night!
    I Love Snook!

Comment

Last year it was clearly visible – from a photo, in the June issue of Snooker Scene, of Graeme Dott holding up the trophy – that it had not at that point been inscribed with Shaun Murphy's name the year before. Official word was that they had not got round to it (or maybe Murphy had forgotten).

You could read both ways into that – that it was the real one and indeed it was overlooked, or that it was a replica that had been made before the 2005 championship.

Anyhow, the one in CueZone last week certainly did have Dott's name on it (and Murphy's, of course), so make of that what you will.

Comment

Originally Posted by kellie-text
        I think Joe Davis was presented with a replica many years ago, it always used to be in the heritage room.

I'm sure it was the real trophy in the Cuezone, and Higgins definately held the real trophy aloft on Monday night!
        Indeed, Joe was presented with a replica in around about 1948/49, two years after he won his 15th and last World title. This replica is now in the possession of Roger Lee. It is of course, minus the base on the current and original trophy, which I think, was added in 1978/79.

Comment

Do you know where the replica was made I am looking into someone making a replica for me.

Comment

Would also be very interested in knowing who made the replica!

And for what it's worth, I am fairly certain that the trophy I am holding in my avatar is the original trophy, and not a replica!!

Comment

Does anyone know what happened to the WPBSA 'world'/hemisphere from the Crucible?

Comment

Can it be replicated I Want to have one.

Comment

I have been in the Cuezone in Sheffield where the trophy is being displayed. I have literally then left, walked straight into the venue and the trophy is inside the arena by the table. Either one of the trophies is a replica, or they had Superman run the trophy around.

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                    Would also be very interested in knowing who made the replica!

And for what it's worth, I am fairly certain that the trophy I am holding in my avatar is the original trophy, and not a replica!!

I have a photo of me with the trophy as well. Though it wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the original one.

Comment

When Neil Robertson presented the trophy to the audience at the German Masters a few years ago, I had a chat with some officials. They told me, that the original trophy never leaves the safe. It's too valuable. No insurance company would take the risks if something happened to the trophy. I'm very sure that none of the trophies that are visible to the public is the real one.

Comment

Whats the point in having trophies if they are kept in a safe and replicas are handed out instead. Surely that would make the replica more valuable as its the trophy used?
                        2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

I thought it was quite common not handing original trophies out, off the top of my head I can think of the World Cup and the Ashes, both of these the winners are presented with replicas.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by dieselman147 View Post
                            Whats the point in having trophies if they are kept in a safe and replicas are handed out instead. Surely that would make the replica more valuable as its the trophy used?
                            Just as well it's not given the Calcutta cup treatment . . .

" In 1988 the cup was damaged by the antics of some drunken players, including England number eight Dean Richards and Scotland flanker John Jeffrey who played football with the Calcutta Cup along Princes Street in Edinburgh. Jeffrey received a six-month ban from the SRU, whilst Richards was given a one-match sentence from England."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I seem to remember some trouble jimmy white and Alex Higgins got into with the world championship trophy in 1982 too!
                              2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X