Help - Thuya Burr wood splice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Thuya Burr wood splice

I just got my cue with thuya Burr wood spliced.
    The burr wood has lots of natural brown or black dots, but how come some of the dots have a mini hole on it.

is everyone the same?

Originally Posted by Chrystal View Post
    The burr wood has lots of natural brown or black dots, but how come some of the dots have a mini hole on it.

is everyone the same?
    I think it's natural. Can u send some pictures of it ?
    It's in the Shaft

Comment

as long as it looks nice i would not worry about it - the finish should be fine.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

is everyone the same?
        I am not sure about other cue makers but I usually seal the open grains on the burl I use.

Does the burl feel smooth when you touch it?
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

it is little holes, when hold the cue you do not feel it.
          The cue itself cost me 620 punds, i was expecting to be perfect on this price
          Last edited by Chrystal; 13 January 2010, 02:55 AM.

Comment

What make of cue is it?
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

it is little holes, when hold the cue you do not feel it.
              The cue itself cost me 620 punds, i was expecting to be perfect on this price
              If you can only see it but cannot feel it it has probably been sealed. Burl may feel very bumpy over time if it's not sealed.

It is normal to see open grains on burl. As long as it is sealed I think it is fine.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Hunt & Osborne Black Plate

Comment

you can see the natural holes clearly, no idea whether it is sealed, and the splice of burr wood over the veneer down the bottom part of the cue is not very even. and you can see a little bit edge of the burr wood.

Comment

Hunt & Osborne Black Plate
                    Well, I am in no position to judge their work, and I do not intend to.

I think you should email Robert to try sort this out with him.

Good luck.

PS my friend purchased a 3/4 cue with a single burl facing from a well known Canadian cue maker about a year ago for over $1500 Canadian dollars. This cue maker usually sprays some kind of clear coat varnish on his cues. My friend asked him to leave it oil finished. The burl now feels rougher than my grandfather's forehead.
                    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 13 January 2010, 03:16 AM.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

it will cost me fair bit to send the cue back to UK.
                      and the splice point between veneer and burr wood really put me off, if i touch it, it will scratch my hand.
                      I was expecting to get a beautiful cue from UK, that really hurt me.

Comment

it will cost me fair bit to send the cue back to UK.
                        and the splice point between veneer and burr wood really put me off, if i touch it, it will scratch my hand.
                        I was expecting to get a beautiful cue from UK, that really hurt me.
                        I am sorry to hear that.

I am not sure I quite understand what you meant. You mean the burl wood has expanded a bit and is now raised?

Do you have a cue maker in your local area who may be able to take a look at it? It may be a very simple job to fix...
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I used a fine sand paper to sand the edge off last week.
                          left tiny scratch mark on the burr wood.
                          whatever, i am so ****ed off.

guys, reality is always far away from your expectation....

Comment

Sorry to hear that mate.

I have also got 4 Thuya Burl splices on my TW cue and it doesn't look to have any holes tho it might be all well sealed.

I think after sanding it off, you might want to get some sort of bee wax on to polish it again. I did use some wood finishing wax from Tasmania before on cues and it will look shiny and smooth - at least on the finished service.

Comment

Best bet is to bring or send (if too far away) your cue to your local cuemaker and get him solve your problem.

Your shld be able to get peter hanley if he is not too busy.

Comment

Working...
                              X