ball in hand question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball in hand question

Good day, Group. Thanks for letting this Western Colorado Yank join your group. I was introduced to the game about 25 years ago by a Englishman from South Yorkshire. We have four tables in four homes in our Club and play at least weekly.
    My opening question is if you are ball-in-hand after your opponent fouls and your only object ball is spotted in the D or is inside the D can you shoot it directly?
    Thank you, Ed

In snooker of course you can, there are no restrictions on direction in which you can play

Comment

Welcome to TSF Ed
      four full size tables in four homes - sounds fantastic
      without showing too much private stuff could we see some photos of your "club's" tables?
      What cues do you play with?
      How players in your club?

as JRC has said you can play in any direction, whether in the D or not
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

DeanH, we have six regulars and a few subs. We have three ten foot Brunswicks and my nine foot Olhausen (nine feet because of the width of the room, to make up the difference I have it covered with with Simonis felt made for a three cushion billiard table). one of the original members who has passed away, had a eight leg twelve foot table that came from London. it was cut to a ten foot length. The slate on that one was about two inches thick and was made about 1890. It had an interesting score board with it. I will see if I can get a picture of it as the home was recently sold. I have a two-piece Jackson cue (USA) and a multi-piece Buffalo (UK) that I just use for special occasions. The other cues are mostly USA two or three-piece. the Brunswicks are from 1910s, 1940s and 1950s. I will post some pictures when I figure out how to attach them. I set mine up with a light over each pocket and the others have a central three or four light above the table.Take care

Comment

yep some old tables did have really thick slate
          the interesting scoreboard - do you mean a really big one, with sliders on each side denoted by a colour? (that was for a game called Life Pool (a bit like Killer ))

to post images, don't use the TSF Attachments function - (1) you need over 10 posts (Intro posts don't count); (2) notoriously hard to manage - but do use any file-sharing site to obtain the forum-sharing code which is simply copy/pasted into your post

File-sharing sites
          Photobucket - nearly everyone used to use this but they now require a huge payment for the images to be shared.
          ImgBB and TinyPic (I like TinyPic) - are both simple to use and you don't need to register if you don't want to; just upload and click on the "forum code" or "Image code" (cant recall exactly the words)and paste into your TSF post
          I am sure there are other such sites.

hope this helps - looking forward to seeing your images
          ciao

Comment

The scoreboard records the score on numbered rotating wooden shafts/dowels with a brass sliding indicator. I think the numbers on the shaft were 0-19, 20-39 and so on. The one part no one ever figured out was the little slides that covered three colored spots, four or five slides on each side, they were not symmetrical in color arrangement. Cheers

Comment

in the club I go to we have two Life Pool-type scoreboards (one Thurston, one George Wright), the score-rollers go from 0-20 then 21-40, onwards, upto 120.
              yep the slides cover the three "lives" you have

some of these life-pool scoreboards can be worth a pretty penny

Comment

We have a life-pool score board in our club, il get a picture on thursday night at latest and upload.

Comment

Thank you. I believe the scoreboard is from the 1890s as well.

Comment

http://i66.tinypic.com/9r0nqs.jpg

Thats our score board burroughes and watts, London

Comment

ball in hand question

very nice

our two are not so wide but still wider than modern slider types
                      I'll try to get photos tomorrow

Comment

Beautiful! What is the purpose or use of the four little sliders on each side?

Comment

Originally Posted by Ed Mad Dog Bliss View Post
                          Beautiful! What is the purpose or use of the four little sliders on each side?
                          as mentioned earlier they hide three spots, which are your "lives" in Life Pool, which is a bit like "killer"; as another player pots you designated colour ball you lose a life (the slide moves across), third strikes and your out; the last person living wins the money

Comment

Working...
                          X