Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Riley snooker cue tip problem

Good evening,

This is my first ever snooker cue. The tip is not like one I have seen in my local club. The surface where you would put the chalk is very flat and smaller than a 5 pence piece. Not a kind of mushroom shape I have seen on normal cues.

Obviously there's the cue wood and then a gold attachment, then the cue tip. From the gold attachment, there is a centre metre black part of the tip and then the bit where you put the chalk is on top of that, it's very thin.

Do I need to file this down? Cut it?

Thanks
    Jacob

Hi, Jacob.

It sounds like the tip you have on your ferrule (that brass thing the tip is attached to) is a hard black tip that's fitted on some cues when you buy them. My new cue came with one, and I just cut it off and replaced it with an Elkmaster tip, one of the most common tip brands used by players. You could pick up Elkmaster tips from Amazon cheaply enough, and there are many guides on YouTube on how to change a tip.

Hope this helps.
    Dublin, Ireland • English pool (WPA)
    PLAYING CUE (MAIN): Custom Jason Owen - #1384 (one-piece • 57" • 8.4mm • 17oz)
    PLAYING CUE (BACKUP): Custom Peradon (one-piece • 57" • 8.7mm • 17.5oz)
    BREAK CUE: Custom Jason Owen (one-piece • 58" • 10mm • 16oz)​

Comment

Agree with Greg , get the tip changed .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

yes get the tip changed. someone at your local snooker club should be able to do it. if you state where in the world you are you may even get offers from other forum members local to you

Comment

Thank you everyone. I'll get the tip changed. I am based in Nuneaton warwickhire if anyone knows how to do it?

Comment

New Riley snooker cue tip problem

It is a fairly easy thing to do, but might be a scary one at first few times you do it. Helpful skill to master though. There are some tutorials around internet, perhaps you should check the one on mike wooldridges site, can't go wrong with that if you're willing to do it yourself.

Comment

Whilst I'd always change the tip on a new cue anyway, from what you describe it's just that the sidewall of the tip is high, the tip could be okay and just need reshaping, which would take the sidewall down and give more of a dome on the tip (chalk area as you describe it) still I'd get the tip changed as usually the tips fitted to new cues are rock hard rubbish only there to protect the ferrule whilst in transit imo.

Comment

Working...
              X