Snookered when fewer than15 balls are in the triangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snookered when fewer than15 balls are in the triangle

I found this on another website and do not understand the Note at the end. Thanks for any clarification of the statement:

The first player plays from in-hand, the frame commencing when the cue-ball has been placed on the table and contacted by the tip of the cue either:
    (i) as a stroke is made; or
    (ii) while addressing the cue-ball.

This seems clear, but is sometimes misunderstood so:

a) plays from in-hand
    The first player has the ball in his hand, and places it in the "D".
    b) places in the "D"
    The cue ball is placed in the "D" such that the centre line of the cue ball is either within or sitting directly on the lines defining the "D"
    c) a stroke is made
    the player plays a stroke. He does not foul if he positions the cue ball with his cue, even the cue tip, because he is not playing a stroke. He does not foul if he knocks another ball whilst placing the cue ball, because he is not playing a stroke.
    d) while addressing the cue ball
    If he has placed the cue ball and is addressing and accidentally touches it, he has fouled
    e) fails to contact a Red
    If he fails to first contact a Red ball on his stroke, he has fouled

If he has fouled, the table is not reset and the frame is not restarted; play simply continues from the resulting position of his foul.

Note: If there are fewer that 15 Red balls in the triangle, then from any spot in the "D", you are snookered on all Red balls.

Last line is not true, you cannot be snookered by another red

Comment

Snookered when fewer than15 balls are in the triangle

as JRC says a red cannot snooker another red, each red is taken individually when seeing if a snooker exists, ie. able to hit both extreme edges of the ball on with the cue ball.
      If you can hit one red both extreme edges there is no snooker regardless of the other reds.
      Last edited by DeanH; 10 February 2018, 07:45 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks, I did not see how that could be possible.

Comment

So which website did you find it on ?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            So which website did you find it on ?
            Snooker island?

Comment

Originally Posted by Ed Mad Dog Bliss View Post
              Thanks, I did not see how that could be possible.
              At least you thought about it
              Did you get those photos of your billiard rooms (and score boards) yet?

Comment

This is it: http://www.rulesofsnooker.com/amendm...12th-2014.html

Comment

I have the table pictures but not of the old scoreboard.

Comment

Ah yes the one from Canada, surprised they posted what they did as usually they are pretty good.

Comment

I have the table pictures but not of the old scoreboard.
                      I went to the club on Tuesday and totally forgot to get pictures of the two we have as the frames my friend and I played were great, will remember next time

Comment

I am a little late to this party, but I think you guys are not actually addressing the actual question of the OP. That is,

"I found this on another website and do not understand the Note at the end. ...
                        Note: If there are fewer that 15 Red balls in the triangle, then from any spot in the 'D', you are snookered on all Red balls."

This note is trying to be helpful to state that when there is a full complement of 15 Reds in the pyramid, then a foul from in hand will not offer a Free Ball. However, there are many variations of Snooker which may use fewer than 15 Reds to start....obviously the 6 Red Tournament comes to mind. I have played with just 3 Reds for quick frames when several players are waiting to get some table time. And common practice on smaller tables, like 9 feet long or less, is to just use 10 Reds to avoid congestion in the Pyramid area.

So this note stating that in the event of a foul which does not disturb the Pyramid and results in ball in hand from the "D" (in particular, if the opening break off stroke does not disturb the Reds at all and the White falls in a pocket), then the incoming striker will in fact have a Free Ball available if the frame commenced with fewer than 15 Reds. It is nothing special, no change to the Rule, it is just a matter of geometry.

Comment

Working...
                        X