Rest head height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest head height?

What is the appropriate rest head height? Is there some sort of standard for tournaments?
    Normally, rest head X is shaped so that one side is for screw/stun and other for top/run through.

I always use the wider x, whatever the shot...

Just adjust your arms if you need to hit higher, that way you can keep your head in line with the shot and there's less chance of snatching.

The height doesn't matter too much.

Comment

Hi pottr. I also almost always use wider X.
      But in this new club I'm in, I have a definite feeling that rest heads are higher than usual. Even with the wider X, when you have cue as parallel as possible, looks like heavy top spin to me, miscue limit even. Should it not point to somewhere in the middle or slightly above?
      With narrow X, cue points to very top of the cue ball, definitely over miscue limit.
      So, to play stun/screw, now I need to adjust, the cue needs to be angled noticeably. I really don't like this.
      Are there any official numbers? For e.g. if balls are 2 1/16, rest head must be xyz inches tall with some tolerance allowed...etc.
      I just wonder if new club owner got wrong equipment somehow. Or the black screws with are attached to X are too big.

Comment

The rest toes might be oversized?

I couldn't tell you if there is a standard size. What I can tell you is there are more different types of rests than you need.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          The rest toes might be oversized?

I couldn't tell you if there is a standard size. What I can tell you is there are more different types of rests than you need.
          It definitely could be the toes. Try setting up the rest with the cue just above parallel in your normal position and see where the tip is on the cueball at address position. You definitely don't want to be delivering down on the CB as that would almost be like using the spider.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            It definitely could be the toes. Try setting up the rest with the cue just above parallel in your normal position and see where the tip is on the cueball at address position. You definitely don't want to be delivering down on the CB as that would almost be like using the spider.
            Yes, the toes look quite big to me. I didn't know the right term to describe properly.
            Well, if the cue is just slightly above parallel, it still points to top spin position, i.e. rolling ball.
            Very very uncomfortable. Will look for shorter rest toes.

Comment

We have some new rests in our club and it's not easy to see the difference between the low X and the high X. That moose head rest would be great if was made of brass and had some weight to it, does everything, high, low and spider.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
              X