Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight-year-old Cuestars record breaker

Harry ‘The Potter’ earns place in Cuestars records book

AN EIGHT-year-old has earned a place in the record books of a regional snooker circuit that covers central southern England.

Harry Wyatt is the youngest tournament winner in the nine-year history of the Cuestars Under-21 Bronze Tour.

And the previous day, he became the second youngest champion of the Eastleigh & District Under-13 Premier.

Playing in only his third Cuestars event, Wyatt defeated 11-year-old Dylan Smith (Tunbridge Wells) 2-0 in the final at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon.

Dad Chris said: “I could burst with pride. But I have never been so nervous in all my life.”

And he added: “Harry is overjoyed and loves playing under pressure when trophies are on the line.”

Now joint third in the rankings, Wyatt finished second in his five-man round-robin group in the event sponsored by Nice Clean Ltd and Don Rogers Sports.

He then edged home player Katie Griffin 2-1 and overcame Thomas McEvoy (Warminster) 2-0 to reach his first final.

He had lost in the semi-finals of the second leg in Waterlooville after failing to win a single frame on his debut in Salisbury in September.

It means Smith has collected the runner-up trophy in all three events since he made his Cuestars debut this season.

Owen Jenkins (Havant) remains top of the rankings despite losing 2-1 in the quarter-finals to his Waterlooville Sports Bar clubmate Thomas Sharp.

For the third event running, Sharp lost 2-0 to Smith in the last-four.

McEvoy climbs to fifth place after reaching his first semi-final.

Wyatt, who turns nine next month and has a high break of 31 in competition, travels to Chandlers Ford Snooker Club from his home in Ferndown to compete in the club’s Saturday morning under-13 league and receive one-to-one coaching.

The previous day, he ended the 20-week season a massive 24 points clear of Lennon Savage.

Havant teenager Jamie Wilson was three months younger when he clinched his first Under-13 Premier title in June, 2012.

Wilson, who turns 15 on Sunday, has since reached the English Under-14 Championship final, won his first England cap and made ten centuries.

The fourth leg of ten is at Frames Sports Bar, Coulsdon, on Sunday, December 2.

For more information about the event sponsors, visit www.nicecleanltd.co.uk and www.donrogerssports.co.uk.

BRONZE RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Thomas McEvoy (Salisbury SC); 2nd, Owen Jenkins (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Freddie Turner (Salisbury SC); 4th, Sam Walter (Mayfair, Gosport); 5th, James Slade (Crucible, Newbury).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Dylan Smith (Victoria SC, Tunbridge Wells); 2nd, Katie Griffin (Jesters, Swindon); 3rd, Daniel Walter (Mayfair, Gosport); 4th, Jaydon Elliott (147 SC, Swindon); 5th, George Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Thomas Sharp (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Harry Wyatt (Chandlers Ford SC); 3rd, Taylor Elliott (147 SC, Swindon); 4th, Eddie Mason (Salisbury SC); 5th, Will Kempson (Salisbury SC).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): McEvoy 2-1 D Walter, Wyatt 2-1 Griffin, Smith 2-0 Turner, Sharp 2-1 Jenkins.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Smith 2-0 Sharp, Wyatt 2-0 McEvoy.

FINAL (25/18 points): Wyatt 2-0 Smith.

Cowdroy ends six-year drought at Jesters

IT WAS more than six years ago that this last happened.

Bradley Cowdroy collected the winner’s trophy in the third leg of the Cuestars Under-21 Gold Tour at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon.

The 16-year-old from Bournemouth had not won a tournament at that club since 2012.

Cowdroy pocketed £60 prize money after beating 15-year-old Mickey Joyce (Basingstoke) 2-0 in the final.

The England internationals and fellow Premier Junior Tour players were both unbeaten in the group stages.

Cowdroy admitted he took time to get going in the event sponsored by Nice Clean Ltd and Don Rogers Sports.

He said: “I know I sound like a broken record but again it was my typical slow start in the groups and I was really struggling for any sort of rhythm.

“But then after I managed to get through, I tweaked a few things before the knockouts and started to play some decent stuff.

“I probably saved my best until last in the final against Mickey.”

Recalled his previous success, Cowdroy added: “It was the first time I’ve won there since May, 2012 when I was a little 10-year-old kid in Bronze. So it brought back a few nice memories, for sure.”

Cowdroy extended his rankings lead to 23 points. Remarkably, second-placed Oliver Sykes and Connor Benzey, in third, finished fifth and sixth in their six-man round-robin group.

Last season’s Bronze Tour rankings winner Ronnie Sullivan made the semi-finals for the first time. The Londoner beat Aidan Murphy (Bristol) 2-1 in the last-eight before going out 2-0 to Joyce.

Earlier, Murphy recorded the day’s highest break of 88.

In the second semi, Cowdroy beat Ryan Hughes (Chandler’s Ford) 2-0 to deny his opponent a first appearance in a Gold final.

For more information about the event sponsors, visit www.nicecleanltd.co.uk and www.donrogerssports.co.uk.

BREAKS

Aidan Murphy: 88, 41, 40.
    Mickey Joyce: 57, 48.
    Ryan Hughes: 40.
    Elliott Weston: 45.
    Bradley Cowdroy: 46, 45, 41.
    Ronnie Sullivan: 47.

GOLD RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Bradley Cowdroy (Greenbaize, Bournemouth); 2nd, Aidan Murphy (Brislington & St Annes Conservative Club, Bristol); 3rd, Ryan Hughes (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Riccardo Drayton (Chandlers Ford SC); 5th, Chloe White (Waterlooville Sports Bar).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Mickey Joyce (Academy, Basingstoke); 2nd, Elliott Weston (Top Spot, Havant); 3rd, Ronnie Sullivan (Frames, Coulsdon); 4th, Jamie Wilson (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 5th, Oliver Sykes (Chandlers Ford SC); 6th, Connor Benzey (Chandlers Ford SC).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Hughes 2-1 Weston, Cowdroy 2-0 Wilson, Sullivan 2-1 Murphy, Joyce 2-1 Drayton.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Joyce 2-0 Sullivan, Cowdroy 2-0 Hughes.

FINAL (£60/£25, 25/18 points): Cowdroy 2-0 Joyce.

Shane shines in Swindon

SWINDON teenager Shane Kearns is convinced he can compete on a regional junior snooker circuit after landing his first winner’s trophy for nearly two years.

The quiet man of the Cuestars Under-21 Silver Tour allowed his cue to do the talking in the third leg on home tables at Jesters Snooker Club

Kearns defeated Portsmouth potter Samuel Laxton 2-0 in the final of the event sponsored by Nice Clean Ltd and Don Rogers Sports.

The 17-year-old earned promotion from the Bronze Tour at the end of the 2016/17 campaign but was knocked out in the groups stages in seven of the eight tournaments he entered last season.

But he stuck at it and picked up the runner-up trophy in the first leg in Salisbury two months ago.

Reflecting on his historic day, Kearns said: “I knew it was going to be tough but I managed to keep it together and I played well.

“Winning the final has given me the confidence to know I can do well on the Silver Tour.”

Kearns added that he was forced to claw back deficits in most of his frames.

He topped his four-man round-robin group, despite losing 2-1 to leg-two winner and rankings leader Louie Leighton (Basildon), and didn’t drop a frame in the knockout.

He beat nine-year-old O’Shay Scott (Eastleigh) and Kaine Petty (Fordingbridge) by 2-0 scorelines to reach the final.

Now second in the rankings and 15 points adrift of Leighton, Kearns last collected a winner’s trophy on the Bronze Tour in Coulsdon in December, 2016.

Laxton, last season’s Bronze Tour Championship play-off winner, edged Leighton 2-1 in the last-four to reach his first Silver final.

BREAKS

Richard Hillgrove: 40.
    Keegan Reed: 37.
    O’Shay Scott: 35.

SILVER RESULTS

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP A: 1st, Shane Kearns (Jesters SC, Swindon); 2nd, Louie Leighton (Basildon SC); 3rd, Zak Truscott (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 4th, Oliver Cooper (Frames, Coulsdon).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP B: 1st, Samuel Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 2nd, Callum White (Waterlooville Sports Bar); 3rd, Riley Ellis (147 SC, Swindon); 4th, Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport).

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP C: 1st, Richard Hillgrove (Basildon SC); 2nd, Kaine Petty (Salisbury SC); 3rd, O’Shay Scott (Chandlers Ford SC); 4th, Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC).

QUARTER-FINALS (12 points): Kearns 2-0 Scott, Petty 2-0 White, Laxton 2-0 Truscott, Leighton 2-0 Hillgrove.

SEMI-FINALS (15 points): Kearns 2-0 Petty, Laxton 2-1 Leighton.

FINAL (25/18 points): Kearns 2-0 Laxton.

Plate victory for Keegan in Swindon

KEEGAN Reed saw off last month’s Silver winner Riley Ellis to claim the Plate trophy in the third legs of the Cuestars Under-21 Tours at Jesters Snooker Club, Swindon.

Reed (Salisbury) had chalked up a 37 break but failed to qualify for the knockout from his Silver Tour group in the event sponsored by Nice Clean Ltd and Don Rogers Sports.

He edged Ellis (Clyffe Pypard, North Wilts) 2-1 in the Plate final.

Ellis, who triumphed in Waterlooville in October, missed out on the knockout by one frame.

The fourth legs of ten are at Frames Sports Bar, Coulsdon, on Sunday, December 2.

PLATE RESULTS (ONE-FRAME MATCHES)

PRELIMS: George Laxton (Waterlooville Sports Bar) beat Will Kempson (Salisbury SC), Keegan Reed (Salisbury SC) beat Will Forster (Mayfair, Gosport).

QUARTER-FINALS: Reed beat Laxton, Taylor Elliott (147 SC, Swindon) beat Eddie Mason (Salisbury SC), James Slade (Crucible, Newbury) beat Sam Walter (Mayfair, Gosport), Riley Ellis (147 SC, Swindon) beat Jaydon Elliott (147 SC, Swindon).

SEMI-FINALS: Reed beat T Elliott, Ellis beat Slade.

FINAL: Reed 2-1 Ellis.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk
Working...
X