Six-year-old makes 32 break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six-year-old makes 32 break

IF I HAD seen this on the internet, I would have taken it with an extremely large pinch of salt.

No, it was not in a practice routine. Yes, it was on a full-sized table. No, it was not in a friendly match.

I’ve grown accustomed to seeing some astonishing feats in my 18 years associated with the junior game at Chandlers Ford Snooker Club.

But watching six-year-old William Thomson (pictured) complete a 32 break against Kean Zhu on Table 8 at 2.58pm on Day 6 of the Christmas Cup left me shaking my head in disbelief.

I watched it from 15 onwards. His dad, David, was sat on a chair by the fire escape next to Table 9. His mum, ZoƩ, was in the bar and the first to be told. Also in the bar was club-owner Ray Cooper, who had challenged William to increase his high break of 20 to 25 by the end of 2018 (so that goes down as a failure!).

Remarkably, William - who won’t be seven until June - took yellow and green with the first two reds. He followed that with three blacks and missed the yellow off the sixth red.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    Last edited by snookerdad; 3 January 2019, 11:02 PM.
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Great stuff .......he would need to give me a start !
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Absolutely incredible! Hard to believe that's even possible
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I agree completely, Steve. I'm still struggling to accept it and I was there.

But we have seen him develop over nearly two years now.

William has played on a small table at home since he was about two. The way he gets through the ball is purely natural and a delight to watch.

He joined our Saturday morning under-13 league just before his fifth birthday.

He made a four-ball 14 break just after his fifth birthday (we only record breaks in competition, friendly matches don't count).

In 2018, he had a 16 in March, a 17 in May and a 20 in June, just after his sixth birthday.

I remember sometime last year he called a foul on himself on a 16 break.

This won't mean much to players not familiar with Cuestars but on Monday he became the youngest player in history to pass Level 4 of the Cuestars Academy.

Tim
        http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Amazing, Tim! Must be great to watch him coming on so quickly.

Keep us posted on his progress. Will be very interesting to see how he gets on in the next few years.
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
          X