Greetings from Vancouver Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Vancouver Canada

Greetings to all from Vancouver Canada - where hopefully snooker will make a comeback some day.

I finally had my dream come true of moving to a place large enough to fit a home snooker table, and got a used riley aristocrat with steel rails setup in the basement (cellar I think you folk call it

It's been near impossible to set it up properly as there aren't any snooker table mechanics left here, and only two pool table shops, and 1 club left that has any snooker tables. I had a pool table mechanic set mine up and provided the templates from this site, and they did their best with it...but it is off for sure.... oh well, at least I have a table to play on and as I'm not a pro, I suppose it doesnt' have to be exact...but would have been nice.

I've started another thread in the questions forum with photos of my pocket size openings, and hoping others will post their photos as well so that we can all have something to compare against.

Well, glad to find a site dedicated to snooker fans/players - and thank goodness for Youtube otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch any snooker over here at all - everything is blocked - even if I wanted to pay for Eurosport/BBC players they don't' allow it..... it makes enjoying snooker over here so very difficult!

Happy potting!

Hello from Thunder Bay, Ontario

I watch snooker daily on Youtube.... plenty of snooker to watch and usually in HD

Mark

Comment

Wow , that sounds like a great set up . Jealous !!

Any pics ?

Quite a few of you Maple Leafs on here , someone maybe able to point you in the right direction of a table fitter .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

not being picky but serious question......

how does a vegan feel when playing snooker when the tip is made of leather or other animal skin products???

Comment

Realvegan:

Welcome to the site. There are some good table fitters in Ontario and the one I use is Pat McCarthy who has always done an excellent job with my BCE Westbury which is also in my basement.

Although Pat probably wouldn't travel out to you it might be worth it for him to talk to the pool table fitter you used so he can do a better job or at least fix what problems you presently have.

We have another member on here from the Vancouver area 'the longbomber' who might also be able to help out as I believe he also has his own 10ft table and he also plays in a club. I know there is a club there with 11 or 12 snooker tables which was bought by a Chinese guy who moved from Toronto and he sometimes comes down to play in the Canadians with a few of his players.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Good catch! Ronnie and Robertson are also both vegan it seems?

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/beaut...gan-loopy.html

I also feed my dog and cats meat. You are right about the tip and also the pocket leathers. Even the wood is taking away some natural habitat. I guess I try to do what I can but and accept what can't be changed as it's natural for carnivores to eat animals and I guess nobody has yet come to with synthetic tips, otherwise I'd use one!

Comment

Greetings from Vancouver Island. I suggest you contact Kevin Deleeuw (250 656-4524), he is the go to guy for setting up, moving or re-clothing of the snooker and pool tables here on Vancouver Island.

Comment

Realvegan

I'm in Penticton, BC. and I also have a Riley "Aristocrat" with steel rails. It came out of the Top 147 club in Vancouver. The table was initially set up by Simon Pickering from Vancouver, but his expertise was not in setting up snooker tables. The table originally had a Strachan Tournament Gold cloth but has since been replaced with a #10 cloth which was installed by Mark (The Billiards Guy). Mark has years of experience setting up/maintaining the snooker tables at the Terminal City club in Vancouver. PM me if you would like his contact information.

Comment

Hi gents. I'm back on the forum. Realvegan, would LOVE to come out and have a game
                  Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                  My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

realvegan - welcome to TSF
                    Would love to see photos of your table and room
                    What cues do you have?

TLB - welcome back
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Where you been?...…….hibernating !!!
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Greetings from Alberta!

I too setup an older table in the summer in the garage but now its so cold i cant keep my hands on the slate for more than a few seconds! Waiting to move somewhere where the table can move with me, hopefully next summer.

AJ

Comment

Originally Posted by Realvegan View Post
                          Greetings to all from Vancouver Canada - where hopefully snooker will make a comeback some day.

I finally had my dream come true of moving to a place large enough to fit a home snooker table, and got a used riley aristocrat with steel rails setup in the basement (cellar I think you folk call it

It's been near impossible to set it up properly as there aren't any snooker table mechanics left here, and only two pool table shops, and 1 club left that has any snooker tables. I had a pool table mechanic set mine up and provided the templates from this site, and they did their best with it...but it is off for sure.... oh well, at least I have a table to play on and as I'm not a pro, I suppose it doesnt' have to be exact...but would have been nice.

I've started another thread in the questions forum with photos of my pocket size openings, and hoping others will post their photos as well so that we can all have something to compare against.

Well, glad to find a site dedicated to snooker fans/players - and thank goodness for Youtube otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch any snooker over here at all - everything is blocked - even if I wanted to pay for Eurosport/BBC players they don't' allow it..... it makes enjoying snooker over here so very difficult!

Happy potting!
                          Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                          Where you been?...…….hibernating !!!
                          Yes sir!! Took a big break!
                          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Longbomber, do you play/live in the Vancouver area? I’m in Maple Ridge.

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                              not being picky but serious question......

how does a vegan feel when playing snooker when the tip is made of leather or other animal skin products???
                              Unlike Ronnie, they're not part of my regular diet, so it doesn't really bother me. If and when a decent alternative becomes available, then I'll switch.
                              There is of course an ethical side to it all, but in my entire life I'm unlikely to go through more than one shoe's worth of leather in cue tips, which I can live with.
                              At the end of the day, we do what we can. Well, some of us do.

https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/livin...et-report-2018

-
                              Last edited by PatBlock; 30 October 2018, 09:36 AM.
                              The fast and the furious,
                              The slow and labourious,
                              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Working...
                              X