No announcement yet.

HELP!! What is the correct cue length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! What is the correct cue length?

Hi everybody. Just looking for some advice on cue dimensions. I am 6ft 2.5" (189cm) and I'm currently playing with a cheap 57" 2-piece which is too short for me. I can still manage breaks of 50+ but feel if I had the correct length cue it would make things a bit easier! I'm looking at sites in order to purchase a nice cue, maybe a Ton Praram, but do not want to waste my money on the wrong cue. Any advice on length and weight of cue would be greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/-ihZh4DpG8k
    Have a look at this. Explains how to measure cue length for you.

Comment

your best bet would be to go to a shop that sells snooker cues which you can try out and decide on which one feels right

Comment

I am 188cm and i use a 59 inch cue. 60 inch should also be good for you. Good luck with youre choice.

Comment

I had the same question on my mind while looking for a cue since I'm on the hunt for my first cue. I read alot of threads here and watched videos. Although most say that the ideal length of a cue should be from the ground till between your armpits and shoulders, a lot of other factors play a major role too such as your stance, your bridge arm whether it's bent or straight, your bridge distance from the cue, where you hold the cue at the butt etc.

I came across this post which will give you a rough guide on the cue length

https://i.ibb.co/Pg2sCNS/Screenshot-20190222-043545.jpg

Comment

I'm 6'2", 58 inches is fine. 59 inches would leave no doubt. 60 inches is too much in my opinion

Comment

I'm also six two but my arm span is 74 inches so I use a 61 inch cue which enables me to have a straight bridge arm which I prefer, twelve inches of cue over my thumb and my cue arm just behind the vertical at address, think Neil Robertson who I believe uses a 59 for similar dimensions. I have used a 60 on occasion with no real problems but it didn't feel as good as mine, and if a cue is a tad long you don't have to hold it right at the end; you need something long enough to feel relaxed in your stance so that you don't have to pull everything in.

Also if the cue fits your physique you will be able to hold it differently when break building around the pink and black spots (shorter bridge) and long shots (longer bridge). This is a subconscious thing that all the best players do when they have a cue that fits them, watch Ding for a perfect example.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I will do some more research and hopefully be in a position to buy the correct cue soon.

Comment

Arm span? Never heard that as a snooker measurement before... Only ever used it in boxing, called reach.

My reach is two inches longer than vmax's at 76" and I couldn't imagine using a 61" cue.

Comment

I just measured my arm span and it is 78". My shoulder is just over 60" I think. Confused!

Comment

Thanks, I'll keep researching!

Comment

Thanks. Where have you been looking online for the cue?

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                          Arm span? Never heard that as a snooker measurement before... Only ever used it in boxing, called reach.

My reach is two inches longer than vmax's at 76" and I couldn't imagine using a 61" cue.
                          Now I'm a bit different in that with a 58 my cue arm is vertical at address, which most would say is ideal, but it feels forward to me and I don't like it. Those three inches puts it back just the width of my hand and that's enough to make it feel right, especially on the follow through.
                          Now a 59 would probably be fine for me, I've made a few around that length and when giving them a bash played OK, but my cue is my cue and no one elses as I've had it since '85 and my game went from 20+ breaks to 50+ breaks within weeks of aquiring it.

I have a 60.25 one piece and a 61.5 3/4 for sale if anyone feels the need for extra inches, both ash.
                          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by psyhigh View Post
                            I had the same question on my mind while looking for a cue since I'm on the hunt for my first cue. I read alot of threads here and watched videos. Although most say that the ideal length of a cue should be from the ground till between your armpits and shoulders, a lot of other factors play a major role too such as your stance, your bridge arm whether it's bent or straight, your bridge distance from the cue, where you hold the cue at the butt etc.

I came across this post which will give you a rough guide on the cue length

https://i.ibb.co/Pg2sCNS/Screenshot-20190222-043545.jpg
                            Thanks....Where have you been looking online?

Comment

For the cue? Ebay and dealers here from other cities since there's no dealer here. Still haven't found the right one but close. I've chosen one but holding on for another day before I buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X