Hello from Durham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Durham

Evening all, been meaning to join this forum for ages. I was bitten by the snooker bug in the late 1970s as a kid, as many were, had a 6x3 in the dining room at my parents house for years. Finally convinced the Mrs to get me one for my 47th birthday next week! Loved watching Jimmy White back in the day and Ronnie now, along with the healthy number of North East players currently on the tour.

Welcome to TSF .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Welcome to the forum ?

Comment

What's Durham like these days to play mate? Welcome to the forum as well
        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

The big snooker hall in Durham City got demolished last year to make way for student flats. A sad day. My neck of the woods, Houghton-le-Spring has a flourishing snooker club. Once I've knocked in my 6x3 at home, I'll be giving it a go there.

Comment

Hello, I have family in Durham and always went for a few frames in that club. That was the one above a kwikfit? Used to head along with my brother for a few pints and frames while others were along at the indoor market or the other shops. We usually stay in the premier inn central so was really handy. Shame it went really as I don't think there's anywhere as close. Enjoy the forum.
            :snooker:

Comment

That's the one. Nothing at all now in the city except for one at a private members club (the ones with the funny handshakes). Nearest ones are 5 miles to the east in Houghton-le-Spring or to the south-west in Spennymoor.

Comment

Originally Posted by Sitting Room Snooker View Post
                That's the one. Nothing at all now in the city except for one at a private members club (the ones with the funny handshakes). Nearest ones are 5 miles to the east in Houghton-le-Spring or to the south-west in Spennymoor.
                Yeah bit too far for us, we get the train down to save bothering with paying a fortune in parking fees in town. we generally are around he town centre and then as far as Framwellgate 2 mins up the road. what I don't miss are the stairs to that place. left a bit wobbly a couple of times and they could be a bit sketchy...
                :snooker:

Comment

The big snooker hall in Durham City got demolished last year to make way for student flats. A sad day. My neck of the woods, Houghton-le-Spring has a flourishing snooker club. Once I've knocked in my 6x3 at home, I'll be giving it a go there.
                  Was that Michael Rhodes dad's club? Eddie Rhodes

Wibble

Comment

Not sure, I'll ask around at work. It used to be called Supa Snooker then latterly Durham City Snooker Club. Spent a few happy dinner times in there not wanting to go back to work.

Comment

Not sure, I'll ask around at work. It used to be called Supa Snooker then latterly Durham City Snooker Club. Spent a few happy dinner times in there not wanting to go back to work.
                      I've just been having a read up on it and it was the same club, shame

Wibble

Comment

The real shame was the disrepair that it fell into. I used to go there quite regularly about 4 or 5 years ago and periodically up until it closed. The decline was astounding. I'm fairly certain that some of the tables weren't reclothed over that entire period. There are, of course, a number of reasons that this may have been the case, but it was still a shame to see.

Comment

The 6x3 arrived today after several weeks wait. Already made a clearance on the colours. Sadly too late to enter the WC qualifiers 😀.

Comment

Working...
                          X