X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup cue

Hi Players!

Question:
    Why professional players don't have a backup cue? Is it so difficult to make a cue similar to the one they prefer? It would be fewer trouble if a tip gets off...

backup cue

No two cues are alike

Comment

I know that, but which one is worst: use a slight different cue (but already know) or a new and unknown tip?

Comment

Originally Posted by pedroja View Post
        Hi Players!

Question:
        Why professional players don't have a backup cue? Is it so difficult to make a cue similar to the one they prefer? It would be fewer trouble if a tip gets off...
        As Pottr said no two cues are alike. It would cause more trouble then it's worth.

Comment

With a new tip going on a cue, they get a chance to play it in a little before going back on I think...
          For that one you've always wanted...
          https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

A few Pro's down our club have back up cues .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
              A few Pro's down our club have back up cues .
              I remember a guy at the club had a snooker cue and an alternative he used for billiards.

He said that they both always seemed right as he had accepted that they were for different sports. He said that if he ever lost one he would then be able to use the other for both.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Lets take Kyren as an example.in the Worlds He had his tip off. 15min to change and a lot stress tô decide to put a new one or reinstall the old. A backup cue would make the transition easier!

Comment

Lets take Kyren as an example.in the Worlds He had his tip off. 15min to change and a lot stress tô decide to put a new one or reinstall the old. A backup cue would make the transition easier!
                  I was a little surprised he went into the World Championships with a tip that small.
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Quite a few of the players will have some played in tips they have cut off in there kit just in case they need to replace and don't want to be breaking in a brand new tip. Far easier solution than a spare cue.

Comment

Instead of back up cues every top player who is using elks should have 2/3 used ones in their case.
                      Laminated tips don't matter so much as they play well from the off.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                        I was a little surprised he went into the World Championships with a tip that small.
                        I think you might be surprised at what pro players don't know about their equipment in a lot of cases. I am always amazed at a good player relying on someone else to replace a tip for them, like Ronnie did that one time. I do my own tips all the time and I also keep used tips in my kit and I have a spare 2pc cue which will fit into my luggage in case my cue gets lost and I'm not trying to make a living off the cue.
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I remember Hendry saying he wouldn't know where to start with changing a tip - how difficult is it to cut one off and glue another one on?

Comment

It's not surprising at all when they can't change a tip or don't understand anything to do with their equipment. They're that good because their sole focus is playing their best. Outside distractions like understanding cues/tips/physics of the game would lead to them tinkering or searching for that "magic pill". The phrase jack of all trades, master of none, epitomises why we aren't elite level players. We search for knowledge and try to think a good game. They "just do" and if things aren't going we'll rely on their coach.

Understanding the "why" is great for vocational learning and cognitive activities. It's almost the opposite for elite level sport. To them the feels of what they do are what matters and the pysocological state they play in. "Why" their elbow position having crept out slightly is making them cue across is their coaches job to diagnose and fix. There are the odd exceptions but generally what they "do" (what they FEEL) and what really happens are different things. It allows them to cue in a subconscious state and nullify pressure by repeating their routine and feels. Some do it better than others.

All the above is why a backup cue wouldn't work as even if they played and felt identical, they'd "feel" it differently and play sub optimally.

Comment

backup cue

A back up cue for a pro is a different matter entirely.

Wakelin got on the tour because his opponent's cue snapped... He couldn't continue, was docked frame and match.

Similar if you turn up without chalk, I think... you lose the frame for not being ready to play?

Comment

Working...
                              X