Fitting a layered tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a layered tip

I just got a layered tip to try out and I have never fitted one before.
    Is there anything different I should do or look out for when trimming etc?

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
    I just got a layered tip to try out and I have never fitted one before.
    Is there anything different I should do or look out for when trimming etc?
    Do you mean laminated or single layer? I have a few videos on You Tube for fitting tips (only simple stuff), try one of them if you aren't sure.

The Snooker Crazy Group
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I mean multiple layers, I thought "layered tip" was what you call a tip with multiple layers?
      I guess I was wrong and the correct term is laminated?

Comment

I mean multiple layers, I thought "layered tip" was what you call a tip with multiple layers?
        I guess I was wrong and the correct term is laminated?
        That's ok, just clarifying. There is a video on the laminated tip (Talisman Tip) on the link.

Comment

I just watched it, good video, all the videos you have that I have seen are good.

Comment

Bob, not really anything different. Affix as you would any other tip. Shape it by sanding from above and down towards the cue and go through the different grades as you normally would.

Comment

I had a crack at it. I found it harder to trim than a single layer pressed tip, but it turned out OK.
              Cheers gents

Comment

I had a crack at it. I found it harder to trim than a single layer pressed tip, but it turned out OK.
                Cheers gents
                Bob, can I just say your new avatar scares me, makes me feel unclean and also inspires a need in me to check on my kids to make sure they are fine.....
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I just watched it, good video, all the videos you have that I have seen are good.
                  Gonna second that quote. I have found a lot of help at Snooker Crazy, thanks to Marc.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                    Bob, can I just say your new avatar scares me, makes me feel unclean and also inspires a need in me to check on my kids to make sure they are fine.....
                    Haha, I still can't that believe that a group of people made those promos, thought they were good and used them.
                    I can't remember what competition it was from now though.
                    Last edited by bobmikeking; 30 January 2019, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Haha, I still can't that believe that a group of people made those promos, thought they were good and used them.
                      I can't remember what competition it was from now though.
                      Lolz, agreed and no doubt they got paid well for doing them! You didn't need to change it mate but thanks anyway.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Cheers gents
                        Personally I find it easier to use a No.3 scalpel and a 10a blade and cut the tip by turned the cue+, lots of ways to do it though.

Comment

I do have those, bought them after watching one of your videos. I just can't get good results using them. I use a similar method but I use a utility blade instead.

Comment

I do have those, bought them after watching one of your videos. I just can't get good results using them. I use a similar method but I use a utility blade instead.
                            What are you struggling with Bob, I find them great because they are so sharp.

I get the normal method is to cut down on the tip and then try and tidy it up afterwards but turning the cue slowly against a scalpel gives a cleaner more uniform cut which should be even around the tip.

There are many ways to get to the same result so if you have found one that gets you there then I guess you have still cracked it mate.

Comment

I can get good results with the scalple, but I find it very easy to cut into the side of the tip even when taking my time and paying attention. I am not sure but I have wondered if it is anything to do with me being left handed. When using it right handed the blade is pretty close to level with the side of the handle. But on the other side it is more offset with the part of the handle the blade attaches to sticking out more. I don't know if I am hitting that and it is making the blade move/twist unusually or if it is a cobinatination of things. It could just be me but I am usually pretty good with my hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X