Steel ferrules???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel ferrules???

Was thinking about trying a steel ferrule. Has anyone tried?? Would like to know if there was any difference from brass or phenolic. Heard that maybe there would be more deflection because the ferrule is heavier, is this true??
    Would love to hear your opinion on this.
    Regards Ronnie

The weight is similar to brass (heavier than plastic though) so not much difference there. Main advantage is that it is a less maleable metal, so would probably last longer. I think there are titanium ferrules around, which would be harder and lighter than brass. So, unless you want to try plastic or plastic/fibre type composite, that might have more advantages than stainless steel.

Comment

Last year I had my cue in the lathe fitting a new tip and when burnishing the brass ferrule it overheated slightly, melting the glue and the ferrule came loose, time for a new one as it was over thirty years old and played many power shots in that time.
      I decided on stainless steel as I have some 10mm stainless tube so I made one and fitted it to the cue and to be honest it feels no different to the brass one it replaced.
      I play the same sidespin shots allowing for the same deflection and it all works the same, so if you want a stainless steel ferrule then go for it but it won't improve your game.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Well that's good to know that it's no different between brass and stainless steel. No don't think it will improve my game by putting on a stainless, just thought it lookt nice. And I will have it brushed and a good quality tip.
        Thanks for the input.
        /Ronnie

Comment

just to echo what has been said above, i have a cue with a stainless steel ferrule and can tell no difference apart from the colour.
          http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

I'm using stainless steel ferrule with Century Cue tip (G4) currently.
            Can't tell any different from brass ferrule upon potting.
            Maintenance wise, stainless steel stay shiny and won't tarnish like brass.
            Been a year with stainless steel ferrule and I like it
            Resizer_15408523356730.jpg
            Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

If i read deflection again i am gonna scream
              Originally Posted by ronfor0603 View Post
              Was thinking about trying a steel ferrule. Has anyone tried?? Would like to know if there was any difference from brass or phenolic. Heard that maybe there would be more deflection because the ferrule is heavier, is this true??
              Would love to hear your opinion on this.
              Regards Ronnie

Comment

Steel ferrules???

deflection
                deflection
                deflection
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  deflection
                  deflection
                  deflection