How to lock the wrist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lock the wrist?

Recently I find out the reason of my bad game on some days. I always play with the lose wrist, and sometimes my wrist turns slightly during delivery. While using really heavy cue one day I actually feel that movement.

I tried cocking the wrist slightly outwards. But it is so hard to play like that. I need to tense my forearm all the time just to keep wrist cocked. It feels to me like I am doing something wrong.

Maybe change in grip can help or something like that? How do you guys achieve a proper and stable wrist lock, which does not tense the forearm and always stays the same even if you don't think about it.

Is this on all shots or just certain shots? If it's when you're having a longer back swing for power shots, you might be too tight at the back of your grip and your little finger/ring finger might be pushing the cue off line.

Comment

It can happen on any shot for me. I feel that if I am not relaxed enough mentally there is a tendency for muscles to tighten in hesitation of the contact with the cue ball, which sometimes causes my wrist to tighten as well, causing the cue to go offline.

Comment

Okay. Well that's the problem then! I'd guess the tension is originating in your grip. You can be quite tight in your bicep and forearm muscles without the wrist becoming too tense. Your wrist is full of tendons, lots of them, and its probably these that are straining rather than your muscles. Clench your fist and you can feel the tension in your wrist from these tendons pulling. It doesn't take much tension through the hand for the wrist to lose mobility. And it that happens your probably raising the butt on the back swing, or arching it off straight to the side.

Comment

Probably should do some solo practice and work on not gripping so tightly throughout the whole shot

Comment

Working...
          X