Players gambling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players gambling

Saddened to read that Stuart Bingham & Joe Perry have broken the rules of snooker by betting on matches.
    Hope they are both ashamed & will be banned for life if they repeat.
    Don't they make enough money from playing anyway?

Stupid rule. But it is sad that they were so stupid to be caught.

Comment

Not a stupid rule as players could bet on themselves losing & do so deliberately, which would be fraud & corruption.

Comment

I know a few of the pros bet heavy on O'Sullivan the year he won the worlds from a year out as leading up to hit he was battering everyone in practice. It happens providing they are not betting on themselves to lose or win by a margin I personally don't see a problem in it.

Comment

A lot of snooker players friends are players, so one could tell his mates to bet on him losing & deliberately do so

Comment

Originally Posted by RATMAN View Post
            A lot of snooker players friends are players, so one could tell his mates to bet on him losing & deliberately do so
            Or they could offer their opponent the difference in prize money for throwing a game, and bet on themselves to win and pocket the gambling winnings. Could be tempting for a lower ranked player to accept the offer to throw a game if they thought their chances of winning were poor anyway.

Lots of ways it could be fraudulent or corrupt and your average Joe punter is going to be put off from placing bets if they think matches are being rigged.

Comment

Strongly agree, but it probably happens anyway.
              If fraud & corruption were eliminated, we would all be better off.

Comment

It definitely goes on. Not saying anymore than that on the matter though...

You're always being watched.

Comment

I'm not in favour of harsh lifetime bans or anything like that. Appropriate monetary fines I think would better serve the purpose.
                  Yes, snooker players gambling on snooker matches is not right...even if they lose the bet every single time.
                  There's definite conflict of interest here as players themselves do get "inside information", sort of. Whether that's enough to give them the edge over regular gamblers doesn't matter.
                  The fact that we have gambling companies as title sponsors also doesn't matter.
                  To me, this is somewhat comparable to a certain individual being a high profile employee of a particular corporation, and then he starts to trade with stocks of his own company. People have gone to prison for that, many times over.

Comment

Strongly agree, but it probably happens anyway.
                    If fraud & corruption were eliminated, we would all be better off.
                    Yes, identity fraud is becoming a huge problem on the net, isn't it.

-
                    The fast and the furious,
                    The slow and labourious,
                    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Not a stupid rule as players could bet on themselves losing & do so deliberately, which would be fraud & corruption.
                      I meant it's a stupid rule bar betting on a match one is involved in. There again, there's a few stupid rules in the game.

Comment

Bingham, 41, was found guilty of breaking World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) rules on betting on matches involving himself and other players. The world number 10 must also pay £20,000 in costs. The WPBSA said there was no suggestion that he aimed to "influence matches or engage in any corrupt activity". Half of his ban will be suspended.
                        That`s really stupid of him doing it.
                        However how can you not do it? I mean you get some audacious odds to bet on online platforms, which are created for the sole purpose for you to get your attention caught with the "EASY MONEY COMING FAST" scheme and they are ready to go. If I was a big player and need cash really fast, I`d do it, but of course in a way that nobody will understand.

Comment

Originally Posted by Vesselord9 View Post
                          Bingham, 41, was found guilty of breaking World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) rules on betting on matches involving himself and other players. The world number 10 must also pay £20,000 in costs. The WPBSA said there was no suggestion that he aimed to "influence matches or engage in any corrupt activity". Half of his ban will be suspended.
                          However how can you not do it? I mean you get some audacious odds to bet on online platforms, which are created for the sole purpose for you to get your attention caught with the "EASY MONEY COMING FAST" scheme and they are ready to go. If I was a big player and need cash really fast, I`d do it, but of course in a way that nobody will understand.
                          Rules must be obeyed even if we don't agree with them. Top players make plenty of money anyway. If Stuart Bingham had not done this he would be a lot richer!

Comment

Originally Posted by Vesselord9 View Post

It's not as easy as you think ......all money wagered on sports events goes to a central computer , so it is easy to see for them to see the amount of money wagered on games .
                            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Working...
                            X