Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Hi there,

(Relatively new) snooker fan here. I first watched the World Championship final last year between Mark Selby and Ding Junhui. I found it quite enjoyable and got me to learn about the rules of snooker. I sort of kept watching a few matches here and there in between in my free time and just got more and more into it. This year's world championship was the first one that I followed from start to finish, others were mostly after the tournament has been finished, I wasn't really following it.

Being a lot more familiar with snooker now, including the history, I re-watched the first match that I saw, last year's final and it was a new perspective, now understanding a lot more about the game. Even knowing about who the people in commentators are (particularly Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis) made it re-watching completely different too.

My favourite player is Mark Selby. I like his grit and determination and tactical knowledge and he has an excellent A-game as well. As Terry Griffiths said, "There are many ways to win a snooker match. Mark Selby knows all of them." Apart from Mark Selby, Ronnie O' Sullivan is also a big favourite.

So even though it has been just a year, I think I've learnt a lot about the game as I have watched it a lot, basically I have watched a match almost every week since last year's world championship final and also read up on it.

What has been your snooker journey?
    Last edited by Selbyjustbegun; 3 July 2017, 06:35 AM.

Welcome to TSF !! :snooker:
    Glad you're interested in snooker and hope you enjoy
    Your stay here !!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      Welcome to TSF !! :snooker:
      Glad you're interested in snooker and hope you enjoy
      Your stay here !!
      Thank you!

Comment

Welcome to TSF . Have you started playing yet ? or are you just a snooker dogger !
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
          Welcome to TSF . Have you started playing yet ? or are you just a snooker dogger !
          Thank you!

I just enjoy watching. Maybe I will try it sometimes for fun. I have played pool a couple of times but that's about it. Yourself?
          Last edited by Selbyjustbegun; 3 July 2017, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I turn up every week and knock balls around on a green cloth . Sometimes they even go in the holes !!!
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Welcome!
              A quick answer to your question.
              Sat with my brother one evening watching snooker (Pot Black) and asked him how do they get the cue ball to roll backwards after hitting a red. He said, they hit the cue ball at the bottom. So one day we went out to try it...
              35 years later I'm still trying master the game. :snooker:
              "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
              National Snooker Expo
              25-27 October 2019
              http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Selbyjustbegun View Post
                Thank you!

I just enjoy watching. Maybe I will try it sometimes for fun. I have played pool a couple of times but that's about it. Yourself?
                Go and try it, even if it's just for an hour,it will give you even more of an insight into just how good these pros are.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                  I turn up every week and knock balls around on a green cloth . Sometimes they even go in the holes !!!
                  Cool, how long has it been?

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                  Welcome!
                  A quick answer to your question.
                  Sat with my brother one evening watching snooker (Pot Black) and asked him how do they get the cue ball to roll backwards after hitting a red. He said, they hit the cue ball at the bottom. So one day we went out to try it...
                  35 years later I'm still trying master the game. :snooker:
                  Cool story, how good do you think your game is now?

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  Go and try it, even if it's just for an hour,it will give you even more of an insight into just how good these pros are.
                  Yeah just from my struggling to pot balls in pool (though in fairness I've only gone like 6 or 7 times), I was quite amazed at how many balls they were able to pot in succession. I also learned about safety play and it was not something I had considered before, I thought it was just about potting. And I also had no idea about having to play for position as well so I was quite amazed at that as well. So I thought it was on a quite different level. It does come from having no previous knowledge about the game as well but I think I've learned quite a lot about the game in now over a year.

But yes, I certainly intend to give it a go and try it myself, although I don't really see myself getting good at it. Should be a fun try.

Comment

Originally Posted by Selbyjustbegun View Post
                    Cool, how long has it been?

Cool story, how good do you think your game is now?
                    Got the ability to make good breaks and pot difficult balls. I can't complain... :snooker:
                    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                    National Snooker Expo
                    25-27 October 2019
                    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                      Got the ability to make good breaks and pot difficult balls. I can't complain... :snooker:
                      That sounds great. Sounds like you really enjoy it. Have you ever competed as well?

Comment

Working...
                      X