Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing A Fault: Cue Action Veering to Left (with videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing A Fault: Cue Action Veering to Left (with videos)

If anyone is able to share some light on this subject—and I'm sure it has been discussed before—but I would really appreciate the help and advice.

A little background information: I've played pool for 7 years; snooker for about a year and a half. Sometimes I can knock in 30s and 40s with relative ease, other times I can't aim straight at all.

There wasn't much time to record as the light was about to go out but I tried to highlight the fault in my cue action by playing at a harder pace than normal, not really focussing too much on precision. All I wanted to do was find the flaw, and slow play didn't show it.

https://youtu.be/S86R3-rGgAg

https://youtu.be/Pn4Rj9npUK8

https://youtu.be/LKzddCsCc3Y

https://youtu.be/xoRhABaJZ4c

As I deliver the cue, the tip veers left on and/or after contact. Many attempts to correct it went unsuccessful, and that's why I'm here.

If anyone has some advice or have fixed the same fault with their own game, please share.

Best regards,
    Jonathan

My advice is... Stop doing it!

But seriously. Slow your cue action right down. Deliver the cue in front of you (using no balls), and watch it come through straight. Analyse what you're doing, watch the cue come back on the back swing, and then watch it come forward nice and straight.

There is nothing you can really be told that will stop it, other than to pick apart your cue action and find out what you're doing.

Good luck.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I agree with tedisbill. They only thing I can add is I understand that it's frustrating but do try to stay positive. I find that negativity tends to manifest itself physically either through tension or a lack of focus. I noticed on a couple shots you popped up early to see the ball go in the pocket, I try focus on having zero head movement.

I like trying to do some strokes without a ball, it's a good way to see where you are going wrong. Often players do funny things in anticipation of hittin the ball. They hit at the ball and not through it.

Comment

You've got quite a bit of head movement. Try to stop that first. And it also looks like you trying to cue around your chest. Keep your elbow high and try to hit your chest at the same place every time. Practice on the kitchen table. Hope that helps.

Comment

Fixing A Fault: Cue Action Veering to Left (with videos)

can you ask the camera man to step a bit further back when behind so your butt hand is in view for the whole process.
          I think you are moving this hand around your body as you deliver.
          Last edited by DeanH; 27 May 2018, 08:43 AM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Loosen the grip, slow down the backswing to where it just crawls back, keep the entire upper body still from the time you get down until AFTER the shot is completed, drive the cue hand through to the chest every shot and be sure to accelerate THROUGH the cueball.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

sorry you are a typical chest thumper, look at ronnies action, follow through and chest thumping do not go hand in hand

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                sorry you are a typical chest thumper, look at ronnies action, follow through and chest thumping do not go hand in hand
                Ronnie's technique is unique to Ronnie and only works for him. Asking somebody to copy it is fraud with danger. You might as well advise him to watch a load of Alex Higgins videos

Comment

Thank you for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I'm playing as I type, and putting into practice all your tips. I agree that my hand is hitting my chest on every shot, as if I'm cueing around my body.

Those videos were taken after I was fuming about my snooker yesterday. I don't normally move so much after a shot. I'll try to take some more videos next week.

Thank you again for your help. It's certainly working but I'm not following through, in fear I'll hit my chest.

Some coaching will help but you've been a huge help. Thanks guys.

Comment

I don't drop my elbow (I think) so wouldn't copy Ronnie. I actually play quite well at times but every now and then everything out of sync. Thought I'd record it this time as I get so annoyed with myself for these huge inconsistencies.

Comment

Originally Posted by JonathanWilson View Post
                      I don't drop my elbow (I think) so wouldn't copy Ronnie. I actually play quite well at times but every now and then everything out of sync. Thought I'd record it this time as I get so annoyed with myself for these huge inconsistencies.
                      You definitely drop your elbow in the first vid mate

Comment

I'm playing 100% better thanks to the forum's help. A quick question: Am I to shoot past my chest? I hit into, and past, my chest on every shot (before today).

Right now, I'm staying down on the shot, taking longer backswings, and hitting smoother and less tense. Seems to have improved a lot. Who needs a coach when there's this forum?

😐 I do.

Comment

It is good practice to drive through and beyond the cueball but you don't have to 'thump' the grip hand into the chest but on completion of the stroke stay still for 1-2 seconds with the cue extended. The grip should come to the chest if it's done right. Just imagine you're hitting the object ball with your tip and you'll get the idea. Acceleration should be constant after a slow start to the delivery and right to the end of the stroke.
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
                            Just watched them again. Either it's my natural tendency or complacency. Unsure. Thank you for pointing it out.

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
                              Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              It is good practice to drive through and beyond the cueball but you don't have to 'thump' the grip hand into the chest but on completion of the stroke stay still for 1-2 seconds with the cue extended. The grip should come to the chest if it's done right. Just imagine you're hitting the object ball with your tip and you'll get the idea. Acceleration should be constant after a slow start to the delivery and right to the end of the stroke.
                              Thank you, Terry, for your posts. I've read them all and have taken your advice to the table. I'm still there now.

Best regards,
                              Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X