can't cue straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't cue straight

hi all i'm new to the forum,i play pool and the snooker technique has really improved my game however i've been playing for years with a crooked stroke & just can't get rid of it.i changed my elbow placement about 3-4 months ago as my elbow/shoulder were sticking out to my right & i now have my cue arm hidden behind the head and i've tried just about anything but i still can't fix the problem. as you can see in the video i have a little side to side upper arm movement but i just don't know how to cure this..any help would be appreciated.

Welcome! I'm having a similar problem, I've had some good advice from people on here already http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...uck-in-a-rut-(

from doing some reading and looking at your video it seems your sighting is slightly off, 7 secs in. Im not an expert by any means but to me (could be massively wrong) the line of the cue from your bridge hand to your grip hand is off so your grip hand will always be shifting from side to side as you're seeing in the video. Again not sure if I am correct on this so apologies but I am sure that there is a coach on here that will look and tell you. In the mean time check out this website I was given, its helped me alot after reading it http://fcsnooker.co.uk/coaching/basi...nd_cue_arm.htm

Comment

thanks for the response.what do you suggest to try in order to fix this?

Comment

excellent question...if your happy with have a cue arm that protrudes to the right (or left from face view) then I would think your grip may be slightly off. The fcsnooker website also helps you with your grip (at the bottom theres a link)
        going off purely anatomical knowledge, if your arm protrudes to the right but your wrist on the grip arm is locked straight with the cue in your fingers naturally your arm will move and wobble so could try adopting a a grip more in the palm of your hand.
        could also try just simply practising keeping your shoulder locked and moving your elbow in a straight line, your shoulder should not move at all, seems likes you are feathering with your shoulder. I was doing a similar thing so a friend of mine actually held my shoulder and elbow to stop it moving while feathering so i got the feel for it, eventually it becomes 2nd nature.
        Again, im no expert so dont take this as gospel.....i may be talking utter bull, someone more knowledgeable will pop up im sure.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
          I definitely agree with you about snooker improving your pool - this has been the same for me. I was predominantly a pool player until 4-5 years ago and have been taking snooker more seriously since - and as a result my pool game has improved no end. Although I have to say I'd rather be good at snooker now! The difference between pool and snooker is largely technique. Yes, obviously the tables and balls are very different etc, but I mean you can be very, very good at pool with just an okay technique. Indeed there are lots of pool players at national and even international level who have (at least in snooker terms) a fairly dodgy technique. This is because you can get away with it in pool, but not snooker!
          From your video (at least from that angle) it looks like you've got a fairly decent setup. It would be good to see you play an actual shot I guess. But what I would be interested in is what your right elbow is doing. If you watch it seems that your right elbow is moving from side to side slightly while you draw the cue back and push through. This is where your problem is. I am just not sure why from this angle.
          Remember that it is okay (good, in fact) for your elbow to drop as you cue through. Up and down movement of the elbow is fine, but sideways is bad.
          Things to check for possible cause would be whether your right forearm is hanging down perfectly vertical. It should be, but if its at an angle then you're in trouble. If its not that then check your grip. You just need to hold the cue quite securely (but not tight) between your thumb as first finger. The other fingers should be there for support, and they should release as you take the cue back, then re-grip the cue as you push through. You shouldn't be holding on to the cue with all fingers during the backswing.
          If you try any of this and you're still struggling, maybe upload another video from another angle. From behind and from the side would be good. Like I say, your setup looks pretty good from that angle so you're doing okay!

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
            Welcome to the forum!
            I definitely agree with you about snooker improving your pool - this has been the same for me. I was predominantly a pool player until 4-5 years ago and have been taking snooker more seriously since - and as a result my pool game has improved no end. Although I have to say I'd rather be good at snooker now! The difference between pool and snooker is largely technique. Yes, obviously the tables and balls are very different etc, but I mean you can be very, very good at pool with just an okay technique. Indeed there are lots of pool players at national and even international level who have (at least in snooker terms) a fairly dodgy technique. This is because you can get away with it in pool, but not snooker!
            From your video (at least from that angle) it looks like you've got a fairly decent setup. It would be good to see you play an actual shot I guess. But what I would be interested in is what your right elbow is doing. If you watch it seems that your right elbow is moving from side to side slightly while you draw the cue back and push through. This is where your problem is. I am just not sure why from this angle.
            Remember that it is okay (good, in fact) for your elbow to drop as you cue through. Up and down movement of the elbow is fine, but sideways is bad.
            Things to check for possible cause would be whether your right forearm is hanging down perfectly vertical. It should be, but if its at an angle then you're in trouble. If its not that then check your grip. You just need to hold the cue quite securely (but not tight) between your thumb as first finger. The other fingers should be there for support, and they should release as you take the cue back, then re-grip the cue as you push through. You shouldn't be holding on to the cue with all fingers during the backswing.
            If you try any of this and you're still struggling, maybe upload another video from another angle. From behind and from the side would be good. Like I say, your setup looks pretty good from that angle so you're doing okay!
            I was half right! could be why im only halfway fixing my own set up haha

Comment

Although you're not really looking at anything, it seems that you sight with your right eye, cue slightly to the right of your chin. I would try squaring up your stance, left foot parallel with the right, not in front of it, which would naturally bring your cue arm more directly in line behind your head.
              This might stop the side to side movement. but remember to look at the object ball on the delivery stroke as your hand will follow your eye, and no amount of fiddling with your stance will improve your action if you don't do this, as even those with dead straight cueing miss sitters when they take their eye off the pot.

Comment

I really don't understand what air stroking is supposed to show? Let's have some numbers.
                What's you current high break at snooker? Since you say you have played pool for years, what's you high score at 14.1 straight pool?

Comment

can't cue straight

did he say he played straight pool?
                  coaching is not just for the pros
                  www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

No, but straight pool is the best (only?) way to sort of get the feel of how capable the player is on American equipment. Not as hard as snooker, but much much harder than 9ball or 8ball.

Comment

Well he may never have played it, so until he comes back on and says so it's hard to comment.
                      If he's in UK i doubt he has played ??

Comment

i have tried to keep my shoulder as still as i can while feathering but the cue just has that little sideways motion..one thing i notice when i do this like in this vid,after 3-4 feathers,my wrist starts to turn outwards to my right,don't know if that's an indication of what is going wrong

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                          Welcome to the forum!
                          yes i have seen some players with bad techniques who get away with it in pool and run racks..but i can't get away with it lol..i will try the grip you suggested although i've tried opening/closing my grip hand and it never works out well

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                            Although you're not really looking at anything, it seems that you sight with your right eye, cue slightly to the right of your chin. I would try squaring up your stance, left foot parallel with the right, not in front of it, which would naturally bring your cue arm more directly in line behind your head.
                            This might stop the side to side movement. but remember to look at the object ball on the delivery stroke as your hand will follow your eye, and no amount of fiddling with your stance will improve your action if you don't do this, as even those with dead straight cueing miss sitters when they take their eye off the pot.
                            no i am even-sighted,it may seem that way because of my upper-arm side movement..actually in this vid i'm using a square stance but at the time i was favoring my bent (left) foot in weight distribution & twisting at the hips.i now favor my back foot in weight & try to use my chest as a guide at all times but i still have that upper arm movement

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                              I really don't understand what air stroking is supposed to show? Let's have some numbers.
                              What's you current high break at snooker? Since you say you have played pool for years, what's you high score at 14.1 straight pool?
                              i have never played straight pool & rarely play snooker..i'm not here to show off,i came here to get help.if you don't have anything worthy to contribute in this thread,then please leave..

Comment

Working...
                              X