Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you use 0000 grit steel wool to clean your cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you use 0000 grit steel wool to clean your cue?

I have been advised to do this many times in the last 6 years since re-starting snooker.

0000 grit is fine enough to just take the dirt and grime off the cue.

Do you agree or disagree that it could be used to keep the cue shaft smoother and clean.

Just interested in everyone's opinion.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Mate I personally wouldn't use 0000 grit steel wool, as I don't think it is nearly fine enough, but I don't know much.

The lowest grit I use on my shaft to take off dirt and grime is 7000 grit sandpaper, then a finish with 10000 grit, comes out really nice. I have used 1000 grit sandpaper before and that takes off way to much in my opinion, and from my understanding 0000 wool and 1000 grit sandpaper are about the same, maybe another bloke will chime in.

Comment

Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
      Mate I personally wouldn't use 0000 grit steel wool, as I don't think it is nearly fine enough, but I don't know much.

The lowest grit I use on my shaft to take off dirt and grime is 7000 grit sandpaper, then a finish with 10000 grit, comes out really nice. I have used 1000 grit sandpaper before and that takes off way to much in my opinion, and from my understanding 0000 wool and 1000 grit sandpaper are about the same, maybe another bloke will chime in.
      Thanks for that, I will await a few answers before giving another stance.

Comment

I use this stuff and am happy with it, and it's fairly cheap, had some other brands that would fall apart if you tried to clean them.

After the 10000 grit finishing I like to use a piece of leather to burnish the shaft. One other thing mate, all my shafts are maple, so there may be a different technique for ash shafts?

I look forward to seeing what others have to say as well.

Comment

Absolutely fine to use 0000 wire wool just be gentle

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            I have been advised to do this many times in the last 6 years since re-starting snooker.

0000 grit is fine enough to just take the dirt and grime off the cue.

Do you agree or disagree that it could be used to keep the cue shaft smoother and clean.

Just interested in everyone's opinion.
            I would never use 0000 steel wool on its own to clean a cue shaft.
            If you are going to use it I suggest you mix linseed oil,white vinegar and pure turps. Then soak the 0000 steel wool
            with it.

Personally I just use A4 paper.
            You can see all the green crap come off and leaves the cue with a nice silky finish which you wouldn't have if you used 0000 steel wool

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
              I would never use 0000 steel wool on its own to clean a cue shaft.
              If you are going to use it I suggest you mix linseed oil,white vinegar and pure turps. Then soak the 0000 steel wool
              with it.

Personally I just use A4 paper.
              You can see all the green crap come off and leaves the cue with a nice silky finish which you wouldn't have if you used 0000 steel wool
              I can say that 0000 steel wool after an evening takes ll the chalk off and leaves the cue silky smooth; I'm just adding to the conversation as I'm not saying it should be used.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                I'm always gentle Dave.

If you feel it's ok, how often do you think?

Just before you play each time to give you a nice smooth shaft?

Comment

I'm always gentle Dave.

If you feel it's ok, how often do you think?

Just before you play each time to give you a nice smooth shaft?
                  Just every now and then, I wouldn't use it before every session, I just use a cloth before I start playing and regularly whilst playing and again when I'm finished.

Comment

Just every now and then, I wouldn't use it before every session, I just use a cloth before I start playing and regularly whilst playing and again when I'm finished.
                    So not far off once a session, could be before but mainly after.

Comment

So not far off once a session, could be before but mainly after.
                      Only if I think I need to use it really mate

Comment

I used 0000 grit steel wool for around 5 years before every session as it apparently only ever takes the chalk off. Over a sustained period I can say that on an ash cue it takes a little more than that.

The taper on this particular cue has now changed and the cue is now much more whippier due to this.

The thread was just to warn people that although it looks like a good idea on the surface, its still an abrasive and there are alternatives to cleaning the chalk and grime off.

Comment

I used 0000 grit steel wool for around 5 years before every session as it apparently only ever takes the chalk off. Over a sustained period I can say that on an ash cue it takes a little more than that.

The taper on this particular cue has now changed and the cue is now much more whippier due to this.

The thread was just to warn people that although it looks like a good idea on the surface, its still an abrasive and there are alternatives to cleaning the chalk and grime off.
                          before every session is a little often, iused to do it around once every 6 months!
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I think if it's a cue with just regular muck on it, clean it with paper towel and some 97% alcohol once in a while.

after oiling you can give it a light rub with some wirewool 0000, no need to use it otherwise I think.

Comment

I also wouldn't recommend using 0000 Wire Wool all the time, I would get Light colour flannel or small hand towel soak corner in warm water and ring it so tight no water comes out quick clean on shaft down grain and then Dry/Buff immedaitely with Soft Bone Dry Towel keeps shaft clean at all times and you will see how much Dirt/Chalk coming off your shaft.

Gaz.

Comment

Working...
                              X