Two tons in match play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two tons in match play

I'm not sure I can be arsed to do the max line up attempt to prove my worth, so hopefully this Pro-am I won yesterday is enough. Apologies, once again to Stuart 'Ballrun' Bingham, who knocked me out of the last Pro-am at this club, but Winner Winner chicken dinner!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00010368365324
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

I agree. The line-up is just a designed set-up to help with potting and positional play but the set-up can be configured to maximize the chances of getting a 147. Try getting a 147 with reds between brown and blue and fewer reds between black and cushion. It's much better to count centuries, especially in match play where it counts. I used to be able to do that but sadly no longer but at that time I was getting 2-3 centuries in practice per week, but I never counted them at all because they shouldn't count.

Besides, a player can look great on the line-up, even running 147s but then never shows up for tournaments. There are a few examples on here who say they are only in for the enjoyment but then brag about their big breaks in practice which to me means absolutely nothing unless they're done under tournament pressure.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
      I'm not sure I can be arsed to do the max line up attempt to prove my worth, so hopefully this Pro-am I won yesterday is enough. Apologies, once again to Stuart 'Ballrun' Bingham, who knocked me out of the last Pro-am at this club, but Winner Winner chicken dinner!

Some good players were at that event so very well done mate. I was tempted to play in this but not played competitively for a while and the travel put me off. Certainly if you can win in this field you are miles ahead of most on here and have proved your worth more than a line up.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        I agree. The line-up is just a designed set-up to help with potting and positional play but the set-up can be configured to maximize the chances of getting a 147. Try getting a 147 with reds between brown and blue and fewer reds between black and cushion. It's much better to count centuries, especially in match play where it counts. I used to be able to do that but sadly no longer but at that time I was getting 2-3 centuries in practice per week, but I never counted them at all because they shouldn't count.

Besides, a player can look great on the line-up, even running 147s but then never shows up for tournaments. There are a few examples on here who say they are only in for the enjoyment but then brag about their big breaks in practice which to me means absolutely nothing unless they're done under tournament pressure.
        when you say you were getting 2-3 centuries per week in practice but not counting them... was this in practice frames against an opponent? If so they definitely count for me unless you were playing people who couldn't hold a cue ....to be honest the fact Magicman has won in that field says more about his standard than a couple of 100s in competition - which doesn't really impress me as much. You could make 2 100s in a best of 5 but crumble in a tough match. To win against top amateurs who are playing tough match snooker regularly is far more impressive to me.
        Last edited by dcrackers147; 29 January 2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
          when you say you were getting 2-3 centuries per week in practice but not counting them... was this in practice frames against an opponent? If so they definitely count for me unless you were playing people who couldn't hold a cue ....to be honest the fact Magicman has won in that field says more about his standard than a couple of 100s in competition - which doesn't really impress me as much. You could make 2 100s in a best of 5 but crumble in a tough match. To win against top amateurs who are playing tough match snooker regularly is far more impressive to me.
          Mostly solo practice with some opponents thrown in here and there. I did however count the 147s I had against opponents, one of them being a pro (not a great one though). I never counted the centuries or total clearances I've had using the line-up either.
          Terry Davidson

Comment

Mostly solo practice with some opponents thrown in here and there. I did however count the 147s I had against opponents, one of them being a pro (not a great one though). I never counted the centuries or total clearances I've had using the line-up either.
            Yes I would never count solo practice breaks (didn't think anybody did) but breaks against good standard opponents in practice 100% count, as if you miss you will be sitting out for a while. You must miss the standard of competition in the UK Terry as you know without experiencing that pressure on a regular basis makes it very tough to compete.

Comment

I had my highest break in solo practise last week, a 70 which I was buzzing with, it doesn't count though and my highest break remains 56 which was against an opponent, solo breaks don't count.

Comment

Some good players were at that event so very well done mate. I was tempted to play in this but not played competitively for a while and the travel put me off. Certainly if you can win in this field you are miles ahead of most on here and have proved your worth more than a line up.
                Thanks for that! I think much is made of high breaks and centuries, where the more experienced players know that match snooker is a different thing all together.
                Donkeys years ago, I made a Pro-am final and hadn't had a fifty break all day!
                Yesterday, I had two centuries enroute to the final, although Barry Pinches had the highest, with a 134.
                I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Thanks for that! I think much is made of high breaks and centuries, where the more experienced players know that match snooker is a different thing all together.
                  Donkeys years ago, I made a Pro-am final and hadn't had a fifty break all day!
                  Yesterday, I had two centuries enroute to the final, although Barry Pinches had the highest, with a 134.
                  that's 100% right, it's all about keeping control of the table and playing yourself into the competition. As you know there will be days when you come up against someone flying and you just have to say well played. Pinches is still quality as has so much experience so Ryan done well to take him out. Obviously Ryan can be a good scorer when he gets going so good win in the final for you.

Comment

Yes I would never count solo practice breaks (didn't think anybody did) but breaks against good standard opponents in practice 100% count, as if you miss you will be sitting out for a while. You must miss the standard of competition in the UK Terry as you know without experiencing that pressure on a regular basis makes it very tough to compete.
                    When I was playing in Britain we had a pro-am almost every weekend through the season, but I don't think it's that way over there these days. I believe the best way for a player to get to be really good is for him to play in every tournament he can but unfortunately the opportunities are not there as much anymore.

Over here we have 10 ranking tournaments per season and although I'm pretty much past it these days I still really enjoy playing in our little mini-tour and do manage to win the odd match against fairly good players (for Canadians of course). I even managed to get to the 1/4-finals this past Saturday from a field of 32. The problem is I started at 11am and broke off in the 1/4's at 8pm, so I was pretty well spent (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it). My young opponent (around 25yrs or so) had plenty left in the tank and made the finals but lost to Floyd Zeigler after midnight.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Nice result magicman, you must be seriously talented to win in a comp like that. Would still be nice to watch you playing if you ever get chance to do a video.

Comment

Very impressive Magicman, great to see you competing at such a high standard. Also the 147 line up wasn't meant to call you out and prove your worth, just thought it be nice to see some good players on video showcasing their skill

Comment

Over here we have 10 ranking tournaments per season and although I'm pretty much past it these days I still really enjoy playing in our little mini-tour and do manage to win the odd match against fairly good players (for Canadians of course). I even managed to get to the 1/4-finals this past Saturday from a field of 32. The problem is I started at 11am and broke off in the 1/4's at 8pm, so I was pretty well spent (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it). My young opponent (around 25yrs or so) had plenty left in the tank and made the finals but lost to Floyd Zeigler after midnight.[/QUOTE]

The amateur game is miles away from what it once was in the UK and actually the over 40's have more on offer with the seniors tour than the younger players coming through. Which is why older players like Magicman are more often than not winning the Pro Ams, when you consider the young hopefuls are putting in full time practice VS the older guys who are naturally not as good as they once were it doesn't bode well for the future of youth snooker in the UK.

The last paragraph was the main reason I stopped playing in bigger amateur tournaments.. leaving your house by say 8am travelling to an event that if you or even worse your travel partner done well in wouldn't be leaving until sometimes gone 11pm for the 3 odd hour drive back home and then work on the Monday....I remember making a couple of finals lost them both partly because I had been waiting for so long since I won my semi I was now totally cold again and my concentration was shot.

Comment

Cheers for the comments guys! The Castle club have asked me if I mind them posting one or both of my centuries on Facebook and I said I was okay with that although personally I think they should be putting Barry Pinches 134 up, not mine.

Long single day comps are always tough. I started against Matt Glasby at 10am, and the final finished at past 10pm. Hard to stay energised and focused over that length of time. I've played in EASB finals still going after midnight!

Comment

Nice call out Terry, real subtle of you. For your information, just because some people don't play in YOUR events does not mean that they dont "show up for tournaments". I play in weeklies and win them quite frequently....Were not all living the retired life, some of us still have to work. Maybe one of these days Ill take a weekend off and hopefully draw you first round. Then we can finally compete under this (tournament pressure) you speak of. And yea bash the 147 challenge all you want instead of actually having a go at it yourself, you'll just continue to sound saltier than you already do
                              Last edited by OmaMiesta; 30 January 2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X