Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed for a new cue

Hi there.

I'm new to this forum and joined to get advice and to do research into a new cue. I have been playing for many years both professionally and now for pleasure. I used to play in the ladies England squad years ago for both snooker and pool. I have been looking at cues up to £500 as I would like a good quality one. I know price isn't everything, to be honest, my favourite cue is a Powerglide Executive which I have had for over 20 years and I played top professional games with that! Although many laughed at it, they didn't when I beat them with it!! So I know price isn't everything. I have researched John Parris as that seems the most popular and although most people praise them, I have seen many others getting equally good if not better reviews for a fraction of the cost.

So to summarise, I like a medium to heavy cue, ive used 17-18oz, tip size doesn't worry me that much, I certainly won't get agitated like I have seen others do unless it's ridiculously narrow!! I guess it's personal preference. Nothing larger than 58". I haven't played with a one piece before so I would quite like others opinions on the difference.

I'm guessing as I'm new, I am unable to view others profiles and sales pages until I have done 6 posts, so I'm posting this relatively blind so to speak until I can, i cannot even send any pm to people yet as I have tried!!! I'm in East Anglia and would ideally like to try different cues before I buy but unsure where to go to do this. Most places I've googled, only offer their own make and higher end cues are quite difficult to find in shops or snooker halls. Do I just take a punt and buy one and if I don't get on with it sell it? Is that what people do?

I look forward to hearing others recommendations and thoughts.

Originally Posted by Monkeyminx View Post
    ...... I'm in East Anglia and would ideally like to try different cues before I buy but unsure where to go to do this. Most places I've googled, only offer their own make and higher end cues are quite difficult to find in shops or snooker halls. Do I just take a punt and buy one and if I don't get on with it sell it? Is that what people do? ......
    Hello there, welcome to the forum
    Yes most people buy blind then possibly have to re-sell if they cannot get on with it, that's not ideal at all is it !
    I would recommend a road trip up North to here https://www.greenbaize.com/ Stu has literally 500+ cues and a couple of tables to try them out on, so surely you will find something to suit you

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of options available for that price and you can great quality cues for less than that too.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Hello there, welcome to the forum
        Yes most people buy blind then possibly have to re-sell if they cannot get on with it, that's not ideal at all is it !
        I would recommend a road trip up North to here https://www.greenbaize.com/ Stu has literally 500+ cues and a couple of tables to try them out on, so surely you will find something to suit you
        Thank you. I think a road trip is in order! I do like the idea of trying lots of different makes before buying! ��

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
          Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of options available for that price and you can great quality cues for less than that too.
          Thanks. I definitely have lots to research!!

Comment

Thank you. I think a road trip is in order! I do like the idea of trying lots of different makes before buying! ��
            I think all the cues there are from Thailand, but they make a decent cue, and usually all have good looking shafts, there are plenty of pics on his website to drool over, got to be able to fall in love with a few ehh !
            Really is a shame that there isn't some place that stocks Parris, White, Wooldridge etc etc under one roof, gap in the market for someone

Comment

Hello there, Frank Sandell in Worthing area maybe nearer to you, has a great name and a snooker shack full of memorabilia!

Some details:- Check out franksandellcuesport .co.uk I have coached in the Eastbourne area for decades and have a very active cue supply business where you can "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY" in complete privacy. You can call me on 01903 238571 to chat things over. I am in Worthing.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I think all the cues there are from Thailand, but they make a decent cue, and usually all have good looking shafts, there are plenty of pics on his website to drool over, got to be able to fall in love with a few ehh !
                Really is a shame that there isn't some place that stocks Parris, White, Wooldridge etc etc under one roof, gap in the market for someone
                To be fair, I haven't looked too in depth at the cues from Thailand, not saying I would disregard them, I would like to see what they are like to play with, it's just that I have been more interested in locally made ones.

It's an amazing gap in the market for someone to have a place to stock Parris, White, Wooldridge etc .... come on guys, surely someone wants to pick up on this gold nugget!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                  Hello there, Frank Sandell in Worthing area maybe nearer to you, has a great name and a snooker shack full of memorabilia!

Some details:- Check out franksandellcuesport .co.uk I have coached in the Eastbourne area for decades and have a very active cue supply business where you can "TRY BEFORE YOU BUY" in complete privacy. You can call me on 01903 238571 to chat things over. I am in Worthing.
                  Hi. Thank you I will definitely look into Frank Sandell. I like the idea of doing a massive road trip all over the UK trying out amazing cues!!!! You do know something though..... being a woman.... I'll probably like the first one I tried and have to go back to the other end of the UK to get it!!!!

Comment

also recommend Green Baize and only wish it was a bit closer :How knows you may bump into a pro or two practising there

Also recommend Frank = been there twice and never long enough to chat away the hours with a great gent. Yes he does have a few cues for sale but just take in the memorabilia and the stories

There are a couple of cue makers here on TSF, Ninja cues is in London somewhere, who I am sure could make you a cue to your taste

A few friend have Thai cues (Ton Praram and Maximus) and they are fantastic cues - knock socks off most Parris cues I have seen (not all but most) for a lot less money
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      also recommend Green Baize and only wish it was a bit closer :How knows you may bump into a pro or two practising there

Also recommend Frank = been there twice and never long enough to chat away the hours with a great gent. Yes he does have a few cues for sale but just take in the memorabilia and the stories

There are a couple of cue makers here on TSF, Ninja cues is in London somewhere, who I am sure could make you a cue to your taste

A few friend have Thai cues (Ton Praram and Maximus) and they are fantastic cues - knock socks off most Parris cues I have seen (not all but most) for a lot less money
                      Hi. I definitely need to go see Stu at Green Baize, the name keeps coming up constantly on the forum!

Frank sounds a very interesting man and I can't wait to meet him and see all the goodies and memorabilia.

To be honest, I've never even thought about having a cue made to my spec, definitely something to think about!

I really love to hear that some of the Thai cues are better than Parris ones. It is refreshing to hear that other makes are right up there as well and it is reassuring that not everyone is a sheep and just wants a particular badge.

This is why I welcome all opinions. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same!!!

Comment

Hi. Thank you I will definitely look into Frank Sandell. I like the idea of doing a massive road trip all over the UK trying out amazing cues!!!! You do know something though..... being a woman.... I'll probably like the first one I tried and have to go back to the other end of the UK to get it!!!!
                        Lolz, happy hunting and good luck.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                          Lolz, happy hunting and good luck.
                          Thanks! I'll let you know how I get on!

Comment

Hi Monkeyminx,

I saw you are in East Anglia, I live in Norwich and I am relatively new to the forum too. I know the problem you mention: living here is a bit out of the snooker radar, cue makers with show-rooms are far away and "trying before buying" is really difficult.

I do not know if this could help you but I am selling one of my cues right now -- a Peradon Eden, hardly used (10 times or less). But it seems to me that you are looking for very good / top-end cues, so perhaps you are after something better/more expensive than the Eden? Anyway, if you want to try it that is no problem for me: we can meet in Norwich (I usually play at Woodside, but any club is fine) and you can have a frame or two with it, with no commitment to buy. Feel free to let me know. But apart from that:

if it's not just "the occasional cue" you are after, but you are really looking for "the one", then there is no alternative, buying on internet does not work, you need to try it in person (and even spend some time on it). True, in our cases that means travelling quite a bit, but I think it will be worth it: if it's a genuine passion, driving some miles is part of it!

Comment

Yes ADR is missing a trick here
                              Current playing cue Trevor White
                              3/4 ash cue

Comment

Working...
                              X