Palm wood butt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm wood butt?

Hi all, just about to order a pool cue, went to pick my woods, and lying around I found a railway sleeper sized plank of palm wood. I want the cue spliced very high (25/26in), could I use the palm wood for the full butt? Would look stunning if I could, but I can't remember ever seeing it used like this before? Any advice would be much appreciated 👍
    Danny

Originally Posted by gagg8ball View Post
    Hi all, just about to order a pool cue, went to pick my woods, and lying around I found a railway sleeper sized plank of palm wood. I want the cue spliced very high (25/26in), could I use the palm wood for the full butt? Would look stunning if I could, but I can't remember ever seeing it used like this before? Any advice would be much appreciated 
    Danny
    a railway sleeper size would be enough for loads of cues!
    seen palm wood butts from old unclevit (years ago ) and they did look very smart
    where are you located (approx.) that may help with any local maker that may be willing to take on the project
    any picture of the "sleeper" would be nice to see?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

My local cue maker had it in the corner of his workshop!!! Was just checking it wasn't a big no no. Just got to pick lower splices now 🙈

Comment

I'll put a pic up tomorrow when I go there again. It was like Aladdin's cave in there I was a bit sweaty in the palm 😂

Comment

Also seen a Trevor White cue with palm wood butt splices some years ago.
          Now, don't go made with the others splices, let the palm wood stand out on its own as much as possible
          good luck

Comment

Gotta be honest ATM I was thinking 4 lighter coloured splices at the bottom! There were serious different burr stumps everywhere, I won't be able to refuse 😫

Comment

the TW cue had 4x chateviga(?) splices which is an orangey coloured wood which - to me - did not look good on the palm

Comment

Lol was thinking Amboyna- doesn't get more orange really 😂 Might just have 1 long face splice then, jet black ebony could look good against the palm? Too much bloody choice 😁

Comment

always love amboyna burr
                  red or gold mallee or karelian(masur) birch (lovely golden colour)

Comment

They're all favourites, I'll see what he's got, cheers 👍

Comment

even a nicely figured rosewood can be nice against the black butt splicies

Comment

Originally Posted by gagg8ball View Post
                        They're all favourites, I'll see what he's got, cheers 👍
                        It's would be interesting for me to see how that goes.... As the times I've used it.
                        Keeping it stable was a real pain but that was a veneered top and guess there is more I need to learn about dealing with it, as I sure don't know it all..
                        For that one you've always wanted...
                        https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Tbf the guy who's making it hasn't used it for a main butt before, let alone the extra long splices, so it's a bit of an experiment I suppose!!! Fingers crossed 🤞

Comment

Went with 1 long face splice in ebony, with a masur birch splice on top, round butt. The wait begins 😫

Comment

IMG_1628.MP4. Not sure if that's worked, can't seem to upload?? The cues been spliced and he's a good way into it 😁 The palmwood is beautiful already

Comment

Working...
                              X